7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Peltrow
Absolute Claws
MooMooJuice
Telon
To be honest, I'd rather have a XIII-3, because DLC is supposed to be extra stuff. I don't like the idea of a company making a game where the story is not even finished, unless it is followed by another game. $60 is already too much for a game in my opinion; making us spend more on DLC to finish the MAIN STORYLINE seems like kind of a ripoff. The Snow and Sazh episodes make sense, because they're not really a major part of this story, but I actually hope the Lightning DLC doesn't resolve anything and only provides insight into the game as a whole.

And if it does it should be free, right?

I'm not expecting Lightning's DLC to resolve anything. I honestly don't think it will, either.

Though I do wonder whatever happened to Lindzei and Pulse. Was that ever explained in XIII? I never did fill out the datalog in that game..

Just like everything else Toriyama writes, he comes up with great mysteries and grade A bullshit, and never resolves them, or simply says "No one knows how x y'd" in universe.
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

It's not uncommon in mythology for the gods or goddesses to have incomplete stories, and the Fabula Nova Crystallis never states what happens to Pulse or Lindzei either. As far as we know from released information, both Lindzei and Pulse seemingly disappeared never to be seen again. Naturally the fal'Cie felt abandoned.

This "Toriyama" excuse is getting dull and tiresome to read.

Stop grasping at straws. It's nothing but plain author laziness. At least the Datalog in XIII bothered to explain "Deities are s**t" if you read it, but XIII-2 just outright says "Who knows why this happened? Magic? Sure why not, who reads this s**t anyway"

And look at The 3rd Birthday. It's the exact same bullshit. Why do you defend this terrible writer?

And why does Gaia insist on ******** up quotes.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

Mainly because I liked XIII's story/writing, and that's what we're discussing here. I couldn't care less what he did with The 3rd Birthday. I don't need to grasp at straws to explain XIII-related events, because I know pretty much everything.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
XIII's writing was okay, but overly cryptic and extremely repetitve. XIII-2 was apoplexy-inducingly bad. The 3rd Birthday is written in the EXACT. SAME. WAY. with EXTREMELY similar stories.

It is very poorly written. So seriously, why do you insist on defending this really terrible writer? At least in similiar bizarrely written stories, like VIII, most things relevant to the plot are explained (in a stupid way, but at least its properly explained) or ignored so people don't think about it straight away.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

XIII-2 was meh-able. XIII remains my favorite, and for good reason.

I'm not defending his overall writing. I'm defending his writing in XIII.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Meh-able doesn't cover it.

XIII was okay. But look at the first 7 chapters. "I'M A L'CIE NOW. WE'RE SCREWED. NO WE MUST HOPE. BUT WE CAN'T. SHOULD WE?" There's every line of dialogue in the first 7 chapters alone. 8 and 9 are slightly different, being more downtrodden and upbeat respectively, and then 11-13 its just hopeful variations of the usual.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

He didn't write the script. He wrote or came up with the story scenario and events.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
But he was director. Writers conform to the director's image, and the director guides the writer.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

I didn't find anything wrong with the dialogue throughout the game anyway. I've had more issue with the retardation I get from characters like Zell in FFVIII, but I have odd opinions.

Oh, and Squall's consistent "whatever"s... Ugh...

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Why yes, there are moments through out the series that made me very "... ugh" , particularly in the games where the story becomes more prominent. I'm trying to think of a something not from VIII or XIII-2 IX but I can't remember at the moment . They're usually the parts where you know you shouldn't do this, but the game forces you because the characters are idiots. I always hate those.

I - III and maybe V are off the hook because the plots aren't treated as seriously.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

But anyway, getting back to Toriyama's writing...

If it makes you feel any better, sometimes I pretend XIII-2 never happened. I loved XIII's ending. ;c

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Same here, Peltrow, same here.

The worst part is - there was no need for a XIII-2. Nobody really wanted a sequel. Nobody wanted to follow Serah and a newbie on a KH'ish quest. Nobody wanted a game with an obvious sequel hook to come out in 1/4 of the time of the original when they could've made a full game instead. The ending of XIII-2, while cheap somewhat, can be negated through in universe justifications.

Urgh. At least you get to put a fake moustache on Ultros.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

Hey, I love Serah. I wanted to play as her for ages, and was angered to find out she was originally planned to be playable in XIII. Which is part of what made me so excited about XIII-2.

But I agree, it wasn't needed. And I love XIII so much. :c

I seriously found XIII's ending perfect. It was happy, it was sad, it was beautiful, and still conclusive. Plus Vanille and Fang's sacrifice. <3

I think Toriyama just needs to focus on making normal more down-to-earth plots. Time travel is clearly not something he's good at playing with.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
I liked Serah in XIII, but I was not interested in seeing her in battle at all. She was clearly a more medic/supporter character, and I really don't see how she was advertised right up there with Lightning and Snow when she wasn't that major.

XIII's ending never really justifies the sudden volcano or sudden freezing with no impact on anything but Cocoon, nor how the heroes uncrystallized, let alone Serah and Dajh conveniently being right next to each other and appearing at the same time uncrystallized, but I guess you can say "power of hope from Fang and Vanille turned them into demigods".

But yes, Toriyama needs to stop messing with time. Hell, he needs to stop getting carried away with mystical intrigue and throwing his characters into impossible to win situations and getting them out or not.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

Physics would suggest that when a massive planet is hurtling towards another massive body, the gravitational force will result in things like volcanos and earthquakes

As for freezing over, I don't know. But I didn't care in the slightest, because it was never important to me. Fang and Vanille made a pillar. That's all I cared about.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
If real world physics were implied in XIII, then Pulse would've been a truly mashed up piece of s**t with a moon that damn close to the planet. I don't do the scientific studies or physics, but even I know that the planet would've been long dead by then.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff