Welcome to Gaia! ::

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Zeroah
It's not mandatory anyone participate. The people's opinion yes we need it, trial &' error is this.

That's pretty moot since it's not mandatory that I spend my money anywhere except give a portion of it to the government.

You're forgetting the basis of a business. You offer something to the people and they decide whether or not to support you with their money. It's not you beg and people shove money at you just for existing. Being a business doesn't make you some kind of special class in anything except tax breaks and contract law.

If people aren't happy with what you're offering, you can bet your sweet a** they'll not only tell you how they're unhappy about it, but they'll walk off with their money too.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Threads like this are kind of interesting to look at over time to see just how many people will make excuses for Gaia, saying in a variable amount of words that Gaia can do whatever it wants without any repercussions. (In theory, they can do what they want. In practice, if they do something stupid, they'll lose users/profit/whatever.) These people are somehow surprised that users would be outraged at a thing like Club Verge when tons have given legit reasons why it's a baaaad idea. The replies to these reasons have generally been "Don't like it, don't buy it", "It's not for you, you're poor" or "You're just jealous" and that is just so sad. And those people can't see why this shop/guild might possibly cause a rift between users and promote elitism? emotion_facepalm

I wonder how much it will take for some of these people to say "Woah, Gaia. You're ********' up." Or even, how many people it will take saying "Woah, Gaia. You're ********' up." for Gaia to stop or fix it. Like, will they need to make it so people can buy old banned accounts or something for some flags to go up? It's like a lot of you are so apathetic that you just roll over and let Gaia screw the site up.

If they screw it up enough, people are going to leave/stop spending money ( I know I've stopped ) and the site is either going to outright die or downsize so far that you'll want to leave because you're used to a ton of features already. But I guess if you're the only ones left, you can support the site $1000 a month, right? Maybe you'll get custom items by then or something. smile

Destructive Bunny

Adnama Lavode
Sites like Gaia would be lifeless if there weren't hoards of commoners that the royalty can show off to rofl

If they make it a subscription where "freeloaders" like myself are kicked off, site will sink like a stone.

Generous Gaian

10,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Big Tipper 100
Marclyn
Candie-Letter
i do purchase stuff, ive been buying a bunch lately, just sucks because its "not enough" in their books..
yes! this is exactly how i feel like. and because of this i feel cheated and ashamed. they don't make you appreciate spending whatever amount you have on them. they want you to spend MORE

thank you ! finally someone gets it, instead of ppl making me out to be the bad guy.
thats exactly how i feel....
and its pathetic.. we're paying this much for pixels
i feel guilty every month when my cell phone bill comes in, all because i wanted a F****** item

Darkshimmer's Husbando

Devoted Gaian

38,700 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Partygoer 500
B e a r i s a l
Myrielle
It's more like 100 bucks a year. That does sound more feasible. You're really not compelled to buy anything at all. But, if people like to enjoy the site for the entertainment it provides, then that's their business.
100 bucks a year to get into a club with items that cost even more. That isn't "feasible". That's 2 months worth of car payments for me.
Sad thing is half the people who do buy these items, waste their money when they don't have it. I know several people like that. They can't pay the bills because of their online obsessions.
Their profit should be the happiness of others lol not 250 dollars for a pair of wings.

Gaia can't pay the bills or employees with our happiness. They have a responsibility to their employees and company first and foremost. These people who have an online addiction to micro-transactions/DLC have a problem but Gaia can't be their babysitter. What adults do with their money is not Gaia's business.

I pay all my bills and my mortgage and still find ten bucks a month to get GC. For me it is a treat, like how some people like to get starbucks coffee or Tim Hortons coffee for those of us from Canada LOL. people buy one meal out so it is no different. I won't be buying any Verge stuff soon but that is my decision I have other things to worry about. Gaia is a business and this model is no different then any other micro-transaction pay site model. People buy DLC for games and for sites all the time. This the new normal when it comes to online life and gaming in general

Darkshimmer's Husbando

Devoted Gaian

38,700 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Partygoer 500
AKB0048

There is nothing shady about it, Gaia is very open with their item's prices. It is not like they are hiding their prices. If people don't like it vote with your pocketbook and let them know you find distasteful.

Special Snowflake

Adnama Lavode
Threads like this are kind of interesting to look at over time to see just how many people will make excuses for Gaia, saying in a variable amount of words that Gaia can do whatever it wants without any repercussions. (In theory, they can do what they want. In practice, if they do something stupid, they'll lose users/profit/whatever.) These people are somehow surprised that users would be outraged at a thing like Club Verge when tons have given legit reasons why it's a baaaad idea. The replies to these reasons have generally been "Don't like it, don't buy it", "It's not for you, you're poor" or "You're just jealous" and that is just so sad. And those people can't see why this shop/guild might possibly cause a rift between users and promote elitism? emotion_facepalm

I wonder how much it will take for some of these people to say "Woah, Gaia. You're ********' up." Or even, how many people it will take saying "Woah, Gaia. You're ********' up." for Gaia to stop or fix it. Like, will they need to make it so people can buy old banned accounts or something for some flags to go up? It's like a lot of you are so apathetic that you just roll over and let Gaia screw the site up.

I wouldn't say that people are burying their heads in the sand. For me, CVerge doesn't bother me because it's just another shop I can't enter. Yes, the prices are high but (for me) it's like the marketplace - the buyers are really the ones who'll set the threshold for what is really "reasonable" (used loosely) to charge. I feel that if no-one buys those items then Gaia will lower the prices in CVerge, because like all things people will charge the limit - especially for these so called "premium" goods. It's not like Gaia can charge what ever it likes, as with most things on the site it's proactive release before reactive tweaks. I feel there's some truth in "don't like it, don't buy it" although I wouldn't put it like that, I'd have said if no-one buys it, the price will drop- there's no point in selling something no-one is going to buy, it's a waste of artist resource.

As for whether it creates a rift in the usership, I think a rift will only happen if the majority of feedback is only taken from CV, which won't happen. I feel like.... a lot of users aren't waiting for them to release the non-monetary things before really drawing comparison. In my opinion it'd have been better for Gaia to have released both simultaneously, mostly because a lot of the anger and opinions I've seen is based on either "Why don't I get anything?" or "Why am I valued less?"

I think the split in usership will only happen if we let it as users, like we really need to ensure that feedback keeps going on outside of CV, and keeping threads and forums alive outside of CV.... The feelings of resentment towards pricing has only been compounded by not allowing users to get over the prices in the Summer sale, I think poor choices might have been made in terms of release schedule overall, and a lack of variety in prices in CVerge.

For me, I felt the CVerge shop should have been a shop that was "exclusive to enter" but not neccessarily that the items in there be "exclusive." As a user I think that $50 should've been the max price in there for ordinary items (while the SD custom could be priced at whatever).

I feel like the elitism thing is really only a thing for particular users, and they were around long before CVerge. Will it promote elitism? Hopefully not, as long as we continue to keep the site interesting outside of it.

I think I'll stop now... I think I'm repeating myself sweatdrop (If anything sounded aggressive/accusatory, it's unintentional!!! I have a poor writing style most of the time.)

Fluffy Wolf

14,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
Yeah, Gaia wants money. I've come to terms with that. I think for me at this point in the game is that if Gaia were to take away the forums and focus on creating games only, I'd quit for good. Other than that, I can take a bit of Gaian-class greed.

If anything, these threads that have cropped up for the past month or so make for good reading. ninja

Lady Pants

Candie-Letter
Phanna
Candie-Letter

seems fishy that they would come up with a money perk first though...

Why does that seem fishy? I mean actual businesses reward paying customers over ones that just sit in their stores and never purchase anything.

i do purchase stuff, ive been buying a bunch lately, just sucks because its "not enough" in their books..

I'm sorry you feel that way. I, however, don't. I don't like the items in the CV shop, so I will not buy them. CV will not change my spending habits either. I spend $10 a month on an AC bundle. (usually more than half of that comes from free cash offers). I don't feel that Gaia is somehow twisting my arm, and trying to force me to spend more money than I can on their website, they just make these items available for those that can. (and since they are all available in the MP anyway, I can just as easily get them from there)

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Sand Dancer Shaka
Adnama Lavode

I wouldn't say that people are burying their heads in the sand. For me, CVerge doesn't bother me because it's just another shop I can't enter. Yes, the prices are high but (for me) it's like the marketplace - the buyers are really the ones who'll set the threshold for what is really "reasonable" (used loosely) to charge. I feel that if no-one buys those items then Gaia will lower the prices in CVerge, because like all things people will charge the limit - especially for these so called "premium" goods. It's not like Gaia can charge what ever it likes, as with most things on the site it's proactive release before reactive tweaks. I feel there's some truth in "don't like it, don't buy it" although I wouldn't put it like that, I'd have said if no-one buys it, the price will drop- there's no point in selling something no-one is going to buy, it's a waste of artist resource.

As for whether it creates a rift in the usership, I think a rift will only happen if the majority of feedback is only taken from CV, which won't happen. I feel like.... a lot of users aren't waiting for them to release the non-monetary things before really drawing comparison. In my opinion it'd have been better for Gaia to have released both simultaneously, mostly because a lot of the anger and opinions I've seen is based on either "Why don't I get anything?" or "Why am I valued less?"

I think the split in usership will only happen if we let it as users, like we really need to ensure that feedback keeps going on outside of CV, and keeping threads and forums alive outside of CV.... The feelings of resentment towards pricing has only been compounded by not allowing users to get over the prices in the Summer sale, I think poor choices might have been made in terms of release schedule overall, and a lack of variety in prices in CVerge.

For me, I felt the CVerge shop should have been a shop that was "exclusive to enter" but not neccessarily that the items in there be "exclusive." As a user I think that $50 should've been the max price in there for ordinary items (while the SD custom could be priced at whatever).

I feel like the elitism thing is really only a thing for particular users, and they were around long before CVerge. Will it promote elitism? Hopefully not, as long as we continue to keep the site interesting outside of it.

I think I'll stop now... I think I'm repeating myself sweatdrop (If anything sounded aggressive/accusatory, it's unintentional!!! I have a poor writing style most of the time.)
Verge is really just the most recent example of Gaia's poor execution of a new feature, if you can call it that. It's the newest and easiest thing to reference, but really, Gaia's been doing things like this for a while now. Not particularly with this much money involved until now, but things that seem shady/money grubbing, awkwardly released, half-assed, or just out-of-the-blue things that nobody wanted.

Examples: Releasing event items in a bundle for sale, which makes events pointless (They fixed it after people complained, but they shouldn't have even tried it. Poor decisions that have a lasting effect in users' minds.)

Not actually putting the things into Towns 2 that people petitioned for/asked for, like new bugs and flowers. Simple things to make it more interesting. Instead they made it bloated, somehow more laggy and without new flowers, bugs or features that were asked for.

This new slew of social games that nobody really plays much, because they only focused on functionality, flashiness and money making potential, not so much making it fun or fair to play. Heralds of Chaos for this. It seemed to come out of nowhere and was kind of boring. Still is, honestly and I don't see too many people playing it unless they want the achievements.

Then they have some good ideas but screw it up by bringing too much of a money element into it. An example of this is Rumble Kitten. Art was great, story was decent, theme; loved it. But there was no way to get some things in the game without spending a lot of money. You literally could not earn enough in the game by playing the game. By a lot, I mean more than $100 spent on a iPad/iPhone game. And half the time it was broken.

They make zOMG and pour a ton of resources into it, connect it directly to Gaia's storyline, shops and other things, then discontinue work on it. Partly because the Dev that worked on it left, but honestly, if the feature was seen as important like many users did, they would've found someone to update it and keep it running. It could have been so much more than it was, but instead we get updated Rally and Towns 2.

There's a slew of other games that were started and were closed shortly after, which makes me wonder if new games are even worth playing. They may be gone in a couple months. Examples: Summer Springs and Backyard Monsters. (Then Monster Galaxy came along, but how long will that be around? It seems to be currently bugged out or broken.)

The recent stuff with the A. Halo has caused people to question Gaia's ethics, saying one thing and doing another for the sake of money. Even in the most innocent context of "giving people what they want", the Halo re-release is a poorly executed way of re-introducing small amounts of the Halo into circulation.

Then, after people complain about Gaia pricing things too high, they release Verge. A club to exclude people based on their real world economic status (since you buy with real cash) and "reward" people who buy things with more things to buy at vastly higher prices. And then within a day or so, the prices on the horns are slashed in half at random, the people who potentially bought them at full price are screwed, then are hastily given a bonus (whatever it is, I haven't seen it) to make up for it as if to say "Hey, we screwed up again, here's a thing so you won't feel cheated." It's even the default store on the store page now and they don't shuffle anymore, so I'm a bit tired of it being shoved in my face. The "Don't like it, don't buy it" has some application to Verge too, as it does to anything, but the extra effects of the store's release may be more damaging than just a failed store attempt. Verge may end up being shuffled aside, but people will remember all of the above if they're still around on the site.

All of these things and more have contributed to the waning of morale of users on this site, not just Verge and it's exclusionary nature. Verge is just the most obvious and most telling feature to crop up so far. I think it's a direct reflection of Gaia's management and how disconnected they are from the users. They don't listen to us, and they don't listen to the Gaia employees that are connected with the users. And as a business, that is a very bad road to go down.

Also, you didn't come off as accusatory or whatever, so it's cool. 3nodding

Edit: Now this is a new interesting thing. Gaia is giving actual gifts people who start buying Gaia cash for the first time. Good ones that actually seem like rewards, though everyone else who has been spending cash all along either gets excluded from a guild/shop for not paying enough, or have paid enough to get into shop/guild so they can spend more.

They're just doing things tactlessly and a** backward now. emotion_facepalm

Shade

Alchemy: Elitism
Cash Shop: Elitism
RIGs: Elitism
Evolving Items: Elitism
zOMG: Elitism (B-BUT EFFORT/FRIENDS!)
Events: Elitism (M-MUH ACHIEVEMENTS!)

There is only one thing here "elitist", and it's Alchemy. And Alchemy was, and always will be from the get-go, something for the hardcore Gaians who put everything they have into the biggest goal--backwings. It requires actual effort.

Club Verge is premium of premium. This isn't going to be the new price set, people. Seriously. Calm the hell down.

I like Club Verge because the items are nice, outstanding in quality, and are (mostly) affordable for those who have a couple million gold on them.

If one of your biggest arguments on "Gaia's going bad!" is elitism, then it's time to get off the computer and go outside, go into town, and look at all the shops and check their pricing. Note their inventory and item quality. Note their policies. Then, return and compare them all to Gaia. You'll find Gaia is easily one of the most rewarding and forgiving businesses that's really on market right now.

Partying Reveler

I see it like this. Gaia has staff , people they employ who get there money from gaia . People who do this as a career not a side job. For us complaining and saying that we don't want change we want the same would bankrupt Gaia and cause the people you love to be out of a job.

So for me CV is just another way to garner money to the site to keep the paychecks rolling and to keep the staff happy as well as the Gaia community. If you don't like it , well s**t no ones forcing you so you can leave. All your doing is causing petty arguments that get us no where . No wait they get us to fighting and calling out people so yeah it takes us down an even more petty route.
thanks to gaia being 'money hungry' and 'spoiled brats who spend cash on pixels' you can still use this website and not have to spend a single penny of real money to get the avi you want.
so it may not be worth your time, but it is for someone out there who will be willing to support the website.
so bohemian
thanks to gaia being 'money hungry' and 'spoiled brats who spend cash on pixels' you can still use this website and not have to spend a single penny of real money to get the avi you want.
so it may not be worth your time, but it is for someone out there who will be willing to support the website.
lol I have to do a lot more to get the avi I want. they set the things at ridiculous prices.
B e a r i s a l
so bohemian
lol I have to do a lot more to get the avi I want. they set the things at ridiculous prices.

Just bootygrab and vend a little it's not that hard.
I suck at all of those, I can't bootygrab and yet I think I still have a half decent avi.
At least be happy someone else is buying pixels with real money and making them available for us in the marketplace with free gold currency.
You may not want to spend 50 bucks on an item, but if you check the mp, a lot of people are willing to do so.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff