NO 0.28571428571429 28.6% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 21 ]
< 1 2

Obsessive Hoarder

39,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
While I'll agree, it sucks being a newbie when you can't afford any of the cooler items on the market... as many before me have said, 1 million is a lot to start with. Many of us had nothing more than the rags (literally, rags) we started with, you can buy some pretty nice stuff in the gold shops with a million gold.

It took me months and learning how to fish to get anything even remotely cool from the market x.x

If nothing else, between booty grab and selling trash/bugs/fish you could probably work out an at least passable living here if you wanted to. Not saying it wouldn't be a long haul, but it's still doable. The things that are grossly overpriced aren't necessarily mandatory for enjoying your stay here. Heck, I have a mule who ONLY equips things she's gotten from events and dumpster dive, and she's not doing too horribly all things considered, and I don't even sell stuff on her. =)

It's also still a good place to go to chat on the forums and hang out, you don't need to be a rich Gaian to do that.

O.G. Exhibitionist

shoulda went to a gifting thread

Loyal Kitten

Oh please, when I started you got peasant clothes and no gold grants at all. There wasn't such a thing as booty grab or the dumpster dive. It's so much easier now. My friend recently came back and had to make a new account and managed to get some really nice items and is settling in really well, and she doesn't even log on every day.

Newbies can't afford high tier stuff right off the bat? What else is new. At least the gold shop is putting better and cooler items in it than it used to.

Bashful Lover

11,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
IT IS DURING OUR DARKEST MOMENTS

Gaia used to be a safe haven in my opinion.
The inequality gap was never that big so it took away real world problems.
Now it just reminds me that inequality is very prevalent here just like irl.
All we need now is some wars and famine confused
THAT WE MUST FOCUS TO SEE THE LIGHT

Fuzzy Cottontail

6,650 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
My Gaia age is 37 days now. When I joined I didn't even get a million. But from my personal experience I have to disagree. Of course I was shocked too, when I first saw the prices at the marketplace, but there are many nice looking cheaper items in the gold shops. Anyways, I played ZOMG and sold the loot as soon as I got my trading pass after 3 days. I also sold caches I got from dumpster diving, 2 red inks and other items I got from daily chances. I also got some nice gifts from Gaians, but I didn't sell them. Now after 37 days I have more than 300 millions without buying cash or opening the golden piggy bank I found in the dumpster. Only from playing ZOMG, selling stuff and getting some donations. I know 300 millions is nothing compared to the inflation, but I don't feel bad. It's enough to afford some decent looking items in the lower price class. 3nodding

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
As a newbie and even now, I don't mind that I don't earn gold quickly. I mind that there's really not so much emphasis put on items for slow gold earners. I mind that a lot of users don't feel there should be items for everyone in all price ranges every gold based update because "If I can afford that 600 million gold item, so should you and you should stop being lazy.", even though I'm pretty sure I and other poorer users work 10x harder for our gold than any vendor/GC user does. Every gold based update/event should have something thrown in for everyone no matter how much gold they make.

In fact, when I first joined Gaia (2007) I didn't even really give a s**t that my avi outfits was consistently nothing but mostly gold shop clothes. It's when you first get your hands on a LOT of gold, and/or discover the eye opener that is Site Feedback when the whole thing gains the potential to make you go "WTF? This is depressing/ridiculous." *wishes she never discovered SF sometimes* If I was a newbie nowadays, later on I'd be wishing I'd never discovered GCD for all the expensive CS announcements/SF like topics that's posted here. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff