Welcome to Gaia! ::

LilAngel191
Pikkewyn
LilAngel191
Pikkewyn
Not especially thinking of something American, but I think ''English breakfast'' onigiri would be pretty good.
Also, I think it is suitable with many spiced foods, as it tones down the spiciness. I also think it would suit stews and such, instead of potatoes.

That does sound good.... Sort of like curry and rice, or stew and rice.
I wonder if it might be possible to serve tiny onigiri filled with stew or curry. Or to serve tiny, shaped onigiri with stew or curry (since it might break the rice apart if you put the stew or curry inside). Perhaps one could dip the oniguri in the stew or curry like bread. That could be really yummy!
What do you mean by "English Breakfast" onigiri though? What might that entail?
Well onigiri with sausages, beans in tomato sauce, eggs, tomatoes and such!

Haha, that sounds delicious! Like a multi-cultural onigiri. I suppose you'd only be able to put those on top of the rice, though, since the rice would probably crumble if the sauces and whatnot were put inside.... xp
Yeah, I feel like the onigiri would be more of a suitable side dish next to this
I would think things like tuna fish sandwich filling or crab meat salad would go great! Really any sandwich fillings would work I think.

Curries and the like would work if you thicken the sauce into a paste first.

Steamed veggies or fruit could also work nicely. Canned sardines or kippered snacks work. Any kind of left over stir fry. Beef and broccoli. Maybe I'm not so good at thinking american wink

Okay, american, american. Pickled things would keep well. Pickled onions, pickled peppers, pickled cabbage. Wait, that's called sauerkraut. Sauerkraut works. Sauerkraut is German. *sigh*

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Salmon or chicken for the filling, could be chopped up as well and mixed into the rice.
I usually mix in seasonings as well or bring a small container of sauce. Onigiri is a really plain food.

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
hapahaole
I would think things like tuna fish sandwich filling or crab meat salad would go great! Really any sandwich fillings would work I think.

Curries and the like would work if you thicken the sauce into a paste first.

Steamed veggies or fruit could also work nicely. Canned sardines or kippered snacks work. Any kind of left over stir fry. Beef and broccoli. Maybe I'm not so good at thinking american wink

Okay, american, american. Pickled things would keep well. Pickled onions, pickled peppers, pickled cabbage. Wait, that's called sauerkraut. Sauerkraut works. Sauerkraut is German. *sigh*

Ahahaha, it doesn't have to be strictly American!! Just things one could easily get without lugging oneself to an Asian Market. xp
Curries sound good, although it might be tough to thicken the paste (//I'd have to learn how, but I'm sure it would taste good-! )
Beef and broccoli is straightforward and delicious-- it sounds sort of like a portable chinese food meal! You/I/One could stuff the broccoli/beef into the rice and carry it around, for like a snack or a picnic or even lunch or dinner on the go! I like it!
These are really great ideas, thank you!!

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
oTrissa
Salmon or chicken for the filling, could be chopped up as well and mixed into the rice.
I usually mix in seasonings as well or bring a small container of sauce. Onigiri is a really plain food.

Ooh, that does sound good.
Mixing it into the rice is an especially good idea-- Onigiri really does taste plain until you hit the flavors. -sigh- I've tried rice flavorings, but they don't exactly make for a good meal... So chicken, salmon, or beef (mentioned before) are all great ideas!

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
LilAngel191
oTrissa

Mixing it into the rice is an especially good idea-- Onigiri really does taste plain until you hit the flavors. -sigh- I've tried rice flavorings, but they don't exactly make for a good meal... So chicken, salmon, or beef (mentioned before) are all great ideas!
Onigiri isn't supposed to be a meal. It's a side dish to the main course or a filler.

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
oTrissa
LilAngel191
oTrissa

Onigiri isn't supposed to be a meal. It's a side dish to the main course or a filler.

I know, but I usually don't have time to cook entire meals vs onigiri, so I prefer to make multiple onigiri and eat them when I need them throughout the course of a day or two.
Sometimes, I eat them instead of meals.
I can vouch for tuna sandwich mix (just tuna and mayo) tastes amazing inside onigiri. A friend and I made it once and it was great. Maybe a spicy tofu mixture would be good to put in the middle?
Or maybe some chopped up pickled veggie mix kinda thing. . .
I'm just throwing out brain farts on this really lol, I only made onigiri once with the tuna center.

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
Electrick Lala
I can vouch for tuna sandwich mix (just tuna and mayo) tastes amazing inside onigiri. A friend and I made it once and it was great. Maybe a spicy tofu mixture would be good to put in the middle?
I'm just throwing out brain farts on this really lol, I only made onigiri once with the tuna center.

I keep hearing about this tuna and mayo idea, lol, but it just sounds rather icky to me. Is it really all that good? razz
Tofu, on the other hand, is a great idea. It's perfect and simple-- I could take it out of a package, quickly fry it up, and add it to a bento or some onigiri, or just eat it for dinner or lunch with an onigiri side dish. Plus, it's delicious AND healthy! Yum! heart

Onigiri and pickles, I must vouch, is quite good; I've made it before, and it's a pretty good combination. If you ever want to try it, I find that relish is a surprisingly good substitute, too. 3nodding
LilAngel191
Electrick Lala

I keep hearing about this tuna and mayo idea, lol, but it just sounds rather icky to me. Is it really all that good? razz
Tofu, on the other hand, is a great idea. It's perfect and simple-- I could take it out of a package, quickly fry it up, and add it to a bento or some onigiri, or just eat it for dinner or lunch with an onigiri side dish. Plus, it's delicious AND healthy! Yum! heart

Onigiri and pickles, I must vouch, is quite good; I've made it before, and it's a pretty good combination. If you ever want to try it, I find that relish is a surprisingly good substitute, too. 3nodding

Oh yes, the tuna mixture went great with the taste of the rice. We all enjoyed it, and we sold the onigiri it at a school function and people seemed to like them. I guess the only thing I suggest is buy good quality canned tuna and mayo, and adding just a dash of vinegar in the mix as well. Literally just a few splashes will do.

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
Electrick Lala
LilAngel191
Electrick Lala

Oh yes, the tuna mixture went great with the taste of the rice. We all enjoyed it, and we sold the onigiri it at a school function and people seemed to like them. I guess the only thing I suggest is buy good quality canned tuna and mayo, and adding just a dash of vinegar in the mix as well. Literally just a few splashes will do.

COOL!!
Wow! That many people liked it? I guess I should try it out....
But selling onigiri at school is a super cool idea-! I wanna do it!

Lily-livered Cutesmasher

I put canned tuna, drained the oil out of it
and add mayonnaise and wasabi
then add salt and tons of pepper~!
and mix!

It doesn't sound great at first... but I love the taste of it! cat_4laugh

It taste much better if you soak your hands with water and salt (heated up) making the rice ball.

I've served it to my people and family, they can't stop bugging me for more~

It make me happy! cat_whee

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
MochiSunshine
and mix!

It taste much better if you soak your hands with water and salt (heated up) making the rice ball.

Actually, I make the onigiri with a mold (the heat hurts my hands otherwise), which I soak in water and salt beforehand. cat_3nodding
But I can not -believe- the suggestions here for tuna! I mean, tuna and rice? It doesn't sound particularly good. Especially with mayo, wasabi, and pepper.... cat_sweatdrop It's THAT good? cat_eek

((P.S. Your emotes are adorable!!! heart I never knew there was a cat alternative to all the emotes! Omg!!! cat_blaugh ))

Lily-livered Cutesmasher

LilAngel191
MochiSunshine
and mix!

Actually, I make the onigiri with a mold (the heat hurts my hands otherwise), which I salt with water beforehand. 3nodding
But I can not -believe- the suggestions here for tuna! I mean, tuna and rice? It doesn't sound particularly good. Especially with mayo, wasabi, and pepper.... sweatdrop It's THAT good? eek

Ahh I see, that's also another great way of making the onigiri cat_4laugh

Lol! you'd be surprised! trust me, it'll taste good! unless you don't like fishy seafood cat_xd
it really compliments the taste of the salt in the rice~ cat_3nodding
If it helps you're not the first who made that same reaction~ cat_blaugh

(lol I found out about it 2 days ago. Yesh! it is adorable! have fun with the emotes~ cat_4laugh )

Shirtless Elder

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
MochiSunshine
LilAngel191
MochiSunshine
and mix!

Actually, I make the onigiri with a mold (the heat hurts my hands otherwise), which I salt with water beforehand. 3nodding
But I can not -believe- the suggestions here for tuna! I mean, tuna and rice? It doesn't sound particularly good. Especially with mayo, wasabi, and pepper.... sweatdrop It's THAT good? eek

Ahh I see, that's also another great way of making the onigiri cat_4laugh

Lol! you'd be surprised! trust me, it'll taste good! unless you don't like fishy seafood cat_xd
it really compliments the taste of the salt in the rice~ cat_3nodding
If it helps you're not the first who made that same reaction~ cat_blaugh

(lol I found out about it 2 days ago. Yesh! it is adorable! have fun with the emotes~ cat_4laugh )

(I totally will!! :hearts: )

And I will also try it out!!
...Although I'll try to make more of an impression with the salt, since that seems to be an important factor. cat_3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff