Welcome to Gaia! ::

Henrika
Yuki the Third
village midget
I feel intimidated by it. It seems you are required as the end user to know something about code and I don't know anything...
Fun fact: the only version that has anything to do with code is gentoo. No other ones have any code use. Heck, I bet you've probably been using a version or two without even knowing it. Got a sony game system? got an android phone? Both run linux.
I have a mac.
so a mesh of Unix and BSD.

Quote:
Also, back when I used linux, in order to run Wine in order to use various windows programs you DID have to use command line.
wow, that was like back in the 90s....
Any solution to lack of AMD video support, Yuki? I don't have one of the cards that's supported by whatever that standard library is.
Yuki the Third
Henrika
Yuki the Third
village midget
I feel intimidated by it. It seems you are required as the end user to know something about code and I don't know anything...
Fun fact: the only version that has anything to do with code is gentoo. No other ones have any code use. Heck, I bet you've probably been using a version or two without even knowing it. Got a sony game system? got an android phone? Both run linux.
I have a mac.

Quote:
Also, back when I used linux, in order to run Wine in order to use various windows programs you DID have to use command line.
Last summer actually.

Fanatical Smoker

Linteia
I would LOVE to use Linux! Just as soon as Maxis/Blizzard/Adobe/Microsoft/every other program I use on a near daily basis has Linux support, I will be all over that. But for now, I really like my games, need Photoshop and have to be able to open and edit Word documents. I tried fiddling with it once to make it work, but it just wasn't worth it.

You should try Open Office for your word docs, it does everything Word does but it's more intuitive to use. Plus you can insert images into the text and lay them out/resize etc very easily (last time I tried to do this with Word it became a nightmare of fiddling about with formatting) you can save in word format (.doc) or export as pdf with one click of a button. It runs on all the operating systems I have ever heard of and it's free.
Henrika
Yuki the Third
Henrika
Yuki the Third
village midget
I have a mac.

Quote:
Last summer actually.
Then you were doing it wrong.

applications, settings, add/remove programs, add wine.

boom, done in four clicks.
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Any solution to lack of AMD video support, Yuki? I don't have one of the cards that's supported by whatever that standard library is.
no idea, it works until the kernel is updated so I think it's just a glitch with the jump to 3.2 they made.

Still trying to sell this laptop off and get a thinkpad.

Fashionable Shopper

User ImageMost everything I do on the computer is done easiest on Windows. I also enjoy the look of Windows 7 anyway. I just didn't enjoy how complicated it was for me to do things on Ubuntu. That was the only version I tried. However, Maple Story only really supports Windows I believe. I'm sure there are work-arounds but I don't care to do things that are complicated. I'd just rather use something I am happy with. I also prefer my MS Office as opposed to Open Office as well. Its just.. familiar and easier to use in my opinion. In short- I didn't enjoy my experience with Linux. It wasn't useful either. I found myself using Windows a lot more often than booting up with Ubuntu. It just wasn't worth it.

Enduring Phantom

What is this? I don't even...?

Should I be concerned that I have no clue what in the world that Wikipedia page just said? Being completely honest, it looks like rocket science to me, so I'll assume that this is just some really amped up hacker program that only those skilled with computers can understand or use. From what I can see by other user's posts it lacks things though, so unless it can stream videos well, run Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim among other games on max settings, and do everything Windows does, it's dead to me. emotion_donotwant
Yuki the Third
village midget

1) Is the correct pronunciation Line-ux or Lynne-ux?
I try to avoid that since it's like asking "Kirk or Picard?"...it causes nerd rage and endless debates.

Quote:
2) Is it impregnable to viruses?
there's a total of 26 linux viruses, none of which exist outside of a laboratory environment. So no, there's no viruses.

Actually, it is possible to have viruses, but people who write viruses do it for maximum damage. Therefor they presently chose windows, or even write them for macintards before they write them for linux.

Besides why do you need a virus to ******** with linux. That is like pissing in a river full of piss.
I use Microsoft because I am an Avid Gamer. Linux on the other hand has a lot of limitations on software licenses.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Because some effort may be required. gonk

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lack of native support for most major video games and the software I use at work.

There is a nasty emulator called WINE which emulates some windows functions but not all due to copyright related legal issues.

And it takes a lot of tinkering to get it running well and keep it running well. I would much rather have a system that keeps itself up to date and needs no mucking around on my part to maintain it.
GunsmithKitten
Je Nique vos Merdiers

Why don't you want to improve your IT skills?

Because college courses aren't free and I don't know enough hackers with time on their hands to teach me pro bono.

Quote:
I have the good fortune to love computers, but whether we like it or not, having computer skills is increasingly important.

Then I'm ******** doomed I guess, because I'm not likely to advance past the Windows without some serious pain. I was good with MS-DOS, but that's it.

people who study linux for IT work are either idiots with way too much time on their hands, or specifically learning it for the one or two jobs that are out there. Anyone who wants a job in the IT world should know windows, possibly macs depending on the company, and unix which linux is not. pretty much when you go to a job interview and they ask you if you know unix and you say I know linux you just pissed away that interview.

if you are really wanting to go that far with your computer career that you need to be working on things outside the windows and mac world, you are way above your typical need for knowledge. Anyone who is just needing to know how to use a computer to do their job will find that companies today do not bother making their users know unix type things unless there is a real need which considering modern windows and the Mac GUI is pretty much nil.

Maybe in some time something strange will happen and there will be a paradigm shift because linux actually becomes a commercial alternative and beats Mac and Windows. And maybe the Nazi party will win a US election sometime. I would not worry too much about it if I were you.
What distro would you recommend starting with for someone who grew up on Windows? This has quite possibly been already asked, my apologies if it has. I've been meaning to check out Linux for a while, and most of the software I make heavy use of is open-source and multi-platform, so I doubt a switch would be too difficult to make.
village midget
Linteia
I would LOVE to use Linux! Just as soon as Maxis/Blizzard/Adobe/Microsoft/every other program I use on a near daily basis has Linux support, I will be all over that. But for now, I really like my games, need Photoshop and have to be able to open and edit Word documents. I tried fiddling with it once to make it work, but it just wasn't worth it.

You should try Open Office for your word docs, it does everything Word does but it's more intuitive to use. Plus you can insert images into the text and lay them out/resize etc very easily (last time I tried to do this with Word it became a nightmare of fiddling about with formatting) you can save in word format (.doc) or export as pdf with one click of a button. It runs on all the operating systems I have ever heard of and it's free.

if it is for your own amusement, then do it. If you are going to try and learn something that will help you getting a job do not bother. There are certain industry standards and when you hand your boss a non-word formatted document which will either not open, or will display weird in word, your boss is going to fire your dumb a**.

As i told a friend of mine who mailed a magazine advertisement in correl draw to the magazine staff who promptly returned it to me, if you ever mail a graphics project to them in a ******** bullshit format like that i will cut your balls off and feed them to the cat. this is because though you may feel things like linux and it's programs are great, the world works on standards. If you do not work in their standards you simply do not work.

besides, most hiring people search resumes based on certain terms. When you put linux and open office on your resume they do not come up in a search. This is because companies are going to sit you down in front of a windows machine with their discounted licenses for MS office, and you will need to do your work on their system. they are not going to ask you what OS you prefer to work on, or the strange WP programs they would need to install and possibly pay for a random license for just to satisfy you.

if you want to work at home on odd OS or programs then that is your choice, though i would still advise you to get windows or Mac unless you want to spend lots of time doing your own support. However, if you want to work in what is basically a windows world you better damned well know windows too.

To the linux people who are going to b***h, you can complain about the horrors of windows until you are blue in the face. MS does something very important. They get their machines into the working world and they own the user end of it, except fopr possibly their graphic design people who should know MacOS. Linux is a non-commercial OS for home use by geeks. I am not saying there are no jobs out there for it, but even linux gurus will tell you if you want to work you better know the industry standard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff