Welcome to Gaia! ::

alolan's Husbando

Partying Sweetheart

Charmer and bully.
I don't mean to be, but there are instances when I am.

Dapper Reveler

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
HMS Thunder Child
Exoth XIII
The mask of the "social person," I suppose. I will pretend to not be disgusted by a person's babbling, because telling them to shut up will only get me into trouble.

When it won't get me into trouble, I will occasionally wear the mask of the snob, to put uninteresting people at a distance.

you could have summed your post up as:

"I wear the mask of a sycophantic elitist."

wink

That's not what sycophantic means, and when I'm acting 'elitist,' it's never when I'm pretending not to be bored by a person. They're two masks.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Good question... I feel like my natural social instincts are damaged, so what was once easy and intuitive is now foreign and unnatural. I feel like in trying to compensate my actions are intentionally eccentric and flamboyant at times.

Thus I'm trying to become more mellow and natural. If I haven't got something I can say right, I'll stay quiet and contemplate.

Magical Girl

Exoth XIII
HMS Thunder Child
Exoth XIII
The mask of the "social person," I suppose. I will pretend to not be disgusted by a person's babbling, because telling them to shut up will only get me into trouble.

When it won't get me into trouble, I will occasionally wear the mask of the snob, to put uninteresting people at a distance.

wink

That's not what sycophantic means, and when I'm acting 'elitist,' it's never when I'm pretending not to be bored by a person. They're two masks.
[Informative]

I simply assumed you only played social when it mattered, ie work relationships, hence sycophantic.

And yes, they are two masks. Or one mask with two facets. Most masks have many, since peoples' masks tend to be as complex as people themselves.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
HMS Thunder Child
Exoth XIII
HMS Thunder Child
Exoth XIII

wink

[Informative]

I simply assumed you only played social when it mattered, ie work relationships, hence sycophantic.

While I do that, that's not what a sycophant is. A sycophant is a kiss-a**, trying to use flattery to get ahead. Pretending like you're not bored isn't enough to constitute sucking up.

Quote:
And yes, they are two masks. Or one mask with two facets. Most masks have many, since peoples' masks tend to be as complex as people themselves.

In this case, only one is displayed at a time, though, so they can't really be said to be the same mask.

Magical Girl

Exoth XIII
HMS Thunder Child
Exoth XIII
HMS Thunder Child
Exoth XIII

wink

[Informative]

While I do that, that's not what a sycophant is. A sycophant is a kiss-a**, trying to use flattery to get ahead. Pretending like you're not bored isn't enough to constitute sucking up.

Quote:

In this case, only one is displayed at a time, though, so they can't really be said to be the same mask.
[Earnest]

Fair enough.

[Apologetic]

And apologies. I was being unnecessarily dickish.
I don't have just a single mask. I have many.

Each one has its role. One for family, two for friends (two groups of separate friends that differ from each other astronomically), one for strangers, and one for the internet.

These aren't really masks, of course. They're mostly automatic. The changes take place when my subconscious decides that it's safer to be someone else at the moment. It's self-defense. For the mind.

Quotable Lunatic

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Like most people with a long history of depression, I'm pretty great at making myself seem happy and healthy no matter what I'm actually feeling like.

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
I find this thread ironic, because once you inform someone of the mask, they are aware of it, and once they are aware of it is ceases to be useful.

your big bro's Significant Otter

Icy Rogue

This would've been so nice in the SocPsych forum. It's so dead over there. crying

I wear a most hideous mask that scares off most people. In this way, I hoped to attract only those who were most determined to be my friend--only the most loyal, the most tolerant, the best of humanity...

Instead I'm kind of lonely. What have I done.

Shirtless Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Timid 100
  • Dressed Up 200
aFlickerofLight
At some point in our lives, we wear masks. It’s very true, and if you doubt if you have every put a mask on, but believe me you have.

Masks aren’t exactly a bad thing; they can even be used to protect yourself, and even others. Which masks do I mean? The masks you can use at anytime and anyplace. Masks to even hide your identity, hide emotion, and hide truth. Unfortunately, I’ve grown into a master at this, and I never even meant to.

One would say, a mask could have been used to protect you from harming others. That’s probably where my mask has been transformed into, and I can’t take it off. I’ve been pretty skilled at vague answers, and small talk, allowing me to become a very interesting person when I’m obviously uncomfortable with the subject, mainly about myself.

I feel this mask which I can’t see to pull from myself has been pieced together over the years and I think the first piece started in 2009. ‘The incident’ happened and the world was there standing over me, me naked, weak, and vulnerable. This ‘incident’ was my almost death.
Researching what was wrong with me over the years, I had the notion of P.T.S.D. but I feel it wasn’t fitting right. I did come across an article last year about masks. And it’s all there, and I’ve done in some way or form.

1. The SEDUCTRESS: She “doesn’t feel good enough, loved enough, and doesn’t belong unless she is the object of someone’s attention.” She “throws out an energetic hook by being kind, loving, interested, and sexual…”

2. CHARMER: This person is a charismatic lover … master of manipulation … to win favor with the other.

3. PEOPLE PLEASER: These people survive by making others happy … but they overdo … to gain love.”

4. BULLY: Such people are “outwardly loud and pushy” and “use control, intimidation, and threats to get what they want.” They “spot the weak, prey on those who lack the courage to retaliate.” They “compensate for their deep feelings of inadequacy by conquering others. Deep down they are scared to death.”

5. QUIET SNAKE: Their “quiet demeanor is disarming and even makes you feel sorry for them because they are so repressed.” Underneath they “are conniving, manipulating, cunning and sneaky to win your trust.”

Other masks included are: too cool, martyr, nice guy, tough guy, abuser, eternal optimist, intellect, savior, depressive, depressive, jokester, entitled supporter, loner, victim, over-achiever.

I think the powers of books have been misused, and I’ve allowed them to be my vessel for an escape. Using my imagination to be my bestest friend and allowing my true friends pushed aside.
At some point, I need to remove my mask, allow the world to shine on my face, but even now, that scares me.

I think five years is too long to be alone. And all I’ve been wanting is to be forgotten, and I know that’s not how people should live.

This post isn't really any question, more of a self thinking module. I'm struggling to harvest myself in rebirth, and using my own false expressions as a mask, has almost become a security blanket.

What do you think?

I am definitely the people pleaser sweatdrop

Shirtless Werewolf

6,700 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Timid 100
  • Dressed Up 200
"We all wear masks, metaphorically speaking." xDDDD rofl rofl rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff