Welcome to Gaia! ::

Man-Hungry Raider

I remember years ago, way way back before tektek prevailed as the avatar creator tool everyone was using, there were a number of other avatar creators floating around. Not including tektek I recall two.

There was this flash avatar creator which had an interface I really liked at the time (this was years ago and I was a kid so my current opinion may very well be different), but it went out of date pretty fast and couldn't keep up.

Then there was this other avatar creator which was drop-down based (and hence would not have been able to handle modern amounts of items), and its front page had a sleeping dragon pagehit counter (not sure why I remember that). I also recall they were testing out a 2.0 version which allowed arm poses but I don't think anything became of it.

Speaking of, I think this was before sitting poses came out! I recall seeing for the first time a sitting avatar and being confused before finding out what was going on.

So yeah, wow, lots of nostalgia. I joined in 2005 and spent a good portion of my teenhood on this site. (Now I'm 22, but I did have a 6 year break before coming back this week)

Anyone else share my memories, or have some other nostalgic moments to share?

Spoopy Loiterer

I think Gavsim was the flash one you're remembering. If not, I do know it was another avatar creator. I think you even had to download it. I really liked that one but it wasn't around for long at all.

Elouai still has their Gaia avatar creator up but I never used it. They always had made up poses and item recolors so it wasn't useful. It's kind of lulzy. I did spend a lot of time on some of their Candybar dollmakers though since I had no knowledge of the actual site the images were from.

Man-Hungry Raider

Candy Bats
I think Gavsim was the flash one you're remembering. If not, I do know it was another avatar creator. I think you even had to download it. I really liked that one but it wasn't around for long at all.

Elouai still has their Gaia avatar creator up but I never used it. They always had made up poses and item recolors so it wasn't useful. It's kind of lulzy. I did spend a lot of time on some of their Candybar dollmaker though since I had no knowledge of the actual site the images were from.
Wow, I had never seen the Elouai one before! I'm surprised I missed it.

Spoopy Loiterer

The Talewise
Candy Bats

Elouai still has their Gaia avatar creator up but I never used it. They always had made up poses and item recolors so it wasn't useful. It's kind of lulzy. I did spend a lot of time on some of their Candybar dollmaker though since I had no knowledge of the actual site the images were from.
Wow, I had never seen the Elouai one before! I'm surprised I missed it.
I don't think it ever took off in popularity. Plus, it looks like the last items they added were from 2005 so there's that. xD

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

omfg i thought I imagine those other ones! xd I totally remember them.

Man-Hungry Raider

.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
omfg i thought I imagine those other ones! xd I totally remember them.
Yeah the one with the dragon hit counter was definitely a thing. I recall having some fun with it before tektek.

Shoujo Spook

Whoa this is my first time hearing of this eek

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Balance Begets Creation 500
  • Waffles! 25
Was Gavsim the one that also had a Gaia Housing sim? I miss that.

Time-traveling Senshi

Platonix
Was Gavsim the one that also had a Gaia Housing sim? I miss that.

Yes and that is still up there and working unlike the avatar creator. Though, they are honest on the site that everything is seven years old and has been updated since 2008.

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
All I remember is Gavsim.

I wonder if it's possible for someone else to make their own dream avatar maker these days now that tektek's gone and there's no competition. Cataloging the sheer amount of items will be daunting, but imagine the amount of praise they'd be getting...

Belly-burster

gavsim's website is still kinda up if you want some memories
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In a relationship with his right hand

Aged Accumulator

Gavsim was the drop down one, I believe.

The earliest one I remember was the GAC (Gaia Avatar Creator) and yes, you downloaded it to use it.

User Image

User Image

Feeling the nostalgia, eh?

Ice-Cold Angel

34,125 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Pie For All! 300
Candy Bats

Elouai still has their Gaia avatar creator up but I never used it. They always had made up poses and item recolors so it wasn't useful. It's kind of lulzy. I did spend a lot of time on some of their Candybar dollmakers though since I had no knowledge of the actual site the images were from.

Hahahaha JFC that site is hilarious, especially hitting the randomize doll button.

Spoopy Loiterer

Gentlemanly Swindler

The earliest one I remember was the GAC (Gaia Avatar Creator) and yes, you downloaded it to use it.

User Image

User Image

Ah, that was the name of the downloadable one. I couldn't remember the name at all. I wonder if anyone still has that lurking on an old computer. xD

In a relationship with his right hand

Aged Accumulator

Candy Bats
Gentlemanly Swindler

User Image

User Image

Ah, that was the name of the downloadable one. I couldn't remember the name at all. I wonder if anyone still has that lurking on an old computer. xD

I do, I just took those screencaps. D'ya want it? It's v1.3, I believe the last update. It cover up through September 2004, I think?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff