Welcome to Gaia! ::

is gaia too strict?

yes 0.07719298245614 7.7% [ 22 ]
no 0.47017543859649 47.0% [ 134 ]
it has its moments 0.41052631578947 41.1% [ 117 ]
other (please share) 0.042105263157895 4.2% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 285 ]
1 2 3 4 >

I was just wondering is free speach on gaia too restricted does everybody agree with the system? do people disagree? are there bugs in the rules and TOS? my opinion is that gaia might be a little strict for the title of having free speech. Discuss here
although I beleive that the whole gaia concept is excellent and it allows teens to have a voice and to vent on problems in their lives , sometimes it might be a little restricted.. but it might just be through what I have seen and it is possible that I need to look into it a little more.
The right to free speech on someone else's webspace does not exist. End of story.

I've encountered forums that are way more moderated than this. Gaia keeps a fairly loose hand on the tiller and you have to do something really stupid to attract the attention of a mod. I've been here damn near two years and I've barely got about 10 PMs from moderators and they were all of the "your thread has been moved" variety.

Considering how cranky and flamey I can get, the fact that I've never got in trouble for breaking the rules means that the people who do really must have been doing something extreme.
Korgmeister
The right to free speech on someone else's webspace does not exist. End of story.

I've encountered forums that are way more moderated than this. Gaia keeps a fairly loose hand on the tiller and you have to do something really stupid to attract the attention of a mod. I've been here damn near two years and I've barely got about 10 PMs from moderators and they were all of the "your thread has been moved" variety.

Considering how cranky and flamey I can get, the fact that I've never got in trouble for breaking the rules means that the people who do really must have been doing something extreme.
interesting I have not received many pms from mods either and the first warning I have received was for telling someone they were in the wrong forum and they should relocate

5,100 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Korgmeister

well put. someplaces you can't say "hot" "gay" "homophobe". after 3 years of that gaia is a paradice.
not only that but my trading account has been disabled for no apparent reason! I think its because I had more than 4 items when they changed the rules
edit: its really sad and it makes me look bad

5,100 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Glowing in the darknesS
Korgmeister

interesting I have not received many pms from mods either and the first warning I have received was for telling someone they were in the wrong forum and they should relocate
well the problem with that as well meaning as it may be is that it tends to bump up the thread. wait until the thread was relocated then tell them where they were wrong.

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I really dont like the mods their kind of opresive if you ask my i can understand moveing a thread but some of the stuf they do makes no sence. And i personaly thing that the TOS needs to be revised.
Jaithien
Glowing in the darknesS
Korgmeister

well the problem with that as well meaning as it may be is that it tends to bump up the thread. wait until the thread was relocated then tell them where they were wrong.
I never thought of it that way

5,100 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Glowing in the darknesS
not only that but my trading account has been disabled for no apparent reason! I think its because I had more than 4 items when they changed the rules
i'm not sure i follow, are you saying mules can only have 4 items?
Jaithien
Glowing in the darknesS
i'm not sure i follow, are you saying mules can only have 4 items?
mules? oh sorry its in my store. when I left gaia a while back I had a lot in my stores and they changed the rules and now I cant do anyting
There's a bit of a backlash against that "Get thee to the chatterbox" behaviour ATM. Strange since a few months ago when there was a mod shortage, that was SOP. Oh how the times change.

Most of the people who run afoul of the mods are the idiots who go "Oh, a mod. I must go out of my way to antagonise this person because he's an authority figure"

The best way to be, mod wise, is for the mod to not even consider your name worthy of recollection. That is, just stay out of trouble. Mods rarely go gunning for someone unless they go out of their way to piss them off. Strangely, some people get a thrill out of doing just that, which if you ask me is roughly equivalent to dressing up in a pantomime horse costume during a deer hunt.

Every mod has their own take on how their job should be executed and it's easiest just to go along with it. So if you're on a forum policed by mods who really don't like "Get thee to the chatterbox, n00b" type behaviour, then lay off it. Just report the threads in question and let them handle it.

The main reason the mods here can be heavy handed about where stuff goes is because Gaia has a culture of "forum invasions". Every forum tends to have a core group of very territorial users who will occasionally decide to "expand their turf". Needless to say, every time this happens, a moderator's workload goes up and they tend to get short tempered.

At times like that, you REALLY don't want to give them an excuse to remember your name.
Hey, the people who made this site can make any rules they want.
Be happy there is no word filters *cringes on memories of habbo*
lol I remember habbo
I get modded all the time over at Gamefaqs. Here, well. You dont get modded at all. Ever.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff