I am in love with this new theme: Original Character Item Contest
I mean it's extremely wide-ranging and absolutely anything under
the sun could count as an entry. I definitely think they made a wise
decision for the new contest theme.

In other news, people have only been half aware of the limitations
the contest springs on those who enter it. Some of the limits people are
very intimately aware of. i.e. the minor confusion with Petite Aristocrat's
Raincoat Entry which came out with 2 poses (not her fault, she only submitted
a hood up entry but Gaia chose to do 2) with a hood up and down.

Rules of the Contest

Entries must adhere to the following requirements:

✧ Entries must be created in a simple, Gaia-compatible web-based format and drawn on the provided template. Template may not be cropped. No screenshots, copy/pasted images, photos or references are allowed. Hand-drawn entries may be submitted if they are drawn directly on the template and follow all other rules for entry.
✧ Each entry must contain only one item design. Color variations do not count as separate designs and may be submitted on the same template.
✧ Entries must be original, created by the entrant and the entrant must have all rights necessary to submit the entry.
Entries must not be weapons, faces/expressions, wings, skins, halos, horns, makeup, headphones, body mods, hair/wigs, pets/plush/animals, animated items, background, multi-pose items or date/companion items.
✧ Entries must not be identical or compete with items currently existing on Gaia Online.
✧ Entries must not, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor, contain any sexually explicit, profane, disparaging, libelous or other inappropriate content.
✧ Entries must not, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service.

And as I was going around the Crosstitch forum, I realize that a lot of people's
OCs aren't human. Most of them possessing skins, horns and extra appendages.
And people were a bit disappointed with having to chop their OCs and only submit
clothes to the contest.

And then I realized in one sentence, and in an enlightening conversation
with another Crosstitch entrant. Gaia never actually made a thorough discussion
on what exactly constitutes a BODY MOD item! ( but we had a hand entry
in the past that could be seen as a sort-of hand-mod: Eye C U Arms/Jacket Item ?)

And although the contest rules specifically identifies that entrants cannot
submit entries with wings, horns and skins. They actually didn't specify that
you could NOT enter:

1. Anyone ever thought of entering EARS (elven ears) and TAILS (the cat and
monitor lizard tails in Barton Boutique), you could be the artist who thought up
of the next style of Devil Tail!
1. Beards or Hair extensions/clips (hair/wigs are written...) but do facial hair count? Or all type of hair-made things? XD

So what does the GCD think about it?
Or do people not realize there are some holes in the contest rules that
no one has taken advantage of since scouring the Crosstitch entries so far
there haven't been any tails/ear entries and such.

And what exactly constitutes as a Body Mod in the rules? OvO
DISCUSS!

Quote from Milkbun herself!

milkbun
Would a sword that's attached to a shirt be disqualified? Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to answer without seeing the idea in sketch form. If the contest was about shirts the main focus should be a shirt and not a way to go around the rules so you can have a sword.

A lot of these examples you provided most likely wouldn't pass because they're not very customizable for our user base. Users would prefer to pick whatever shirt they like with a separate sword mount just like users would prefer to pick a hat and a wig instead of ones attached together. The only idea I can see working is a hat with horns.

As for the other items I would say no on them as well, as you mentioned yourself, Crosstitch is more for clothing. If we ever allow standalone items we will let you know.

But now after the contest/shop has been running for awhile we now know we have had
contest entries with items like umbrellas and even blankets. 8D
So I guess it's just finding ways to insert items and hopefully Gaia won't be too picky?

So GCD:
    gaia_spoons -- Ever thought of entering the contest but the rules just stumped you and you backed out?
    gaia_spoons -- Spot any other loopholes in the contest rules that Gaians haven't taken advantage of?
    gaia_spoons -- Potential Items that could be submitted in the contest that you'd want to see people enter into the contest? (maybe a new walking cane for your avatar?)
    gaia_spoons -- Crosstitch themes you think should be done?
    gaia_spoons -- Still love the Crosstitch Idea/Contest/Shop now? Or has it underwhelmed you so far?

Playful Angel

19,450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I had so many ideas until i remembered all the rules.

I really wanted to try and submit hair clips since my oc's extensions are like...his major thing! D:
I think I might try to submit it anyways sad

Also pssst, make-up actually isn't allowed.
"horns, makeup, headphones,"

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Teases
I had so many ideas until i remembered all the rules.

I really wanted to try and submit hair clips since my oc's extensions are like...his major thing! D:
I think I might try to submit it anyways sad

Also pssst, make-up actually isn't allowed.
"horns, makeup, headphones,"

Oops. XD Hahaha I didn't see that!
Must have crossed up eyes.
I'll go erase that part.
Thanks for the headsup!

Nah, I think Crosstitch is still a pretty good outlet
to get interesting items. XD Although I sometimes question
the items Gaia keeps on choosing.

i.e. the overabundance of animal hoodies. : /
Or animal motif cute-su stuff.

Tricky Treasure

I feel like body mods are incredibly hard to get right (even a lot of the official ones we have are wonky at best), but I for one would love to see contests specifically for some of the disallowed items. Leg mod contest, arm mod contest, background contest, wig contest...bring it on!

Magnetic Shapeshifter

I define body mod as an item that removes part of the base, things like that cage body item from the Reve, and of course leg items that completely replace the base legs. If an item covers the base completely without cutting it, I wouldn't really call it a 'mod' since I could bring on the question of whether or not a full-length dress (such as Adumbral Empress) is a body mod... confused

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Zeetheus
I define body mod as an item that removes part of the base, things like that cage body item from the Reve, and of course leg items that completely replace the base legs. If an item covers the base completely without cutting it, I wouldn't really call it a 'mod' since I could bring on whether or not a full-length dress (such as Adumbral Empress) is a body mod... confused

It also begs the quest of entries like shoes that "mod" the avatar's feet
which a lot of current/recently updated feminine shoes
in gold shops tend to do now. O__o

Benevolent Cutesmasher

14,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I highly doubt trying to find loopholes means they will accept your entry, I guess it comes down to how to attempt or to present your item.

E.G You're O"C's head could be referred to as a helmet/hat?

However I think its time Gaia started taking submissions on items from users in all ranges they clearly need the help with new ideas.

Ruthless Shapeshifter

King Blackwater
I highly doubt trying to find loopholes means they will accept your entry, I guess it comes down to how to attempt or to present your item.

E.G You're O"C's head could be referred to as a helmet/hat?

However I think its time Gaia started taking submissions on items from users in all ranges they clearly need the help with new ideas.

I think that's basically why we end up with so many
mask/hoodie type entries because people try to jam in
loop holed items like animals ears/tails and wing attachments
to tops. XD

And mostly I just think they should reconsider their criteria of item
choices seeing as people are definitely over the whole hoodie/animal-themed
items thing.

Magnetic Shapeshifter

Yorugami

Wouldn't be against it if Gaia ends up turning the occasional entry into a slight/minor mod to make it less awkward.... there's nothing saying they can't do that after all, as long as the entrant didn't make it a mod to begin with.

I myself wouldn't try to submit any foot mods though. The base feet are tiny enough as it is, and most mod legs don't make it better... emotion_donotwant

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Zeetheus
Yorugami

Wouldn't be against it if Gaia ends up turning the occasional entry into a slight/minor mod to make it less awkward.... there's nothing saying they can't do that after all, as long as the entrant didn't make it a mod to begin with.

I myself wouldn't try to submit any foot mods though. The base feet are tiny enough as it is, and mod legs don't make it better... emotion_donotwant

Yeah but sometimes when people enter platform shoes...
they end up getting flats instead. XD
Which I think might have happened to the Double Stuffed Stompers
Shoe entry. The contest entry was a sort of platform boot.

Stellar Succubus

There are so many creative Gaians and brilliant artists, tbh I don't know why Gaia doesn't just have a yearly contest where we can design whatever, and they pick the best few and sell that. Kind of like a Crosstitch super special.

I want to enter but I also don't want to win and have my name permanently attached to something in the shop. That potentiality is something that kind of scares me a little.

Magnetic Shapeshifter

Yorugami
Yeah but sometimes when people enter platform shoes...
they end up getting flats instead. XD
Which I think might have happened to the Double Stuffed Stompers
Shoe entry. The contest entry was a sort of platform boot.

Is this based off of what you said about my boots? emotion_kirakira

Well the original entry could easily be squished down, as they didn't have heels cut into them, or anything else that would force one of Gaia's artists to 'draw down' to cover the feet.

I suppose it also brings up an interesting design hurdle. Prevent the artist who's making the item from 'cutting corners' by making something rather specific and base-huggy.

Dantrech's Princess

Demure Trash

VVhip
There are so many creative Gaians and brilliant artists, tbh I don't know why Gaia doesn't just have a yearly contest where we can design whatever, and they pick the best few and sell that. Kind of like a Crosstitch super special.

I want to enter but I also don't want to win and have my name permanently attached to something in the shop. That potentiality is something that kind of scares me a little.

but you could use a mule to submit!! 4laugh

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          Now I want to submit a tail gonk
          Or claw gloves...which technically wouldn't be a hand mod.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
aPersonally, I have wildly disliked most of the recent cross stitch winners.

Really everything with faces.

I don't see how adding a face to an item makes it ok.

Like, I mean, No companion items--so let's that what I would have be a pet and turn it into a jacket! KAWAII!

As far as that other stuff -shrug- I'm cool with the rule.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff