Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Lunatic

Stinatard
leyuen
Jinglybell
Neopets is still around and they have far less users. They actually have flash games and events too. So I doubt gaia will die. I hope the COO goes with the CEO so maybe we can get someone who dosnt release gg's everyday, but it probably wont happen.

i remember playing neopets when i was middle school. one of the first online game i ever played and first time i got scammed in an online game.
scammed?

some guy offer to sell me some cheap a** item that cost less than 30 gold but he lied to me saying it cost like 40k (40k is alot in neopets, its the same as having 20 billion gold on gaia) or something. i bought it but realized it didn't cost that much until later on.
Stinatard
Jinglybell
Neopets is still around and they have far less users. They actually have flash games and events too. So I doubt gaia will die. I hope the COO goes with the CEO so maybe we can get someone who dosnt release gg's everyday, but it probably wont happen.
that's actually very true, i recently typed the website name to see if it was still even up, and it looks really good, compared to when i used to play it when i was younger. but idk if they've had the same controversy as gaia though. do you know?

I don't know if they still do it, but IIRC, I left Neopets right around the time they had advertisement pop ups all over the place. Not Neopets cash shop advertisement--the cash shop didn't exist at the time--but rather regular ads. There was a pretty big cahoot about it in the forums. I think it was somewhere between 2005-2007 that it happened. Also from what I've heard, after Viacom took over, Neopets became worse. Here's a post made by a user a few years ago about it.

Ursine Genius

They will finally stabilize the economy.

Zack Mcdol's Widow

Dedicated Dabbler

17,050 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

I log in everyday, even if I'm feeling meh about Gaia that day, just to see if the CEO has announced their resignation. I know that the next person might be even worse, but this just can't go on.

Unbeatable Lunatic

Rose Milk Tea
    Stinatard
    Jinglybell
    that's actually very true, i recently typed the website name to see if it was still even up, and it looks really good, compared to when i used to play it when i was younger. but idk if they've had the same controversy as gaia though. do you know?

I don't know if they still do it, but IIRC, I left Neopets right around the time they had advertisement pop ups all over the place. Not Neopets cash shop advertisement--the cash shop didn't exist at the time--but rather regular ads. There was a pretty big cahoot about it in the forums. I think it was somewhere between 2005-2007 that it happened. Also from what I've heard, after Viacom took over, Neopets became worse. Here's a post made by a user a few years ago about it.

i remember playing neopets in 2002 or 2003 they already had ads no pop up but like those banner ads on the side. i stopped playing mostly because the changes they did to the site, everything got complicated and because i discovered runescape ...
    TofuBaconPizza
    Stinatard
    TofuBaconPizza
    wait, is stating the real name of the current CEO really will get you banned?
    no way! where'd you hear that from?
    lol, because everyone keep dubbing him as 'He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named' biggrin

You won't get banned, but your post will be deleted and the thread may be locked. I've seen it happen a lot in SF.

Kawaii Shounen

Grizzly Terra
    Do you have a theory?

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
    • Angelic Alliance 100
    • Noble Shade 100
    • Tested Practitioner 250
    Darksp
    We will somehow get a worse one.

Want to change your avatar? Watch this 30 second ad first.

Guilds will be updated... 999 cash per guild now k thx.

There will also be Verge/subscriber exclusive events. I'm honestly surprised they haven't done this.

We'll also get a bunch of silly useless features nobody asked for.

Send a fart to a friend! Collect frog points so you can look at a picture of a frog! An alert that goes off anytime someone says the word Diedrich! biggrin
    User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

Not that any of these are by any means positive, but at least they would be events and features?
    Right now, all we get is 30 announcements a day and countless "sales" that are timed and yet never seem to end. No events. No features.

And no, Gaia, I don't count a page where I can type into a box to sink gold an "event".

Shy Gaian

Sailor Tin Nyanko

People like to go back to Tinier Me. Tinier Me was... I can't spell this word.. Schedueled to shut down on purpose. Tinier Me required a chain of companies... mostly middle men that did nothing. They decided to close or switch what they were doing. They all were going through shutting their games down for years. Some went out of online games altogether. Tinier Me was the second to last game to shut down for most of those companies in the chain. We did have some impact but it didn't matter... it was set up to happen for like a year before it did happen. The dates just kept floating and there was some uncertainty with some of the companies.

Hey I hope you don't mind me quoting, because I'm curious about the chain of shut-downs that you mention! I was on Cafesta (G-Crest bought and made the move to shut that site down before TM was even begun,) then @games, TM, Pico, and lastly found Gaia. Was Pico World the final link of that chain of shut downs? Were there more sites than these? (if that gets off-topic, PM is okay)

What I have to say to this thread is this..
    If or when a site like this shuts down, the limbo is bigtime awful.
    But a lot goes on in the after-life, so to speak, of a thing as big as this.

For me, nothing has replaced the community that we lost.
    Yes, I miss my avatar a lot. I re-created her via a tiny bjd. She's a lot cheaper and more fun to clothe and collect for than the 2D avatar was (#1 exception being hair..) and I have something other than pixels nothing to show for the time and effort! I have gotten mostly over my gambling (gacha) habit thanks to the shutdown too. I'm tryin' to see the positive in those sorts of ways.

What we really saw come out of it though, is that the leaders among us took the leads. Those who knew how to established new forums, facebook groups, and some now even have designed and run their own avatar dress up sites. We all tried new ways to keep in touch and established little communities to help each other on the Japanese language site, for those who take refuge there.

It really is a traumatizing, homeless feeling. Either you will find a new home, or.. find other ways to cope. It does force growth upon you. There is life after such a loss though. What happens if it all goes belly up? The creativity will bloom.

Heart Detective

That won't work because the suggested system will will only cater to the rich. The reason why America is doing badly is because big money corporations bribe government. When money speaks, and not opinions it will lead to corruption. It's not good to ignore people for money.
    DJ Twissta
    I wish that Gaia would treat its users as stock holders and hold meetings for the top donators/ cash buyers on what should and shouldn't happen.

Ursine Genius

Stinatard
    Grizzly Terra
    Do you have a theory?

Not really, I am just hoping the next CEO isn't expensive. I am thinking he demands very high wages, and that is why Cash Shop sales are constantly happening.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
    • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
    • Launch Party 100
    • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
    Lokinta
    Sailor Tin Nyanko

People like to go back to Tinier Me. Tinier Me was... I can't spell this word.. Schedueled to shut down on purpose. Tinier Me required a chain of companies... mostly middle men that did nothing. They decided to close or switch what they were doing. They all were going through shutting their games down for years. Some went out of online games altogether. Tinier Me was the second to last game to shut down for most of those companies in the chain. We did have some impact but it didn't matter... it was set up to happen for like a year before it did happen. The dates just kept floating and there was some uncertainty with some of the companies.

Hey I hope you don't mind me quoting, because I'm curious about the chain of shut-downs that you mention! I was on Cafesta (G-Crest bought and made the move to shut that site down before TM was even begun,) then @games, TM, Pico, and lastly found Gaia. Was Pico World the final link of that chain of shut downs? Were there more sites than these? (if that gets off-topic, PM is okay)

What I have to say to this thread is this..
    If or when a site like this shuts down, the limbo is bigtime awful.
    But a lot goes on in the after-life, so to speak, of a thing as big as this.

For me, nothing has replaced the community that we lost.
    Yes, I miss my avatar a lot. I re-created her via a tiny bjd. She's a lot cheaper and more fun to clothe and collect for than the 2D avatar was (#1 exception being hair..) and I have something other than pixels nothing to show for the time and effort! I have gotten mostly over my gambling (gacha) habit thanks to the shutdown too. I'm tryin' to see the positive in those sorts of ways.

What we really saw come out of it though, is that the leaders among us took the leads. Those who knew how to established new forums, facebook groups, and some now even have designed and run their own avatar dress up sites. We all tried new ways to keep in touch and established little communities to help each other on the Japanese language site, for those who take refuge there.

It really is a traumatizing, homeless feeling. Either you will find a new home, or.. find other ways to cope. It does force growth upon you. There is life after such a loss though. What happens if it all goes belly up? The creativity will bloom.

Yes, I think Pico World was the last to go on most of them. One of them had a downloadable game that was the last thing to go.

I think Pico was the hardest for them to let go and cut off everything on.

Freaking Gachas @_@ On Second Life the Japanese Communities held like some Gacha Events yearly ( there was more then one Gacha Event so more then one per year). But now Gachas are Mainstream for some of the largest or most well known Content Creators. So now there are multiple Gacha events seasonally, monthly, and even bi-monthly. But I can play Gacha on SL for equal to 20 cents.

I have been on modems for so long x.x I have seen a lot of games come and go. A lot of services come and go. Good concepts return often. Good games get ripped off constantly. A couple years after a game goes, there is often a clone or a new company opens it up, again. You have to start over though :/

I don't see any reason for Gaia to close though. I mean there is some things I can point out. Since everything is online for this instead of it being standalone then it has to constantly be downloaded. But the service that these Forum Games are made through had a flatrate for when traffic exceeds a point. I have a feeling Gaia may have disconnected from the Pre-Fab Service Site that Gaia used to us though.

Lashtal's Wife

Advanced Punk

22,900 Points
    • Magical Girl 50
    • Fusion Master 1000
    • Hellraiser 500
    I just hope he leaves when he realizes we aren't giving in as much, and the GGs stop. (as well as the spam, random flash sales, etc) Then maybe Gaia can be somewhat normal again, and I'd be very happy to buy GC.
    But until then, I'm staring down the new TOS modification.
    Too scared to buy anything, and I can't trust Gaia right now.

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
    • Noble Shade 100
    • Magical Girl 50
    • Team Jacob 100
    Don't know, but I feel bad for whoever the next guy would be

This site is way too hostile for it's own good

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
    • Noble Shade 100
    • Friendly 100
    • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
    Well if we did get someone new, I'm not sure why anything would really change, I guess. If this model is what seems to be working for them, what incentive would they have to "go backwards", so to speak? I'd love to be wrong though.

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff