Meats/beans 0.3 30.0% [ 6 ]
Fruits 0.15 15.0% [ 3 ]
Veggies 0.1 10.0% [ 2 ]
Dairy 0.15 15.0% [ 3 ]
GIMME SUGAR!!!! 0.1 10.0% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 20 ]
1 2 >

Versatile Muse

So this is my first thread in this forum.
(I didn't know it was here honestly, just typed "food" in search bar.)

Backstory if your interested:
So I am just out of highschool, married in july (to feed the curiosity no i wasn't pregnant we just wanted to commit.) and I have no idea how to cook. O_O I know a few recipes, but whilst I was growing up no one wanted me to cook because of a bad time when I was in the fourth grade. gonk It still follows me to this day.

Anyway on to food:
If you know any good recipes that you just love, will you share them with me? I wish to cook all the things! I prefer Veggies, He like meat. so veggy heavy or meat heavy is ok. :3

Utensils: (husband says general american kitchen)
sauce pans, 2-3 quart Crock pot, skillets, simple things.

Allergies:
Almonds (kinda.. crying but I looovvee 'emmm.)

ingredients available:
Anything we want really. May need to search for it but we can find a way to get it if we really want to. (like lamb. 0.0 that was hard to find...)

Will add more info later. ^_^ Thx for reading!
Before I can give any recipes, what utensils do you have to hand? I ask because it might help those who wish to submit recipes to know if you have the right equipment. For example, there is no point in giving you a recipe for a bread machine if you don't have one.

Also, do you and your partner have any allergies we should know about? I have a great and fudgy brownie recipe but it is made with ground almonds and thus is unsuitable for someone with a nut allergy.
Another suggestion is what kind of stores are available to you in close proximity. For example, if the store only carries meat (poultry, pork and beef), then giving seafood recipes may not be the best option.

Versatile Muse

Sulina
Before I can give any recipes, what utensils do you have to hand? I ask because it might help those who wish to submit recipes to know if you have the right equipment. For example, there is no point in giving you a recipe for a bread machine if you don't have one.

Also, do you and your partner have any allergies we should know about? I have a great and fudgy brownie recipe but it is made with ground almonds and thus is unsuitable for someone with a nut allergy.
We are just starting out, and dont have much in the form of utensils, but live within walking distance of a walmart. We have money to get some, just dont know what to get really.
Also I get itchy with almonds, but not all the time. He wont let me eat them anymore cuz he doesnt want me to have an allergy attack. (It has only been around for about a year, I used to eat them all the time. And sorry I didnt think about utensils before. Will add that when I figure out what all we have.)

Versatile Muse

daredevil_keiji
Another suggestion is what kind of stores are available to you in close proximity. For example, if the store only carries meat (poultry, pork and beef), then giving seafood recipes may not be the best option.
We live near a few butchers and the typical markets (mainly walmarts). We dont have much for seafood type dishes. (we live in good old Oklahoma as of right now. I will add the ingredients we have access to! )

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I love chicken cordon bleu and it's fairly straightforward. Here is a good recipe for it.

Ingredients

1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
5 teaspoons butter, melted $
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Place broth in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 15 seconds or until warm. Stir in butter and garlic. Combine breadcrumbs,

Parmigiano-Reggiano, and paprika in a medium shallow bowl; set aside.
Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound each to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling

pin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, oregano, and pepper. Top each breast half with 1 slice of prosciutto and 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Roll

up each breast half jelly-roll fashion. Dip each roll in chicken broth mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place rolls, seam side down, in an 8-inch

square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining broth mixture over chicken. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until juices run clear and tops are golden.

Versatile Muse

Darth Acheron
I love chicken cordon bleu and it's fairly straightforward. Here is a good recipe for it.

Ingredients

1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Place broth in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 15 seconds or until warm. Stir in butter and garlic. Combine breadcrumbs,

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound each to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling

pin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, oregano, and pepper. Top each breast half with 1 slice of prosciutto and 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Roll

up each breast half jelly-roll fashion. Dip each roll in chicken broth mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place rolls, seam side down, in an 8-inch

square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining broth mixture over chicken. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until juices run clear and tops are golden.

That sounds soooooo good, Thank you for a recipe. :3

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Hottie yoko
Darth Acheron

Ingredients

1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

That sounds soooooo good, Thank you for a recipe. :3
It is. I haven't had it in awhile but it's delicious.

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
Ah well there was something that I threw together the other day that turned out well and was pretty easy. It turned out a lot like a chicken version of my moms Hungarian goulash but with rice instead of Pasta and also not sweet... so I guess sort of like a super easy and quick gumbo? IDK I just throw stuff in the pot till it tastes good.

it was something like:

2 medium onions, chopped
2 tablespoons of minced garlic (or one crushed clove of garlic)
enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of a large pot
1/8 cup flour
2 tablespoons of paprika
cayenne pepper to taste
1 packet of sazon goya' s con azafran (substitute with 1 pinch saffron, 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch cumin)
2 or 3 breasts of chicken in 1 inch cubes
4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth/stock
one 8OZ can of tomato sauce
rice or pasta OPTIONAL

heat the oil in the pot on medium-high while cutting the onions and garlic then carefully put the onions and garlic in the hot oil and stir them immediately to keep them from burning. reduce the heat to medium-low and start cubing the meat. be sure to keep an eye on the onions.
once the meat is cubed, the onions should be translucent if they are not keep cooking till they are. once they are translucent, add the flour and spices slowly to the onions and stir it in until the oil, flour, and spices combine. then add the chicken and cook it for a minute or so until the outer parts are no longer pink. pour in the broth and tomato sauce, stir and let boil for 5 to ten min or until a test cube when cut in half has no pink. at this point you can decide if you want to leave it as a soup or make a hearty stew with rice or pasta. if you want rice or pasta add 1-3 handfuls and let it cook for about 10 minutes or until its done, stirring about once a minute to keep the rice or pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot. if you choose pasta, I recommend penne.

Loyal Gaian

20,375 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
If he likes ribs then try the kind I make they are so yummy my Boyfriend dreams of them lol.

Cut the rack of Ribs into 2 or 3 bones each. Place them in a pot. Add soy sauce Garlic salt and onions. Boil them for about 45mins-1hr take them out of the pot and take off any fat very important to take it off on the bones.
Heat your oven to 350 degrees
line your baking pan with tin foil(makes for easy clean up after)
bake them for 10 -15 mins on each side but make sure you cook the back side of the ribs first and rub whatever kind of the sauce you like on them.

Keep the water you boiled the ribs in and boil your potatoes and carrots in it. Or with the carrots you can boil on there own and after there cooked drain them and melt brown sugar and butter so yummy. also very easy. biggrin

Loyal Gaian

20,375 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
If you like cheese Cake I have a no bake very easy way of making it and you can t mess it up.

1 pre made graham cracker crust
1 block of plain cream cheese(8oz)
1 tub of cool whip
1 can of what ever kind of toping (I like strawberry's)

mix with a mixer, the cream cheese and cool whip when all the chunks are gone put in in your pre made graham cracker crust and put on you favorite topping. Let it sit over night and eat it the next day smile

Loyal Gaian

20,375 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Or just meatballs and rice. Cooking doesn't have to be difficult just throw anything in a pot and call it goolosh smile it always taste good.

Loyal Gaian

20,375 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Oh last thing if you guys like bacon the best way is in the oven.

Heat the oven 425degrees cook to desired crispiness.
line the baking pan with tin foil onces again for easy clean up.
my fav way to cook and eat it

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
mentioning my moms goulash got me thinking about all of her go-to recipes.

so I dug them out of the cabinet. Here are some of them:

"Nanna's Goulash"

INGREDIENTS
2 or 3 Tbs. Vegetable oil
5/4 lb. beef chuck or stew meat cut into one inch cubes
1/2 cup flour
1 or 2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8oz. can of tomato sauce (DelMonte)
1 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup (Heinz)
1 box medium shell pasta
1/4 tsp paprika (sweet hungarian)
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
heat oil in a 4-8 quart pot
sift flour and spices (or just mix them together really well) then dredge beef cubes in flour-spice mixture.
brown dredged beef cubes in hot oil.
add onion and garlic and finnish browning together with the beef.
add tomato sauce water and ketchup, stir, bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat. let simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
cook pasta according to the package directions, drain and serve by pouring goulash over pasta
(if the sauce is too salty or not sweet enough, add a teaspoon of brown sugar to fix it)

"Linguini and Clams"

INGREDIENTS
3 8oz cans of minced clams
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS
drain clams and reserve juice.
heat oil in saucepan or skillet
add minced garlic, cook until tender
add clam juice and all other ingredients except for the drained, minced clams
cook on medium heat for 10 min. stirring occasionally
stir in drained clams,
cook just until clams are heated through
serve over linguine or a similar pasta

Spinach and Bowtie Pasta

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. of pasta (bowtie, penne, rotini, and other similar pastas all work well)
1/4 cup butter
10oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 tsp. salt
1 cup ricotta
1/4 cup parmesan
1/4 cup milk
ground nutmeg to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot boil water and cook pasta
In a 2 qt saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add salt and spinach and cook for 10 min.
reduce heat to low, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
cook until heated through
drain pasta and pour spinach sauce over pasta.
toss and serve

there are more that I might add at a later date (when i can find them) but for now that should be enough. and if its not there's always chef john

Fashionable Shapeshifter

4,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100
Roast is really easy to make if you have a crockpot (if not you might want to invest in one, you can make everything in them).
You just add some sort of roast (rump roast or pot roast and 2 easy to remember ones) put it in the crockpot with 1 pack of dry onion drip mix, a cup of water and whatever veggies you like such as potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. You cook it on low for about 10-11 hours or high for about 5-6.
Super easy and Super yummy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces