Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

Why the purge would work
Now, as many of you know, there were a series of movies, produced by DeMonaco, which were formed around a core premise, of "The purge". The central idea is more or less that once a year, America allows all the criminals in the U.S. to basically do whatever they want, for a single night, get out all of their aggression and hate, all of their desire to destroy, for a full 12-24 hours, and that, for some reason, this has lowered the crime rate in the U.S. While the reasoning is ambiguous, and a lot like the matrix in that it's story is more or less a vehicle for ridiculous and insane action sequences, later iterations have suggested one of a few things, which is that people either are naturally violent and need a day to get it out of their system, or that by killing off all the poor people, crime goes down, or something or other like that.

Now, while I'm not a big fan of the idea, I've got an idea of how such a ludicrous, and stupid idea could work; although not in the way the original producers probably intended. It's simply stated in the purge that it "works", and they don't know how or why. Obviously, the majority of people have a relative sense of empathy, compassion, and caring, and doesn't want to seriously kill or hurt anyone, even if they think they deserve it, if they can avoid it. Without a relative sense of urgency to do so, most people are fine and complacent with never having to have had deal with the horror of actually killing someone.

The core central premise revolves around the laughable idea of "controlled chaos"; that we can all organize ourselves to give us a single day of Anarchy. Like criminals will all synchronize their schedules, and say "you know, I was going to kill my ex-wife in a fit of violent rage for burning the grilled cheese the third time these week because I'm a ******** pyscho (and also I think she's cheating on me), BUT, you know what, in the interest in fairness, I'll reserve my unrepressed rage until the day where I'm legally allowed to kill her. Or, like we could really trace it; I mean, if you committed a crime 1 hour later, would anybody really know that it was; DNA evidence can place you at the scene of the crime and can prove that you got blood on you, but if you just say "well, I killed her on Anarchy day!", how in God's name do you really prove otherwise? Today, all you have to do is prove that someone murdered someone else at all; now you have to prove the exact date. You could get away with crime hours beforehand and afterwords. Drug dealers will just decide that the money they make from systematic crime just doesn't compare to a day when they can unleash their animalistic tendencies, it's all about aggression, not about a desire for money or power. People, even if they did gather to commit crimes on the same day, could not realistically expected to be stopped; oh, I was going to murder my best friend's wife for not sleeping with me, but, the timer started buzzing signalling the end of the purge and well, I guess play time is over. Too bad, try again next year; I mean, and if someone did fail to kill you, would you go back to being their friend, or wouldn't you plot to kill them before then? So on and so forth.

The idea makes no sense, and completely ignores the core central basis to human behaviour, or really common sense. But, then, why do I believe it could "work"; now, I don't personally believe this is a good idea. In fact, I think it's horrible, and I'd never want to do it. But, as far as it "working" goes, that is strangely lowering crime, I think I can shed some light on that. In the movies, the good guys tend to win. Now, I personally believe that, in general, the good guys would win more often; aside from that 1-3% of society who lacks morals, is desperate, or are just plan evil, the majority of people are good. While this is a ballpark range, I think most people could agree it's between 95-99% of the population who are not likely to commit major criminal acts even if given the chance, and thus it can easily be said that we outnumber the bad guys; somewhere around 20-100 to 1. There's a minimum of 20 times as many good guys, and likely far more; so in essence, we outnumber the bad guys. Even if it's a one on one, 50-50 chance of survival, we at best lose a small percent of the population, while all the bad guys get killed, too. Now, while this leaves a lot of potential for innocent people to get hurt, while I'd never like it, and too much potential for damage, more or less, it does stand to reason that, we could take out all the bad guys.

See, all the really nasty, sick, disgusting pieces of s**t would come out all on one night to do bad things, essentially revealing themselves. All the rapists, child molesters, murderers, so on and so forth. And all of us good people would be ready for it; it's not, walking down the alley way at the wrong time in the wrong place, it's sitting on top of your house with a minigun waiting for the bastards to run down the street. The average person is not only likely more motivated, being less cowardly and selfish, as well as generally stupid and deranged as the average criminal, but likely in a good defensive position, banding together with their neighbours, to fight off the bad guys. We'd all be forced to learn how to fight, how to train, how essentially to be like a militia, which would bring us closer together, and help us fight for each other's lives, which would build a level of confidence never before seen; the aspect of controlled chaos would make it a lot like sports, where we could plan and get teams and gain comraderery for helping each other and learning to get better at what we do. We'd all need to be physically fit, trained, and have a lot of common sense revealed to us real quickly on what does and does not work. It might be a tad expensive to get good defenses, but we could easily go around in armed bands waiting to deal with the crazies; in fact, so effectively, that eventually, the purge may not even be a problem.

Off duty cops and military could be our bodyguards, people who generally want to do good, and we could just take out all the bad guys. Some innocent people would die, in relatively unprotected places, but, in general, I'd think we'd stand a fairly good chance against the 1% of the population who was that crazy. And that's just it; we'd kill them all. The purge isn't the weak being killed off by the strong, it's the crazies showing themselves, and us good guys killing them all off. Anyone who even tried to do bad things would get gunned down or taken out real quickly, due to vigilante violence, and more or less, we'd take out all the criminals or pyschos. The reason it could work is that, us good guys would be so much better than the bad guys that we could kill them all if they tried anything, and we would. In fact, vigilante bands might go around snuffing out gangs and people that we can't go after with warrants just yet, or that we only throw in jail for a few years on a drug charge before they get back out, and instead just wipe them out. All the organized crime, all the scum of society, would be at the mercy of people who wanted to wipe them out, and in general, they'd most likely be a LOT more effective, from better equipment and motivation, to inherently larger numbers.

In essence, while I don't realize believe in the silly idea concocted as a dumb reason to make a a crappy horror movie, for alternative reasons, the purge might "just work", simply because all the bad guys would get killed off during their attempted killing sprees. We as society would band together and fight them off so well that they'd practically disappear. And we could coordinate it all in one night, too.

It's not the inherent evil in all mean that we get out of our systems, it's the inherent good that causes us to rely on one another and work with each other for a common good, in this case eradicating the evil in the world as they try to attack us. One night of sheer terror, then they're gone. Easy peasy. We essentially, take out all the bad guys after they reveal themselves to us.

But what do you think ED?

Do you think the purge could work, or do you think it's just another silly pipe dream I've had from taking too much of this um... hard candy I found, down the street? (Real nice guy, though).

Interesting Star

7,800 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
Ive always said it would work. i honestly think it would benefit where i live a whole ******** lot with the attitudes they have most times.

I love in scotland btw c:

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
I think for the most part the only people who would commit crimes during that time who wouldn't already be doing so would be a ton of respectable people stealing/killing/etc who had previously let the laws stop them

Fanatical Zealot

My Dog Mr. Kitty
I think for the most part the only people who would commit crimes during that time who wouldn't already be doing so would be a ton of respectable people stealing/killing/etc who had previously let the laws stop them

And then we could wipe them out. ninja

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
What 'bout all them white colla' crimes? I mean think o' all th' doubloons banks would lose from hacka's and s**t. All th' blokes who use it as an opportunity ta' do th' nonviolent crimes they couldn't do beforehand. Companies dumpin' toxic waste inta' th' ocean and firin' employees they couldn't beforehand due ta' laws against discrimination

Also yer fergetin' th' crafty blokes. What 'bout those that decide ta' go and poison a wata' supply? Contaminate crops? How 'bout goin' ta' a pet store and jus' releasin' th' animals inta' th' wild ta' hopefully 'cause an ecological disturbance? Settin' fires and s**t? Destroyin' proparty and ruinin' th' usefulness o' land? So many illegal activities now open ta' th' public

Unless this lawless purge only temporarily revokes laws invovlin' physical violence

Imagine all th' crimes that would happen. A president could use drone strikes ta' cut down all political opposition in th' senate and house and then go and get whateva' bills they want passed

Th' corrupt police departments could shoot any unarmed citizens that in th' past proved ta' be an annoyance er constant threat ta' their department. Local politics would become completely corrupt as they wouldn't wanna risk death from th' corrupt on that one day. Make illegal deals. Build on land ye normally couldn't build on

Rich blokes who dislike unions in their companies could hire marcenaries ta' jus' kill th' leada's o' th' unions. Kill employees that try and report yer companiy's dishonest behavior. Hell ye could have entire battles against storefronts who wish ta' have economic dominance in th' area. Have a Target fightin' th' Walmart across th' Street only ta' have th' Kmart come in and take both o' 'em out

I find it funny how yer entire plan be that th' good people would outnumba' th' bad and that it'd be a battle o' th' vast good vs th' minute evil. Yer ova'estimatin' and unda'estimatin' people and fergetin' th' entire neutral population who'd only be lookin' out fer themselves

Th' purge would work, jus' not in th' way yer want. Blokes would be too scared ta' pose an opposition ta' th' rich and corrupt who'd actually be good at plannin' and commitin' th' crimes against th' public, violent er otha'wise. It'd be a world ruled by fear and powa'

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Suicidesoldier#1
My Dog Mr. Kitty

But it would cause people to break the law who wouldn't have done so otherwise

And you're not considering the crimes that can't be discovered until after this "purge", or the ones that won't ever be discovered

Fanatical Zealot

My Dog Mr. Kitty
Suicidesoldier#1
My Dog Mr. Kitty

But it would cause people to break the law who wouldn't have done so otherwise

And you're not considering the crimes that can't be discovered until after this "purge", or the ones that won't ever be discovered

I am, I'm just saying, we would wipe out the criminals trying to attack us, over time. xp
It would be safer and faster to nuke the entire site from orbit.

Fanatical Zealot

The20
It would be safer and faster to nuke the entire site from orbit.

Yes, but that wouldn't stop the hellspores, now would it?

It only takes 1 hellspore to destroy an entire planet; what do you think would happen if 500 went off, simultaneously?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I think you underestimate the power of cowardice. I haven't seen the movies, but if the bulk of the population formed a militia, with soldiers and police off-duty at their side, then the criminal elements in society would probably realize that the purge was little more than a ruse.

The tidbit about drug dealers going out of business because people can kill once a year made me lol.

Aged Survivor

Yoshpet
I think you underestimate the power of cowardice. I haven't seen the movies, but if the bulk of the population formed a militia, with soldiers and police off-duty at their side, then the criminal elements in society would probably realize that the purge was little more than a ruse.

The tidbit about drug dealers going out of business because people can kill once a year made me lol.

You're not missing anything by not seeing the movies. I don't even remember The Purge addressing anything like drug use, prostitution, minor shoplifting, etc. The first movie was basically a home invasion horror flick with a little window dressing to make it seem unique. It's also got that whole, "Oh, look at all this classism," vibe, which I'm told is expanded upon in the second film.

If there's another sequel perhaps it will include a pop-up market filled to the brim with drugs and sex trafficking; just make sure all the coke is snorted off that hooker's a** before the purge ends.

Shirtless Member

Okay, lets say that the purge is put into effect. Would somebody who doesn't like gays and decides to use their day to hurt or kill them. Is that a good guy killing crazies or a crazy who needs to be shot?

What if it's someone killing people they think the world would be better off without, who isn't necessarily a criminal? Example: I don't like feminazi's, they claim to want equality like any other feminist but their behavior suggests that they would prefer men to be subservient to women. Would I be a bad person if I picked a couple of them off?

I'm not sure that the purge would work in the way you suggest, since we all have different ideas of what makes a good person, what you'd really get is a bunch of mini 'colonies' popping up once a year trying to kill anyone who disagrees with them.

I'd sooner just get an underground bunker and wait it out, rather than get involved at all. Since it's essentially a scheduled apocalypse I might as well prep for that 24h time period. Family can come with me, anyone else can get their own damn bunker.

Fanatical Zealot

ratgirl34
Okay, lets say that the purge is put into effect. Would somebody who doesn't like gays and decides to use their day to hurt or kill them. Is that a good guy killing crazies or a crazy who needs to be shot?

What if it's someone killing people they think the world would be better off without, who isn't necessarily a criminal? Example: I don't like feminazi's, they claim to want equality like any other feminist but their behavior suggests that they would prefer men to be subservient to women. Would I be a bad person if I picked a couple of them off?

I'm not sure that the purge would work in the way you suggest, since we all have different ideas of what makes a good person, what you'd really get is a bunch of mini 'colonies' popping up once a year trying to kill anyone who disagrees with them.

I'd sooner just get an underground bunker and wait it out, rather than get involved at all. Since it's essentially a scheduled apocalypse I might as well prep for that 24h time period. Family can come with me, anyone else can get their own damn bunker.

But would everyone kill the gays or feminazis? We don't all kill each other, right now. I think only a minority would kill these people, even if they hated them. I remember bill O reily freaking out after somebody referred to Obama as Hitler, and he was all like "Well, he's not that bad".

I'm not saying I'd actually want it, since lots of innocent people would die too, but more or less, lots of bad people would get weeded out. I think most of us can agree that murderers, rapists, violent abusers etc. are all pretty damn bad, so there's at least some common ground on who we'd all set our sights on wiping out. And if people acted in a largely defensive manner, then they wouldn't go around hunting dah bad guys.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff