Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should I break down into different categories?

Yes, discard the old ones. 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 4 ]
Yes, sub-categories under the old ones. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Just divide up what you already have into more categories. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
No, it's fine like it is. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 2 ]
No opinion. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 2 ]
Other (please comment). 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
1 2 >

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Hello everyone. I have a website, which you can view here. There, I post many recipes, along with other things.

Right now, the original categories that remain are in this order:

Breakfast
Lunch/Dinner
Sandwiches, Wraps, and Tortillas
Soups and Stews
Snacks and Sides
Salads
Spreads, Sauces, and Dressings
Seasonings
Desserts
Beverages

All these are sub-menus under the "recipe" category on the menu.

Now, I have some recipes in more than one category (isn't that strange?). I have biscuits in both as snacks and sides and for breakfast. I want to post bread, and would probably end up sticking it in the sandwiches category.

That doesn't make much sense, does it? And what about people who want to find something like a loaf or a casserole, they would have to search through the lunch/dinner to find it. And vegan cheeses are in the spreads, sauces, and dressings. Does that make sense? And where am I supposed to put something like a pizza crust with just those categories?

So, I'm thinking about different categories. I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I separate them by the type of food. For example:

Italian
Asian
Indian
All-American
Mexican
Etc...

Even though they're all Americanized foods...

Or should I separate them as such...

Loafs
Casseroles
Biscuits
Breads
Pies
Fruit Salads
Salads
Etc

Or should I separate them as such:

Veggies
Fruit
Grains
Etc...

And if I break them down like the latter, should I still have a category for soups, and have something like "veggies" under a bigger category like "entrees"?

What kind of changes would you like to see? How do you search for recipes? Do you recommend something different from what I suggest? If I do break down into different categories, should I specifically do so for main dishes and keep the lunch/dinner category, or change it to entrees or something? What would you recommend? Also, should I break down desserts into categories, like pies, cookies, etc?

I'd like to be better organized. Please and thank you for your suggestions.

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Haha I think you are trying to be too specific, do not categorize it too much. Like region is not necessary, but I would organize it by what type of food it is, like casserol or lasagna so forth, so can people can check out what they might like by the sound of it. also grouping it under entrees appetizers and snacks would be good, not breakfast lunch and dinner because people eat differently whenever they feel like it.. it makes it generally more specific while giving people options.. to be honest I did not look into it too extremely much, but you have a nice set up ^^ That is what I think people like though, is options that guide them. idk how else to explain it.. sorry im a bit of a mess right now xP

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

Thank you. Don't worry about it. You don't seem to be a mess. What you said actually makes sense, and I may try that when I get the chance. I don't mind that you didn't look into it too much. I figured that people could help even just by reading the different categories listed on the post and giving opinions. Thank you for visiting my site though. I do like visitors. heart

So then, entrees should include breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then be broken up into casseroles, loafs, lasagnas, etc?

Do you think I should divide up the salads section, like make a separate section for fruit salad? And what about fruit soup? Should I be putting that with all the savory soup, or with fruit salads, or have a category for it all its own? Or maybe just put "fruit" as a category and include them both there?

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jessie-the-Foodie
Liljames326

Thank you. Don't worry about it. You don't seem to be a mess. What you said actually makes sense, and I may try that when I get the chance. I don't mind that you didn't look into it too much. I figured that people could help even just by reading the different categories listed on the post and giving opinions. Thank you for visiting my site though. I do like visitors. heart

So then, entrees should include breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then be broken up into casseroles, loafs, lasagnas, etc?

Do you think I should divide up the salads section, like make a separate section for fruit salad? And what about fruit soup? Should I be putting that with all the savory soup, or with fruit salads, or have a category for it all its own? Or maybe just put "fruit" as a category and include them both there?

No, I think you should leave out breakfast lunch and dinner all together. Only because it sorts it out into a generalization of what people should eat when, instead of letting people decide when to make the dish whenever they feel like. It might make them turn away from something if they see it under breakfast when they think it looks good at dinner time. I would just go under with main tabs being general foods. Also, the reason I say this is so you only really have to list what you have recipies for, because if you start lsiting everything from a-z then that means you would have to put something for that.. in this you can sort it out and list it by only what you have that you want to share. If you do not have the item do not list it.

Entrees:
Lasagna
~three cheese (title in a quote box with the recipie listed underneathe)
~meaty creation (recipie listed below)
Casserol
~
~
Salad
~potato salad
~fruit salad (at this point if you have more than one, just give them a name, but list them together by types of ingredients. So all your fruit salads come first and then all the vegetable salads come next, so forth. if you have meat added salads put them together but give them all specific names that would best describe what it is)
Sandwiches
~
~
Hambburgers
Steaks

Sides:
Toast

Snacks:
Ice cream
Cookies

and I love the way you have the top navigation bar. so on the recipies page I would have the main bulletins with entrees, sides, appetizers (like wings and chips like pre entree items that would not fit under sides, maybe how a restaurant lists them), and then desserts, as well as beverages if you have any. you should have it so that when you click a main bulletin, theres a navigation bar on the left side that lists the recipies with a main description of what the category is in the main box. So that on the left is lasagna casserol steak burgers, so forth.. and from that inside the navigation box itself, it drops down to list the name of the recipies so that when you click on them, it pops up the prep time, cook time, a picture and the recipies itself in the main box itself. you know what i mean?

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

Thank you. I think I know what you mean and will seriously consider what you're saying. I may do it a little differently, considering what I'm using to make my website. I will try to use some of your suggestions when I get a chance to move things around on my site.

How it works is each post is put into a category by checking a box, and it automatically adds it to that category's page (I'm using wordpress's free services.), so rearranging the recipes themselves would be difficult, but I could re-categorize them and maybe put an index on the recipe page. Would that work? I think I will use some of the categories you suggested.

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jessie-the-Foodie
Liljames326

Thank you. I think I know what you mean and will seriously consider what you're saying. I may do it a little differently, considering what I'm using to make my website. I will try to use some of your suggestions when I get a chance to move things around on my site.

How it works is each post is put into a category by checking a box, and it automatically adds it to that category's page (I'm using wordpress's free services.), so rearranging the recipes themselves would be difficult, but I could re-categorize them and maybe put an index on the recipe page. Would that work? I think I will use some of the categories you suggested.

Haha well yeah, whatever works for you to make the site how you wanted it. that is all I was here for to help brainstorm. ^^ Gotta do what you gotta do with what you got to do it with. xP especially if its free. putting an index would be nice though if you cant do anything else as it will allow people to browse what they want.. just think about how people are.. the easiest to click and navigate to find what they want..

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

I agree. Thank you for your help. I had been considering putting an index for a while, but haven't gotten to it.

Do you think I should also make a category for the foods that are "single serving", you know, that are for single people like me, college students, etc, that just cook for themselves, or should I let the viewers figure it out themselves? Like, a lot of my comfort soups, for example, are single-serving (one bowl).

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jessie-the-Foodie
Liljames326

I agree. Thank you for your help. I had been considering putting an index for a while, but haven't gotten to it.

Do you think I should also make a category for the foods that are "single serving", you know, that are for single people like me, college students, etc, that just cook for themselves, or should I let the viewers figure it out themselves? Like, a lot of my comfort soups, for example, are single-serving (one bowl).

Well no, I would leave that as is, single serving unless the recipie itself serves more than that. Just add a note on the main page as a spoiler type of thing, that says that these can be done for a bigger group just relate the amount of servings you want to the ingredients and follow it. but dont change your recipies at all. it will only make it harder for you.

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

Ok. Thank you. So, I shouldn't put them in their own category then?

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jessie-the-Foodie
Liljames326

Ok. Thank you. So, I shouldn't put them in their own category then?

naw, just leave the categories as food type related. :p they can make the decision of how much they want of it.. your recipies are basically just ideas for them to go off ^^ everybody adds their own little touch here and there

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

So true. As a friend told me her brother used to say, "A recipe is just a place to start."

That's how I am. I often don't use recipes, but when I do, I add my own touches here and there. heart

You're glowing, btw.

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jessie-the-Foodie
Liljames326

So true. As a friend told me her brother used to say, "A recipe is just a place to start."

That's how I am. I often don't use recipes, but when I do, I add my own touches here and there. heart

You're glowing, btw.

haha thanks.. I am not much into the grabbing of the booty though.. they think they fixed it to inflation.. though it only matters if you have multiple billions anymore.. xP a few thousand is not going to help yah.. ;<

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

Yeah. I miss the opportunity to grab. Busy discussing business with a friend. That's actually what I came online to do. Haha, didn't expect to be online this late.

Invisible Genius

10,775 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jessie-the-Foodie
Liljames326

Yeah. I miss the opportunity to grab. Busy discussing business with a friend. That's actually what I came online to do. Haha, didn't expect to be online this late.

:p well no problem, I do not want to be a bother. As you say late then I hope you have a good night tonight and sweet dreams when you happen to sleep. And good luck with the site, I am sure you will be able to take it as far as you want! ^^ business always sounds shady though.. even the normal businesses we go to and work at everyday are shady.. its just economics.

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Liljames326

Haha. No, you're no bother. I enjoyed chatting with you, too. Thank you for all of the helpful input. I may need more input later, if you're up for it, or just to chat.

Maybe it is a little shady. I'm trying to talk a friend into working where I work, but I'm afraid I talked that friend out of it unintentionally crying . I still hope that friend will come though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff