Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaia: About making Money, Or Making a Fun place for Us?

Gaia is all about the $ these days 0.48557692307692 48.6% [ 202 ]
Gaia's main concern is in its Users 0.016826923076923 1.7% [ 7 ]
Gaia HAS to make money to maintain a place for Us 0.28846153846154 28.8% [ 120 ]
I Just Want Free Items 0.20913461538462 20.9% [ 87 ]
Total Votes:[ 416 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Firebreathing Bibliophile

14,125 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Does anyone else remember when an event on Gaia (wether it was mini, or big) meant FREE event items?! Heck, even a holiday or random event, they still rolled out something, wether it was ridiculous and silly or not.
But this year it's been all about the "Cash Items" made for events, and IF there is an event item, not everyone who participates gets the item. Like the Valefor back to school item. The only person to get the item is whoever was LUCKY enough to be changed before the timer ran out. And the Dragon event had it's own slew of draw backs to tick people off.

But honestly, am I the only one who misses the random quests, the ability to get a new item by finding things, watching videos, or voting on polls? I don't even remember the last time there was just a fun for the hell of it item distributed (Maybe the rainbow unicorn thing).

Is it just me, or is Gaia only about making money these days and not so much about us, the users who have loved and been loyal to this site for years?

Tipsy Pirate

12,800 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100
I've noticed the lack of free stuff too... it seems like they really want our money, especially now that you get perks like club verge for spending gaia cash. It's hard to get hyped for an event now knowing I might not get anything out of it or that I would have to spend my real cash for a virtual item. :/
EDIT: although I do understand that they do need to make money some how

Stone-cold Loiterer

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
there is a free item, and the cat items in the cash shop are a rerelease of an ultra rare RIG pet and a recolor of it.

do you realize how many people would be pissed if Gaia suddenly undermined the value of a rare RIG pet by making it easily affordable? or for that matter, how Gaia is actually being nice by rerelasing it in any form, especially when back when the RIG it was from came out you could spend as much money as they're selling it for now and still wind up not getting it since it was THAT rare. and imagine the reaction of people who quested for it, saving up millions of gold to afford it, would be if suddenly it became so affordable that the price for it plummeted.

it's not just about money, they'd make more money if they made it more affordable and more people bought it, it's more about rereleasing a popular ultra rare RIG pet without greatly undermining the value of it.

Bryn Grimhildr's Husband

Deadly Zealot

Pegasaurus Rex

how exactly did you find that link? I haven't seen anywhere where a link was posted for it aside here and item forums.

Interesting Hunter

4,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
My_Ashes
Does anyone else remember when an event on Gaia (wether it was mini, or big) meant FREE event items?! Heck, even a holiday or random event, they still rolled out something, wether it was ridiculous and silly or not.
But this year it's been all about the "Cash Items" made for events, and IF there is an event item, not everyone who participates gets the item. Like the Valefor back to school item. The only person to get the item is whoever was LUCKY enough to be changed before the timer ran out. And the Dragon event had it's own slew of draw backs to tick people off.

But honestly, am I the only one who misses the random quests, the ability to get a new item by finding things, watching videos, or voting on polls? I don't even remember the last time there was just a fun for the hell of it item distributed (Maybe the rainbow unicorn thing).

Is it just me, or is Gaia only about making money these days and not so much about us, the users who have loved and been loyal to this site for years?

2 tell u the truth I was the last one 2 know 'bout the Dragon event.....& it was 2 late! still dunno what's it 'bout.

Feline Conventioneer

28,040 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Yeah, I didn't know about the school event until the last day(unless it was just a one day thing..), I couldn't even get the achievement for it, and the little badge item you got only had four things and I would have rather had the rainbow one..

Firebreathing Bibliophile

14,125 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Pegasaurus Rex

Wow thanks, I looked through the main threads and didnt see that anywhere. I still feel complainy though >.<

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
My_Ashes

I believe that you just answered your own question. We're quite unlucky in that regard.

Dapper Dabbler

victor hellblade
My_Ashes

2 tell u the truth I was the last one 2 know 'bout the Dragon event.....& it was 2 late! still dunno what's it 'bout.

I have a couple of extra dragon event items, if you want them. They are just hats.

Dapper Dabbler

Elanau
Yeah, I didn't know about the school event until the last day(unless it was just a one day thing..), I couldn't even get the achievement for it, and the little badge item you got only had four things and I would have rather had the rainbow one..

There was a school one?

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
soren_alenko
My_Ashes

I believe that you just answered your own question. We're quite unlucky in that regard.
the prices of the cat items in the cash shop today isn't about money. if they had them cheaper more people would buy and that would actually get them more money.

the thing is, one of them is a rerelease of an ultra rare RIG pet and the other is a recolor of it. they're doing this to relrease the RIG pet without greatly undermining its value. if they made it cheaper so more people would buy it a lot of users would get pissed over its sudden drop in value. it's also something rare enough you could have spent more in real money on the RIG it came from, play every one, and still be unlikely to get it.

the thing is, while people like good, easily affordable items some people like the idea of rare, valuable items as well. it's a status thing, or a sense of accomplishment if you manage to quest for enough gold for them. those status items can't be released cheaply or they'd lose their value and status as rare and valuable items. what they're doing is introducing more of them into a growing userbase without ruining their value, something they don't even need to do and could have decided against all together. the RIG pet really is something that has enough demand if they made it cheaper they really could have made more, but then its status and value would have been undermined and a lot of people would have been pissed off if they did that.

and in the end we're actually lucky at all that they're rereleasing it in any form. it's an ultra rare valuable item, it's something that people want more of but others still want to keep rare and valuable. what Gaia's doing works for both extremes while still gets them money to pay for the site and the paid staff working on it even if it wouldn't get them as much as it could have if they rereleased them at a more affordable price.

Hardcore Hoarder

17,500 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Gaia is growing and they need money
Of course it's a bother to us users that can't spend real cash on pixels by several reasons
But I think it's okay like this
The forums and meeting people make up for it, I guess xD

Feline Conventioneer

28,040 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Hawk Ashes
Elanau

There was a school one?

Yeah, it was just the other day.

Blessed Shopper

:/ It sucks, but they do allow "easier" ways to earn cash and gold for free.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff