Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just started a new job and I need some packed lunch ideas. My previous job provided food so I never had to make anything but this is a whole different ball game. Can anybody suggest some cheap and easy lunch ideas?

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A flask of whiskey.

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
I do simple bentos. Nothing fancy or decorative.

I fill the bottom compartment with rice, generally seasoned with rice vinegar (it keeps the rice fresh), sugar and a bit of salt. The top compartment gets meat and vegetables. I'll pack a piece of fruit as well.

I make these most days for my boyfriend and I. Easy, self contained little lunches.

Profitable Prophet

I usually just pack microwaveable lunches like Lean Cuisine.

But when I have time to cook something healthy, I usually made beef and vegetable stew with rice.
I usually take sandwiches with me.
If I have a microwave available, I also take leftovers with me.

Fashionable Hunter

Sandwiches; my favorites are avocado-ham-little mustard, and turkey-cheese-garlic aioli. Oh, and nutella-peanut butter, marshmallow fluff-peanut butter 3nodding

Dishes made with tomato sauce usually taste really good as leftovers, so you could always make too much pasta or something and then refrigerate half of it.

There's always jook/rice porridge. Just short-grain rice, vegetables chopped pretty small, maybe peanuts or soybeans, your choice of meat if you want it, and whatever seasoning, boiled in twice and a half as much water as rice for like, 30 minutes. Does well in Tupperware in the fridge.
I usually brought leftovers.
I have bento-style containers, but you could pretty much use any container. Bento containers were just smaller & cuter. razz My appetite's fairly tiny.

My recent college lunches (eff buying from our cafeteria. D: ) are usually rice, seasoned chicken, and either broccoli or edamame. Also, whatever fruit I have on-hand.

*shrugs* My idea is to just see lunch as any other meal. When you see it as just lunch, a lot of people feel limited. The only reason you'd be limited is if you refuse to bring reusable containers & stuff. ;P

Fashionable Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
Lilac Wood

I fill the bottom compartment with rice, generally seasoned with rice vinegar (it keeps the rice fresh), sugar and a bit of salt. The top compartment gets meat and vegetables. I'll pack a piece of fruit as well.

I make these most days for my boyfriend and I. Easy, self contained little lunches.
Why are the awesome girls like you always taken?

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
Languia
Lilac Wood

emotion_yatta

Fashionable Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
Lilac Wood
Languia
Lilac Wood

emotion_yatta
Tell your BF the internet has proclaimed him a very lucky guy.

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
Languia
Lilac Wood
Languia
Lilac Wood

emotion_yatta

Oh he knows, especially considering we met while playing an MMO. Hehe. The internet is so terribly ingrained into our relationship. He was something of the community troll so it's become a bit of a joke with us.

He does realize that mealtimes are something that makes our relationship more special. ^__^

Fashionable Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
Lilac Wood
Languia
Lilac Wood
Languia
Lilac Wood

emotion_yatta

Oh he knows, especially considering we met while playing an MMO. Hehe. The internet is so terribly ingrained into our relationship. He was something of the community troll so it's become a bit of a joke with us.

He does realize that mealtimes are something that makes our relationship more special. ^__^
You wouldn't happen to have an awesome sister who's obsessed with Fallout, would you? XD

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea I'm usually at home for lunch now, but when I do have to pack one I generally plan it out the night before. I don't always have access to a microwave when I'm out and thus prefer to use things that are good chilled or at room temperature, so rice, sandwiches, and raw fruits and vegetables come into play a lot. Since I use an adult-sized bento, I can actually pack a filling meal while still controlling my portions; it has four little compartments that I can use to plan out a meal. Small salads, dried or fresh fruit, rice, and a protein of some kind (like a mini Babybel cheese) make for a good meal, as well as a sandwich cut into sections with fresh fruit and baby carrots (or broccoli).

Demonic Star

I usually make simple sandwiches, or instant ramen, or pasta salad, since it's easy, you can make a lot and it's meant to be eaten cold.
Joe's Spicy Caribbean Plantain Chips are wonderful for lunch, they taste like potato chips but are much healthier for you. I also like bringing trail mix or a bag of almonds & some sort of fruit with a raspberry lemonade. I'm not too big on lunches dramallama

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff