Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Friend

Okay, so I just bought Final Fantasy XII for the PS2, knowing that I've heard good things about FF.
But once I bought it, I realized, "hey. I don't know anything about this game and I don't know if I should have started with the first one..."
So I have a few questions.
yum_strawberry Does each Final Fantasy have its own story line?
yum_strawberry Is it ok to start with Final Fantasy XII as your first Final Fantasy game?
yum_strawberry Which, in your opinion, is the best Final Fantasy?
yum_strawberry Lastly, how should I go about learning how to play. Should I read the manual, or just jump into it?
Does each Final Fantasy have its own story line?
For the most part, yes.
If it involves a -2 at the end (example: Final Fantasy X-2 or Final Fantasy XIII-2), or one title along side a numbered title (example: Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII, Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XII Reverent Wings, ect.), those are sequels/prequels.

Is it ok to start with Final Fantasy XII as your first Final Fantasy game?
Absolutely yes. Although it's rather different from most other Final Fantasy's. But if you enjoy XII, you should look up other games in the Ivalice Alliance series. They delve more into the hystory/world.

Which, in your opinion, is the best Final Fantasy?
Coincidentally, my favourite is XII.

Lastly, how should I go about learning how to play. Should I read the manual, or just jump into it?
As far as I know, all Final Fantasy games have tutorials in the beginning that will walk you through everything you'll need to know to play the game. Have fun!
och0phobia
You guys ******** suck.

? This forum is slow, it can't be helped if no one answers right away. confused
You ******** suck.

Versatile Receiver

I was gonna answer your questions but then you were so unnecessarily rude so NO get out
och0phobia
Okay, so I just bought Final Fantasy XII for the PS2, knowing that I've heard good things about FF.
But once I bought it, I realized, "hey. I don't know anything about this game and I don't know if I should have started with the first one..."
yum_strawberry Is it ok to start with Final Fantasy XII as your first Final Fantasy game?
yum_strawberry Lastly, how should I go about learning how to play. Should I read the manual, or just jump into it?
Sure, I'd be happy to answer your questions. To start off-

och0phobia
You guys ******** suck.

OH WELL NEVER ******** MIND THEN.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Does each FF have it's own story? Yes, unless stated otherwise like 10 and 10-2 none of the games are directly connected.

Is it good to start with 12? Well no, I wouldn't. Personally the plot was a bit slow for my taste and the sheer size of the world in the game is a bit overwhelming, especially if it's your first FF game. I'd start small before moving to something that content heavy. Also a bit of advice NEVER FIGHT YIAZIMAT! The thing has so much health it actually takes several hours to beat and at that point the whole thing is just unceasing tedium.

Which is the best? Final Fantasy 4, no question. Second place for me would go to Final Fantasy Dimensions, 3rd goes to 6, 4th goes to 2 and 5th goes to 9. And of course dead last, AKA a game I wouldn't force my worst enemy to play and I personally have a rule that it's not even allowed into my house is 13, 13-2's not bad though.

How should you learn to play? Well that depends on the game really. Some of the classics are simple enough to jump into but there's a lot to 12 so it takes a bit more of an investment. Personally for such cases I just look up a let's play or something like that and just play along with it. Assuming you found a good and informative one you're bound to pick up on the more complex aspects without too much trouble.

Shy Star

och0phobia

Each Final Fantasy has a unique story-line, not counting spin-offs and sequels.

Final Fantasy XII is a good game, but it was created by the makers of Final Fantasy Tactics, (Not Hironobu Sakaguchi) So I wouldn't start there, otherwise you'll be getting an unauthentic Final Fantasy experience. FFXII is more combat based than story based. Its an incredibly long game that even at 300 hours of gameplay I've barely hit the 50% mark.

In my opinion (which is a good one) Final Fantasy IX is the best game of the series. It had captivating characters and a classic romance/war story with an AMAZING steampunk theme and it has you learn skills and abilities from weapons instead of buying them or learning them as you level up.

When it comes to this you're at a disadvantage. FXII is not a turn-based rpg like its predecessors. THe games main combat focus is the gambits system which is a priority-based auto-battle. Alot of people didn't like gambits, but i thought it was ingenious. Don't bother with the manual, just jump into the game and PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING THEY SAY.

Riunite's Fav

Assimilated Player

10,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Wtf

You are a huge c**t, OP

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff