Yes 0.61290322580645 61.3% [ 19 ]
No 0.12903225806452 12.9% [ 4 ]
Don't start from the beginning 0.2258064516129 22.6% [ 7 ]
Gold 0.032258064516129 3.2% [ 1 ]
Why you no make sense? 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 31 ]
1 2 >

Hilarious Gekko

Hey, so ever since I played Crisis Core, FF 13 and a bit of 3 (yeah, I know, a lot emotion_awesome .... emotion_facepalm ) I was thinking about getting all the Final Fantasy games from the beginning and the consoles to play them on. Is this a good idea? I don't know, because after thinking about it more, is it worth playing the first couple of Final Fantasy's?
Also, i don't know a lot about the games so are the FF's all linked together or does each have their own story line?

Sorry if this doesn't really make a lot of sense. I'll be happy to clarify in replies
Luckily for you, most, if not all, of the older games have been remade for newer consoles (well, never than the consoles they were originally on). Some are even on PC.
I would personally try to get what you can for whatever consoles/computers you have before buying a bunch of new consoles. Just to find out if you consistently enjoy the games enough that you want to buy every single one (there are a lot...) along with the consoles that you'll need to play them with.

For the most part, each installment follows its own storyline. The exceptions I know of are the FFVII series (Before Crisis, Crisis Core, VII, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus), the FFX series (X and X-2), and the FXIII series (XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns). Each of which recycles characters at some length and whose storylines are connected to each other.

Then you have the games that that use similar mythology/worlds like Fabula Nova Crystallis and Ivalice Alliance, but otherwise are separate games with separate characters and can be played and understood without playing the others of that series.

Er, short version. You do not need to play all the games to get the full story because most of them are separate from each other.
P.S. If you are looking for a place to begin, if you enjoyed Crisis Core, then play VII. It's the first game created of the VII series, so the graphics are outdated from CC, but it's CC's direct sequel, so you might be interested.

You could also continue on with XIII and play the sequels XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

Otherwise I recommend XII. Which is just my personal favourite.

Hilarious Gekko

MooMooJuice
Luckily for you, most, if not all, of the older games have been remade for newer consoles (well, never than the consoles they were originally on). Some are even on PC.
I would personally try to get what you can for whatever consoles/computers you have before buying a bunch of new consoles. Just to find out if you consistently enjoy the games enough that you want to buy every single one (there are a lot...) along with the consoles that you'll need to play them with.

For the most part, each installment follows its own storyline. The exceptions I know of are the FFVII series (Before Crisis, Crisis Core, VII, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus), the FFX series (X and X-2), and the FXIII series (XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns). Each of which recycles characters at some length and whose storylines are connected to each other.

Then you have the games that that use similar mythology/worlds like Fabula Nova Crystallis and Ivalice Alliance, but otherwise are separate games with separate characters and can be played and understood without playing the others of that series.

Er, short version. You do not need to play all the games to get the full story because most of them are separate from each other.

Thanks, this was really helpful. Think I'll start with VII as you said in the next post as I really loved Crisis Core. Then I'll get the others I can play with my current consoles. Thank you for the detail too biggrin
If you are interested in getting them all, every game but 3, 11 and 12 are currently available on ps3 (1, 2, and 4-9 are downloadable from psn). 3 is on ds, psp, vita, mobile, and ouya, 11 is on ps2, windows, and 360, and 12 is on ps2, though there is a possibility that 12 will be rereleased in HD in the future.
Jisatsu Koibito
Hey, so ever since I played Crisis Core, FF 13
If you've played crisis core, then you've got a psp, I'm assuming. If that is correct, then you can get 1-4 on it. No need to get the older machines for those unless you really want to see what the original releases were like. The wiki page that lists the games says that 5 and 6 were released for the first playsation in 1998 and 1999, respectively, however I do not know if that was only for Japan or if it was for other places too. If you have the first play station, or want to get the final fantasy games that run on it, you could get a ps2 that let the ps1 games run, and use it to play all of the ones up to that console. Here is the wiki game list page if you'd like to look into it more.

Hilarious Gekko

Turnilk
Jisatsu Koibito

Ohh, thank you I'll have a look at that sight and plan from there.
Yeah, I have a PSP..somewhere. My brother broke it in a gaming rage so need to get that fixed. stressed Thanks^^
Jisatsu Koibito
Ohh, thank you I'll have a look at that sight and plan from there.
Yeah, I have a PSP..somewhere. My brother broke it in a gaming rage so need to get that fixed. stressed Thanks^^

The list also says that 1-6 were released for the game boy advance, if you have that system and are able to find those games for it. You could also get a game cube and an adapter that lets you play the handheld games on a television (works for Gameboy, Gameboy color, and Gameboy advance games). So, several ways to go if you can't use your psp whee Though the psp ones do have a little cinematic movie before it gets to the start screen, you could look those up on youtube if you want.

Also, early ps3 systems would play ps2 games (maybe ps1 games too), though be aware there is a chance to get the yellow light of death. I suggest looking up the ps3 systems if you want to try getting one of those.

Good luck finding a method of playing them. Whichever way you go about it, I hope you get some enjoyment out of them.

Sparkly Dabbler

9,600 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
I think its definitely worth it to play through all of them. When I first got into the series I never had the intention to play through all the games but eventually decided to just so I could experience each game (though I've skipped the online ones). I also did it so I could form my own opinions about each game.

It's worth it to play most of the old ones. I should mention though that I am saying this out of a personal bias due to the fact that I found FF I to be boring and FF III not much more entraining. II is a little more interesting because it actually features characters (not counting the DS remake of III) with minor personalities and backstories. Granted, these games were made during the era of gaming when interesting characters weren't a very important thing in a game. But bias aside, if you want to experience the start of FF and the beginning progressions of the battle system then play I~III. IV and on are certainly playing.

As mentioned, the games are separate except for in the cases of the ones mentioned plus FF IV and After Years (if you have a PSP there is a combo pack that has IV, an interlude story, and After Years all together), and FF XII and Revenant Wings (XII on the PS2 and RW on the DS, it's a sequel to XII).

If you end up liking a lot of the numeral title games and have PSP I would recommend playing Dissidia 012. It's a fun fighting game featuring the main protagonists, some side characters, and villains from games I~XIII.
AppleSpiceKat

How did I forget about XII's sequel. And I called myself a fan of XII.... I am ashamed.

Aged Gawker

The only ones I would suggest playing. Is 1-7 And as for 2 and 3 the third you should get the original Famicom version which was better then the 3d one. But you'll need a translated rom version of it. but ya Also I liked FF9 too but I say skip 8 because 8 had the by far worse battle system out of all of them. The whole "draw" system was incredibly annoying and pointless. FF2's battle system is debatable because I didn't like it at first because it took so damn long to get hp or strength etc because of having to attack your self just to gain stats. lol But I got over it and ended up feeling it was just a funny thing about it. Overall it was a good FF. As for newer Final Fantasies....FF10 I hated the story with a passion but I liked the battle system and liked doing all the side stuff in the game but I totally ignored the story except the very end which actually made the entire game pointless story wise. FFX-2 had a totally useless pointless dumb story. But I loved the battle system especially since they brought back the job system. I loved FF12, no idea why everyone hated it. The battle system was a bit annoying but everything else was epic. The idea it was set in the same world as FF Tactics advance made no sense though because in FFTA it was all a dream, and it never existed but yet they totally ignore the events of FFTA which I found interesting to say the least. And the International version of FF12 was kind of neat with the whole Job system wheel they added....and I like that version better only because they added a "speed" button to the game making it twice as easy to grind in a short amount of time because during simple battles for grinding you can just click the speed button and leave it on to get threw some easy areas and it is nice going through big areas like the fields etc. I hated FF13...I didnt mind the battle system but other than that the game was annoying. And I hated 13-2 completely. Lighting Returns is a total joke, I would never recommend that to anyone. So in conclusion I say play the classics first. And don't worry FF1 is really not that big of a game so you can easily get through it pretty quickly, its 2 and 3 that are pretty long, especially 3 that game is huge and pretty hard. FF4 and FF6 though are my favorites out of all of them. Not because they were easy but I loved the stories and the battle system was addictive, I did not mind grinding in that, in fact I liked fighting in those, and they both had epic soundtracks.
Play FF6-12. Skip the rest for now.

Romantic Senshi

12,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
If you like the series, play them all. =x But I never liked the experience system from FF2, actually...

Romantic Senshi

11,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
Raidus
Play FF6-12. Skip the rest for now.

What about FF4? It's a great game! heart

Plinti's Husband

Distinct Seeker

11,575 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Yup, play all of them, and don't forget to play Final Fantasy Tactics from PS1! Great game! ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff