Yes, I have/know someone with autism. 0.39285714285714 39.3% [ 22 ]
No 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. 0.125 12.5% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 56 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 21 22 > >>

Shameless Hoarder

Humphreypoptart
<3 For your thread. heart
You did a really good job, and I can tell you did a lot of work on it.

Thanks, but the real work hasn't even started yet. razz

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Beautiful Grotesque
The Legendary Guest
*echos Shanra's sentiments* (=

ASDs are pretty common in my family, as well as other neurodiversities.

Care to share your story? smile

Certainly! (=

My mother's cousin (closer to my age) has a son with AS and another who is high-functioning. My father, myself, and all 4 of my kids have that so-necessary (-_-) Dx of ADHD, my father, myself and one of my kids have sensory issues that noticeably aggravate us....

Dad: *stops dead in his tracks in the mall* Do you smell that? O_O
Mom: Smell what?
Dad" Something STINKING!!
Me: Ewwwwwwwww what is that? D=
My kid: It's wet dog, burning garbage and strong detergent. Can we go home now? D=
Mom: But I don't smell anything and I'm not done shopp--
Dad: *heads for the door without saying a word*

Not forgetting my best friend for my adult life, whose son I said was AS 4 years ago who was Dxed last year - I was right - and a long-time family friend with AS who keeps in touch from college. They are family too, you know?

Shameless Hoarder

The Legendary Guest
Apologies in advance for treading on anyone's else's toes and I am sure others will have more detailed answers for this but I just have to chime in here, as a person with sensory integration dysfunctions.

Sensory issues are uncomfortable for the person who has them, and the degree of discomfort ranges from mild to extreme. This is very misunderstood and leads to a lot of the "OMG THOSE POOR PEOPLE LOOK AT THAT HJGFDYUSLIHOILDHS!!!" reactions to things like meltdowns and helmets, for example.

Imagine you are a pre-verbal toddler who do not process pain properly. To you, it doesn't register as painful to bash your head against the wall. Actually, it feels kind of interesting, not like all that annoying stroking and soft-stuff...so you bash any chance you get...and scream with rage and bite when people make you stop because they don't make sense...this child needs to be understood before you strap that helmet on,

No apologies needed. I am happy for someone else to answer questions while I am not here. smile
And I'll be honest with you, this event is for me to learn more, not just others. wink

Shameless Hoarder

Graceangel
glad to see you're doing this again!

for those of you who don't know me, or don't remember me from last year.

I'm pretty sure I remember you from last year. Thank you for your story and welcome back ^_^

Shameless Hoarder

Ok, I am almost caught up with responding to people, but now it is time for me to sleep. A new question will be up tomorrow smile

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Beautiful Grotesque
The Legendary Guest
Apologies in advance for treading on anyone's else's toes and I am sure others will have more detailed answers for this but I just have to chime in here, as a person with sensory integration dysfunctions.

Sensory issues are uncomfortable for the person who has them, and the degree of discomfort ranges from mild to extreme. This is very misunderstood and leads to a lot of the "OMG THOSE POOR PEOPLE LOOK AT THAT HJGFDYUSLIHOILDHS!!!" reactions to things like meltdowns and helmets, for example.

Imagine you are a pre-verbal toddler who do not process pain properly. To you, it doesn't register as painful to bash your head against the wall. Actually, it feels kind of interesting, not like all that annoying stroking and soft-stuff...so you bash any chance you get...and scream with rage and bite when people make you stop because they don't make sense...this child needs to be understood before you strap that helmet on,

No apologies needed. I am happy for someone else to answer questions while I am not here. smile
And I'll be honest with you, this event is for me to learn more, not just others. wink

Then I suppose it won't faze you if I confess that I myself am hyposensitive to pain and pressure to the degree that I used to push my teeth until they became loose enough to remove and give to the Tooth Fairy when I was small. It felt pretty cool, actually, so I understand the helmeted child.

Sexy Kitten

26,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Married 100
Clickie User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Here!!
User Image
User Image

yum_puddi
Morning smile

User Image
User Image

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Beautiful Grotesque
Ok, I am almost caught up with responding to people, but now it is time for me to sleep. A new question will be up tomorrow smile

hey! i see the autism peep bunny i made for you for last year's event! biggrin glad to see you liked it and are still using it..

and hey... i'm gonna plug something really quick right here. if it's ok?

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SUPPORT AUTISM AWARESNESS: monday, april 2nd... is world autism awareness day,and autism speaks was trying to spearhead a small movement that they did last year on the same day. It's called LIGHT IT UP BLUE. You put a blue light bulb in your porch light, apartment outside light, or somewhere so when it gets night out; we let our blues shine all night long. Lots of major corporations and buildings are lighting up blue.

I myself put one in last year, and now we only ever use the blue bulbs. XD

Shameless Hoarder

New question is up biggrin

Shameless Hoarder

WWETakerGirl
As a person with Aspergers, I'm here to support the cause & be proud of who I am! n_n

Thank you and Welcome. Feel free to share your story with us. smile

Shameless Hoarder

-Kizuki Liz-
Got a friend with this illness.. made me think of her! :')
Very nice thread. smile

L.

Thanks! Is your friend on Gaia? Or if she isn't, would you like to share a story of your experiences with her? smile

Shameless Hoarder

THE Santa Claus
Thread has been <3'd. Many of my young friends struggle with one form of autism or another. Some are more successful than others at "fitting in" with the social world around them. But all of them are gifts to the world around them, precious and amazing! Thank you for this thread of dedication to them!

Thank you for <3'ing my thread. smile I found out late last year that one of the guy's I work with has Aspergers and you can't really tell he has anything wrong with him. He told me he does have some social issues, but knowing what he is like, I can understand why he is like he is. smile

Shameless Hoarder

The Legendary Guest
Certainly! (=

My mother's cousin (closer to my age) has a son with AS and another who is high-functioning. My father, myself, and all 4 of my kids have that so-necessary (-_-) Dx of ADHD, my father, myself and one of my kids have sensory issues that noticeably aggravate us....

Dad: *stops dead in his tracks in the mall* Do you smell that? O_O
Mom: Smell what?
Dad" Something STINKING!!
Me: Ewwwwwwwww what is that? D=
My kid: It's wet dog, burning garbage and strong detergent. Can we go home now? D=
Mom: But I don't smell anything and I'm not done shopp--
Dad: *heads for the door without saying a word*

Not forgetting my best friend for my adult life, whose son I said was AS 4 years ago who was Dxed last year - I was right - and a long-time family friend with AS who keeps in touch from college. They are family too, you know?

Wow, that makes me think of me, mostly because I am hypersensitive to certain smells that can make me sick. It's mostly chemicals and due to the fact that I have very bad lungs, anything I inhale can make things go from a good day to a hellish few days. >.>

Shameless Hoarder

The Legendary Guest
Then I suppose it won't faze you if I confess that I myself am hyposensitive to pain and pressure to the degree that I used to push my teeth until they became loose enough to remove and give to the Tooth Fairy when I was small. It felt pretty cool, actually, so I understand the helmeted child.

You were just doing it for the money you get from the Tooth Fairy, right? eek
I know it would shock and scare me, if my own child was doing something like that, but I think, or at least I hope, I would be able to learn from it and help my child cope. I don't have any kids yet, but I want a whole tribe of them...or at least a football team's worth. razz

Shameless Hoarder

iSexy_Goddess
Clickie User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Here!!
User Image
User Image

yum_puddi
Morning smile

User Image
User Image

I am getting so distracted by the flashing rainbow in your post style. So shiny!
I'm just glad you didn't use it when answering the DQ, I'd be more interested in the pretties. xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff