Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Shapeshifter

25,090 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Buggin' 500
so i just went to the tektek site to find that gaia has sent them a letter and telling the owner of tektek to shut it down! I don't get it. Tektek has been running for so many years, i am sure they knew for a while of tektek's existence why now would they want it shut down? what are we going to do now for dream avatars .... crying

please no more arguing, i didn't want a thread for arguing.

Divine Zealot

Copyright infringement something intellectual property something something.
IdrisCity
so i just went to the tektek site to find that gaia has sent them a letter and telling the owner of tektek to shut it down! I don't get it. Tektek has been running for so many years, i am sure they knew for a while of tektek's existence why now would they want it shut down? what are we going to do now for dream avatars .... crying

Try this thread. There's a lot of information there.

25,090 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Buggin' 500
ya ya i got that . but i don't get why now? why would gaia be okay with it for so long and then just bam send them a letter. i feel like there just be a protest from gaia members unless they are giving us a dream avi thing on their own in the NEAR future. but still tektek is THE dream avatar creator for me.

25,090 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Buggin' 500
hiimbeary
IdrisCity

Try this thread. There's a lot of information there.

ahh thank you this is perfect! i did not know about the ads and such. a lot of useful info here

Aged Zealot

IdrisCity
ya ya i got that . but i don't get why now? why would gaia be okay with it for so long and then just bam send them a letter. i feel like there just be a protest from gaia members unless they are giving us a dream avi thing on their own in the NEAR future. but still tektek is THE dream avatar creator for me.

User Image
Tekton was breaking the law, Gaia was protecting their property.
Just because Tektek used to be (read: used to, because it was quickly becoming out of date) a good resource, doesn't mean Tekton is free from the law.
From what we've been told, Tekton has been asked to take down his ad, not the site.
Tekton also hasn't responded to Gaia about this at all.
Instead choosing to just take the whole site down in the hissy fit of the year.

9,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Koda Crest
IdrisCity

User Image
Just because Tektek used to be (read: used to, because it was quickly becoming out of date) a good resource, doesn't mean Tekton is free from the law.
From what we've been told, Tekton has been asked to take down his ad, not the site.

ok tektek has been around for over a decade now and gaia is just NOW starting to do something about it i fishy, plus tektek themselves haven't gave there point of view yet. Gaia dosnt have to tell us everything ya know not only that they been taking away a lot of things that used to make gaia, gaia and havent even given us a update on the situation yet.The fact that tektek wasn't taken down years ago or when it even first started means they have SOME legal right to the sight its not like tektek claimed all the items for themselves it was just a way to search items and make things easier.Even though tektek may have been a bit outdated you have to admit gaia should of made a system like that AGES ago where it made finding items easier. cat_neutral

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
snowkitten12345
ok tektek has been around for over a decade now and gaia is just NOW starting to do something about it i fishy, plus tektek themselves haven't gave there point of view yet. Gaia dosnt have to tell us everything ya know not only that they been taking away a lot of things that used to make gaia, gaia and havent even given us a update on the situation yet.The fact that tektek wasn't taken down years ago or when it even first started means they have SOME legal right to the sight its not like tektek claimed all the items for themselves it was just a way to search items and make things easier.Even though tektek may have been a bit outdated you have to admit gaia should of made a system like that AGES ago where it made finding items easier. cat_neutral

Gaia's "only" acting now because in the past it wasn't a problem per se. Tektek was purely an innocent fan resource that was crucial to many Gaians, and so Gaia allowed it to continue for the sake of the community. Basically no harm, no foul. But then Tekton starting putting ads for his competitor site directly into Tektek, on every single page, in such a way that they bypassed even things like AdBlock, and basically started using Gaia's very own IP to poach its users, which is very illegal. So Gaia finally put their foot down.
If Gaia didn't do anything, they probably be giving some nonverbal consent for someone to use their property to promote their rival avatar forum. Have to draw the line sometime.

9,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
[Philosophy In A Teacup]
snowkitten12345

Gaia's "only" acting now because in the past it wasn't a problem per se. Tektek was purely an innocent fan resource that was crucial to many Gaians, and so Gaia allowed it to continue for the sake of the community. Basically no harm, no foul. But then Tekton starting putting ads for his competitor site directly into Tektek, on every single page, in such a way that they bypassed even things like AdBlock, and basically started using Gaia's very own IP to poach its users, which is very illegal. So Gaia finally put their foot down.

if gaia is truly within all legal right to shut down tektek then they at least need to make a system similar to tektek if not then a better one for the marketplace like an "advanced search".im just alittle disappointed that they haven't given us any update on it.like i said gaia should of had a system like tektek a looooooooooooooooong time ago and should send out a letter to all gaians about the issue.they knew tektek existed they knew what it was for and the fact they didn't even bother to bring the idea to gaia ages ago is a little dull-witted.

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
snowkitten12345
if gaia is truly within all legal right to shut down tektek then they at least need to make a system similar to tektek if not then a better one for the marketplace like an "advanced search".im just alittle disappointed that they haven't given us any update on it.like i said gaia should of had a system like tektek a looooooooooooooooong time ago and should send out a letter to all gaians about the issue.they knew tektek existed they knew what it was for and the fact they didn't even bother to bring the idea to gaia ages ago is a little dull-witted.

From what I understand, the ball is completely in Tekton's court. Taking what Gaia said at face value, all they wanted was for him to get rid of the Recolor.me ad. He ignored them, so they had to take legal action (not just to get his attention, but because I believe Janine Melnitz was right about them having to do it lest they risk forfeiting their copyrights). Then he decided to still ignore them, while just taking down Tektek entirely instead of working with them to reach a compromise.

But Gaia did say that if worst came to worst, they would look into recreating Tektek's tools, notably the avatar creator and the inventory worth calculator. Assuming that they actually go through with this and they're not shitty, it'll still probably be some time before they see the light of day, however. As for why Gaia didn't have these features themselves in the first place, I'd wager a guess and say that Tektek itself relieved them of that burden. Why create an avatar creator/inventory worth calculator/comprehensive item database/etc, when there's a perfectly good fansite doing that for you, and isn't stepping on your toes to do so?

9,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
[Philosophy In A Teacup]
snowkitten12345

From what I understand, the ball is completely in Tekton's court. Taking what Gaia said at face value, all they wanted was for him to get rid of the Recolor.me ad. He ignored them, so they had to take legal action (not just to get his attention, but because I believe Janine Melnitz was right about them having to do it lest they risk forfeiting their copyrights). Then he decided to still ignore them, while just taking down Tektek entirely instead of working with them to reach a compromise.

But Gaia did say that if worst came to worst, they would look into recreating Tektek's tools, notably the avatar creator and the inventory worth calculator. Assuming that they actually go through with this and they're not shitty, it'll still probably be some time before they see the light of day, however. As for why Gaia didn't have these features themselves in the first place, I'd wager a guess and say that Tektek itself relieved them of that burden. Why create an avatar creator/inventory worth calculator/comprehensive item database/etc, when there's a perfectly good fansite doing that for you, and isn't stepping on your toes to do so?

for a fan site to get that much publicity they really should of collaborated sure it be a weight of there shoulders that much i can agree with but i don't think it would of killed them to work together in some way ages ago instead of having this brick wall of non-communication that has now ended in a disaster for both parties and the community. first ZOMG and now this a lot of people are getting hectic and gaia is starting to slowly fade into the darkness of the internet.they better bring something new soon that dosnt involve people spending more GC or i cant see gaia lasting the rest of the year.

Shadowy Shapeshifter

10,925 Points
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
Not technically breaking the law seeing as they allowed him to for it for so long AND pointed links towards his "tools" in help topics. Also, in the US you can't sue cause someone is leeching your customers with an advertisement. If it had gone to court Gaia could make all the bitchy moany complainy excuses they wanted however when it came down to the fact that they KNEW he was using their IP for almost 12 years and even condoned it.... they'd lose. It'd look massively bad that they turned against him after using his site like they did for so long.
Koda Crest
IdrisCity

User Image

Special Strawberry

yah ;~; They say they want to work stuff out but idkkk. so much stuff is a factor and gaia is just starting to want more moneyyy >~<; I hope they work something out

Celestial Shapeshifter

No he was shut down because he opened up a competing site. If copyright was actually the issue then he would have gotten a C&D years ago. This recently came up because he created an avatar site of his own and was advertising it on Tektek.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff