Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maerua
Green Rectangle
Maerua
King Blackwater
Maerua
I'm testing out a userstyle I wrote that makes the PMP bars look nice and simple.
All these people puffing themselves up in pride over adblocking it are acting silly.

Agreed, Personally adblocking is bad for Gaia it pretty much tells everyone you don't care about our community.

I do use adblock on Gaia as they either can't or refuse to change the kinds of ad packages they use; there are too many high-contrast, flashy, animated ads usually packed to the brim with scripts that bog down page loading times.

However I will never block this feature or throw a shitfit about people who use it. It's harmless, and it's not like ads are being shoved in their face. I hear far more bitching about PMP than the big fat ads placed inside daily chance or plastered around the forums.

You don't hear people complain about the 'big fat ads' in daily chance because people who would normally dislike it just adblock it so they don't have to see it emotion_awesome

Your complacency will only prompt Gaia to search for money in other features. What if you had to pay ~500 GC to start a guild? 100 to save a post style to apply to your posts? 50 to 'reskin' the site with different themes (and you'd have to pay again to change it)?

I'd be fine with that.

Feline Bookworm

King Blackwater
Maerua
All these people puffing themselves up in pride over adblocking it are acting silly.

Agreed, Personally adblocking is bad for Gaia it pretty much tells everyone you don't care about our community.

The above. On one hand people claim to support Gaia wholly and aren't
shy about revealing the amounts of GC they buy to 'support the site',
but on the other hand some of those also can't wait to proudly announce
how they've ad-blocked the latest Gaia feature. I don't get it.

Personally I don't find it all that bad. It's not as garish or bright as some
seem to be making out. It's just eye-catching, which is the point.

Koleda's Senpai

Fandom Trash

Literatic
King Blackwater
Maerua

The above. On one hand people claim to support Gaia wholly and aren't
shy about revealing the amounts of GC they buy to 'support the site',
but on the other hand some of those also can't wait to proudly announce
how they've ad-blocked the latest Gaia feature. I don't get it.

Personally I don't find it all that bad. It's not as garish or bright as some
seem to be making out. It's just eye-catching, which is the point.

I agree! People are making it sound like there's 20 flashing neon backgrounds

on threads and that it's being abused and obtrusive.

I've barely even seen any threads using the feature (usually no more than a few per forum page).

If someone wants to pay money to highlight their thread, let them.

No need for people to be obnoxious and state that they are blocking the few images because

they're being used for the exact purpose they were created for. confused

It doesn't lag the site, users get to give Gaia money, and their thread stands out like they want.

I have seen some suggestions that there should be smaller/simpler options

like special icons or limited holiday themes, and I like those ideas. 3nodding

User Image

Cat

Darksp
MillKitten
Kain-Senpai
I can turn off Promote my Post... BY AD BLOCKING IT! emotion_awesome

No. Seriously. I can block it.
that defeats the purpose of people promoting their post

I'm sure SOMEONE will keep it unblocked.

I blocked it because I know I'd avoid any topic with a creator so attention seeking, they'd spend actual money for people to notice them.
Ehhh it's not all about LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I WANT ATTENTION
If it's an event, contest, big sale, art shop it is very beneficial to have a promote option. Someone selling an 03 donation item would benefit and probably easily afford it.

It's good to have for business purposes or to draw in more people for contests, events, or community building threads.

Fashionable Gaian

Wait...

people are actually defending others from not using adblock and are supporting this feature?

Can I go back to 09 now? Please wake me up from this nightmare. gonk

Mysterious Trickster

MillKitten
Kain-Senpai
I can turn off Promote my Post... BY AD BLOCKING IT! emotion_awesome

No. Seriously. I can block it.
that defeats the purpose of people promoting their post

And...? I don't care.

I support Gaia in my own way, just like other users support the site in their own way. While I see the point of using such a feature, I don't appreciate the price point. Because of that, I don't ever plan to use the feature. Since I don't plan to use it, I don't want to see it.

So... ::shrugs::

Edit: While I can block PMP... I haven't actually done it yet.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Those sparkle rejects are annoying and I'm glad Gaia gave me the option to turn 'em off.

This PMP, I uh, really don't see it as a big deal. Hell, if I can get arsed enough to open an art shop again, I'd probably use it. Sparkle Manry Art Shack. emotion_kirakira

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
I find the adblock argument going on to be silly.
If people don't want to see the ads, they shouldn't have to.
If people want to see the ads, fine, they'll see them.

Both sides have their own reasons to do what they want, but I've noticed some defending anti-adblocking seem to assume those who do adblock have an unwarranted sense of self importance for why they block ads, in turn making themselves feel better about their choice to look at ads. I've also noticed people refer to adblockers as "leeches" and assume they don't support the site financially in any way because they don't look at ads. You don't know if they buy stuff in the cash shop, you don't know if they purchase zOMG power ups, you don't know if they get monthly RIG bundles to sell in the marketplace, you don't know if they fill out ad CAPTCHA's or watch youtube videos in the cash-tree section. Are you their banker? Do you follow their financial history? Are you keeping a close eye on their wallets? The assumptions being placed that those that adblock aren't supporting the site are ridiculous.

I will admit to having bias in this conflict as I am a user of adblock, and use it to defend against tracking cookies and harmful malware, improve site load speed, and prevent the overall sensation of intrusiveness that certain ads and features bring to the visual site layout.
Why have I blocked this feature then?

I find it intrusive to the visual forum layout. It's eye-catching, that's the problem. The visual graphics on it cause the thread to stand out in the sea of threads... throwing the visual flow the forums provide "out of sync". Standing out is the issue. Using certain characters in your thread title could even be considered annoying, but this changes the whole backdrop into an image, whats more: it blocks the image on a thread that states whether it's open, locked, whether there's new posts... that's a pretty big deal to me. If others want to pay money so that they can make their threads stand out to others, that's fine, I just don't want to see it.

Tiny Shapeshifter

They're not as distracting as sparkles are, because for one, they're not animated, and for two, they're not in some bright/neon-color either. PMP's color of choice has low contrast to forums' backgrounds, and it doesn't cover threads' titles (mega bonus). So, in my case, sparkles can go away for all I care. I don't need animated gifs covering a portion of my items' icons, especially when I own quite a lot of CS-based items in my well-organized inventory.

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
I really don't get this idea that promoting your thread makes you a giant attention whore... neutral

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

I really don't see why people are up in arms about people (including myself) are adblocking the PMP banners. Gaia's getting their 100gc from those who use it either way. Personally I block it because I use BetterGaia and seeing the PMP banners with how the forum looks with BG clashes way too much for me to ignore it. If I had the option to not see the PMP banners in the options, I would gladly use it (I don't see that happening anytime soon because that cancels the reason of having PMP). But until then, adblock it goes. This goes for the sparkles too. I don't need an animated gif letting me know something is CS related. I already know that <o<

If you guys can stand it, power to you. But it's a bit silly to get on people who have a preference to not see it .-.

Tricky Glitch

People were really annoyed with the item sparkles? Whaaat, lol. That's so minor.

I also think this PMP thing is pretty minor as well; just throwing my 2 cents in to say that I don't see what's so wrong with it. I understand the annoyance at it not being available in any way other than GCash, but I don't think the posts themselves are a big deal??? //shrug//
It's not that bad to me, I only used the 50Gcash one...you know the pink one! Cause I love pink~ 3nodding
And i made well over 50Gcash because of video offters...and I used it only on my art shop. ninja
K, i just wanted to put out my opinion...okay bye~
byyyeee~

darn ppl are upset because it costs gcash and there isn't enough variety!
byyyye xd

Shade

People are seriously complaining about this? Seriously?

Seriously?

Omnipresent Loiterer

s**t I don't care about: promote my post

seriously it's not terrible
Gaia needs money.

It actually looks kind of nice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers