Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Gaian

A. Hot chocolate, if it's cold where you are.

B. A nice, cool drink, if it's hot where you are.

Now, sit down with me and chat? c:

-----

Alright, so... I wanna make sure I don't make the same mistakes on this new account.
I had my old account when I was... 11, I think?
Which actually, was back in 2011.

I've posted some stupid, shitty stuff on that profile and I'm glad to say I'm completely starting over after three years. I won't be sharing any of what I posted, it's only a few threads but I feel totally ashamed. Thank goodness that was long ago, and that things have really changed.

But I guess I'm asking how to stay out of trouble here and just generally get by without any hate?

I have come from DeviantArt, which is another site, and let me tell you: It was a disgustingly wild ride and I'm honestly done with that site.

That's just my experience but I don't really belong there anyways. I'm not confident in my art skills nor will I be commissioned, so I have kinda left dA.

I just wanna know how I can pretty much be nice to everyone? The reason why I ask this, is because, like I said... DeviantArt is a warzone. Even if you try to be nice to certain artists, if you call out the rude, younger artists that shouldn't even be on the website, you get told to suck a d**k and gtfo. sweatdrop

So after my long-needed rant... What would you all like to chat about..?

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Treat others how you would like to treated! Obviously you're going to run into jerks. It happens, and it's sad, but it's a bit unavoidable. The best you can do is not stoop to their level.

Also... lurking helps too. sweatdrop Some threads can be extremely inflammatory, and sometimes the best way to stay out of trouble is to avoid people who are very much intent on stirring it up to begin with. Pick your battles, and don't waste your time and energy being upset. smile

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I've been on DeviantART for 11 years and never had any issues. Perhaps your problem is that you're purposefully provoking people on there and on here? Just don't mess with anyone even if they do something that gets on your nerves. Do your own thing and let others do their own thing.

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

Who hasn't done embarrassing stuff online when they were younger in this day and age?

Just stay away from using hateful words and terms and you'll be just fine.
And if you accidentally offend someone, just apologize earnestly. No excuses.

Be wary of people who just want to start a fight. There are some folks that think just because they're online, they can do whatever they want and cannot be reasoned with. Just drop the conversation when it comes to that.

Oh... And knowing how to make people laugh and being silly helps too.

Calculated Capitalist

12,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Hi there, and welcome back to Gaia. Honestly, a positive attitude and a willingness to be friendly and polite will get you a long way.

It helps, too, to pick and choose what forums you frequent. I find that Friends Chat is a very peaceful place to visit. GCD is not bad if you stay away from the occasional flame-fests. The Chatterbox is a very mixed bag, and I'd honestly suggest avoiding it if you don't have a thick skin.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Please just drown me in a bucket of ice water its like 110F here

I just start with horrible puns and d**k jokes and just kinda roll from there. cool

maturity levels raised mildly with age

but not much

I just like having fun

Demonic Abomination

40,775 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Battle: Level 10 250

I'm ignored by everyone on DeviantArt so I can't relate.

The people are still what make this place my digital home

Interesting Gaian

Rabid-Turtle

I'm ignored by everyone on DeviantArt so I can't relate.

The people are still what make this place my digital home

I'm still reading everyone's posts but hey if you'd like a friend on DeviantArt I can... biggrin

In a relationship with my viola

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
the internet is the internet
there will always be dicks on the internet
but the amount of dicks you attract is inversely proportional to how nice you are to people
they never go away though; it can't be helped orz
I don't think it's completely possible to get by that way unless you never express an opinion.

My way of staying out of trouble as much as possible is just to avoid stating things too strongly, I guess. I might try to debate something now and then, but in general if it gets too heated then I'll probably bow out. Not worth it and people are unlikely to change their mind. Which does include myself.

Questing Alchemist

39,425 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Master Converter 500
Welcome back and thanks for the drink.

I can't guarantee this will keep you completely out of trouble, but it may help.

Read the ToS. You don't have to memorize the thing, but you should have a passing familiarity with what is acceptable and what is not.

Lurk. Each forum has its own community and standard of conduct. I'm not talking about this in a general sense, but specifically Gaia. For example, what is fine (and expected) in the CB (Chatterbox), would be frowned upon in, say, Heaven (which because of your new account, you won't see for a while yet). Get a feel first of what it's like.

Explain It to Grandma. There's all this advice about thinking twice before posting and all that, but I've found that if I had to have a conversation explaining to my grandma the post I am replying to and what I'm going to say in reply that that cuts out any chance of getting into trouble whatsoever. For example,

"Well, Grandma, this person called me a d-bag.... What's a 'd-bag'?.... Well, Grandma, you ever remember having that not-so-fresh feeling?"

Or this...

"Well, Grandma, I plan on questioning whether this person's intelligence is deficient because of chromosomal defect, question the size of his organ, and then compare him to said organ.... Do I really have to say it? I was going to call him a...."

Yeah. That's when I know I should just not reply and move on.

Mewling Kitten

I didn't know Deviantart had a community so to speak~ I always figured people just linked their Deviant Art to other communities, like Gaia surprised

Anyways, I would tell you to be yourself but you seem to think that is a problem blaugh Just be a nicer version of yourself? Having an opinion isn't bad at all. It's honestly all about the way you present your opinion. Try not to be combatant or "right" in your thoughts all the time, and always consider the other person's point-of-view 3nodding

Festive Singing

27,600 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Oh man I know those feelings. *remembers when she was young and first posted in a topic and didn't realise there was a next page button* Yup. Done lots of stupidity.

I guess the best advice I have is to find a forum that speaks to you. I like the cb cos its all so silly and most things are a joke in there. someone was selling stick figures the other night. I think it's important to be yourself and realise that hey not everyone is going to like you, but that's okay, find those that you do like and don't feed those pesky trolls. The report system can be useful if some users take things to far too-don't threaten to report, just report them if you feel harassed or some such.

Big Bum

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Honestly, I'd say not to worry about it too much. I'd say just try to be yourself, and don't try too hard to fit in. I have a feeling that the things you said on your old acct were probably caused by trying to be in the 'in' crowd. So...don't worry about it. emotion_dealwithit
And if you're genuinely worried about inflaming people, just use some common sense and think about what you're posting before you post it. Just be geninune and I think you'll do fine.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Time-traveling Bookworm

29,275 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Survivor 150
For me, I usually re-read whatever I'm typing a couple of times, and ask myself, "If someone posted this in reply to something that I said- how would I respond?" If I find myself thinking that I'd respond in a negative way, I'd either find a way to reword it or just not bother posting. Also, and this is something that I wish everyone would get.... NEVER FEED THE TROLL. How do you feed a troll? By paying attention to him/her. They hate being ignored and get bored and will usually leave after posting something about the lack of intelligence of other posters and that they're boring and probably make some inference as to the sexual nature of their target, and that they're tired of a bunch of losers. Sure, feeding them can be funny at times, but unfortunately, while you may recognize that the poster is a troll and just having sport with them, there will be those who don't get it and will get their panties in a bunch and then it just gets boring with the "no you're stupid" back and forth crap. The internet is full of people who just enjoy being jerks because they feel safe in their online anonymity. Just roll your eyes, mutter a "whatever" and move on. They're not worth the energy or time. Granted, not all trolls are true trolls. I've had experiences on another forum site back in the day, where certain posters where constantly being jumped on every freakin' time they posted- even if they weren't saying anything inflammatory. Just their mere presence was enough to get some posters in a hate-induced frenzy, and personally, I think their actions were worse than the troll. One guy it was obvious that he wasn't really a troll, just honest and having fun role-playing a villain character- but some posters just didn't get it and would jump on him constantly. It was rather annoying. I remember one time, I just posted a "what's up?" to him in a thread and the guy automatically got defensive. I had to assure him that I was being friendly and not looking to flame him just for merely contributing to a thread game. Oh and have a sense of humor. Don't take yourself or others too seriously.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff