Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,450 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
cat_question wat is the worst fairytale ever question
in my opinion i really dont think theres a worse kinda fairy tale :/ i see fairy tales as something similar. they all relate and all have, well most of them, the same story line. this is just my opinion tho. if you disagree feel free to tell me why 4laugh

9,025 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Hygienic 200
beautifullybrkn79
in my opinion i really dont think theres a worse kinda fairy tale :/ i see fairy tales as something similar. they all relate and all have, well most of them, the same story line. this is just my opinion tho. if you disagree feel free to tell me why 4laugh

I agree with you when you say there isn't a worse kind of fairy tale. I think people can dislike them, but I don't think fairy tales are bad. I think unlike books, there isn't to much that can make a fairy tale bad.

I think it just depends on a person's taste.
Mooka Moose
beautifullybrkn79

I agree with you when you say there isn't a worse kind of fairy tale. I think people can dislike them, but I don't think fairy tales are bad. I think unlike books, there isn't to much that can make a fairy tale bad.

I think it just depends on a person's taste.

i know right! and i like how you compared them to books. and yeah that's true to, its all in the persons taste.
heart hahaha swow white
cinderella whee

Edgy Fairy

19,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Dig Dig Dig! 250
  • The Edgiest 250
never really heard a bad fairy tale

Tipsy Lover

6,500 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Personally, I have to agree with those above. There really isn't a bad fairytale, but I can honestly say that I'm pretty sick of Cinderella stories, simply because they've been told and retold and they're the most popular, so people tend to use and reuse the plot-line, and it just becomes repetitive.

Obsessive Player

Sounds like an Aquarium Question!!!

Eloquent Informer

lily cutie 123

The question I have is: What do you mean by "worst"? Are you looking for the fairytale that people like the least? Do you mean the most confusing narrative structure? The one that has the least meaning in today's world? The one that teaches the worst moral code? There could even be a feminist argument about which fairytale passes the least empowering message to young girls.

Fairytales originally were stories that were passed down through an oral tradition. They were vehicles to entertain adults during the long nights and many had graphic scenes of sex and violence. However, these stories were also vehicles to reinforce common moral and ethical codes, and if the story was told a little bit differently the meaning would change. When these oral traditions were recorded in text, much of the meaning was lost, and has continued to be lost through time.

A lot of the meaning in the story was not in the text. It would have been understood in context by the audience, or would have been a reference to something that was well-known at the time. Some fairytales may have been undercover political protest. So very frequently when you're reading a fairytale and come across something that makes you go "...why in the hell would they do that?!" this is why.

More of the meaning of fairytales was lost around the industrial revolution when the idea became common that fanciful thinking was not a mature, adult thing to do. Adults should be concerned with the real world, it was thought. And so the fairytales were rewritten, removing the sex and violence, making the stories into morality tales for children. This has continued to the present day, with one of the most well-known being the move from a text to a visual medium in the form of the Disney movies.

So, looking at the purpose of fairytales and how fairytales get their meaning, what do you mean when you say "worst"?
I don't really think there's a "worst" either.... But my least favorite are any by Disney.

Playful Kitten

13,500 Points
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
lily cutie 123

The Bible, obviously.

Desirable Sex Symbol

beautifullybrkn79

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff