Welcome to Gaia! ::

In light of the Tsunami, my dad and I were wondering what's the biggest natural disaster that ever happened, in terms of death tolls. Anyone with possiable suggestions?
Pompeii is the first thing that comes to my mind.. maybe comet killing off the dinosaurs?
The K-T extinction.

If you're talking abuot humans and recent history, I'm lead by the news to bleieve that would be the Tsunami.
yeah Pompeii was quite of a bad disater but then in my opinion i think that it was the tsunami... it was sad killing all of those people...
The Black Plague would be my guess.

It is "natural" but I dont think thats what you really want to know. You are talking Geographic or Atmostsphereic, right?
Well...if you wanna go biblical....the flooding of the earth was...pretty big.
Depends what you define as "biggest". Killed off most humans or had biggest destruction area-wise. I think human lifes-wise, the tsunami disaster is the biggest. Maybe also area-wise since it even killed people in Africa.
I think the one with the biggest death toll was when the yellow river in China burst its banks, way back in 1600 and something, or around the 1800s... I don't know. I wasn't paying attention in class.
I think the death toll was 900,000.

300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
the biggest disaster? it's krakatoa blowing up the first and seccond times...
those were bigger than anything pompei could've thrown up... i mean, the island used to be about the size of tasmainia...**the island krakatoa used to be on...** now the island is less than one scuare mile in area...
there was no summer for 4 years, and the explosion was heard 3 times arround the world...**the sound wave went arround the earth 3 times**
and there was a titlewave over 50 METERS tall!!!
There was a flood in the Huang He River in China, in 1931.
It killed over 3.7 million people.
In terms of mass-extinction, I think it would be the end of the Cambrian age when 90% of all life was destroyed. Pretty big if you ask me.

300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
MXC

wow
Male_gymnast
MXC

wow

Yeah, I'm looking in a book here called "The Top Ten of Evrything"
Aranea Dea
I think the one with the biggest death toll was when the yellow river in China burst its banks, way back in 1600 and something, or around the 1800s... I don't know. I wasn't paying attention in class.
I think the death toll was 900,000.

I believe you are correct here.

Of course, you do have to think about what to consider a natural disaster. Human lives isn't the only factor. You could say the Ice Age was the biggest natural disaster, but despite the havoc it caused to many animal species, it's not really considered a disaster.

Personally, I think Elton John was a fairly big natural disaster...
The human race being created sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces