Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Wolf

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
best thing is that i managed to get black body dye at 4mil and now it's 7bil ayy

Lonely Browser

I remember when the 30,000 gold fairy wings were the coolest item I wanted them so bad
wheel barrels of money inflation. Gaia's old staff is long gone. They no longer have competent people, and are basically gutting what they can until its all gone.

7,650 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Junior 100
CuAnnan
CosmicCrater90
After not logging into Gaia after about a year, (and I had been a regular here since a year or two after the site started) I enjoyed the tight closeness of the community and that you could have about 1000 gold and look great. But now I look and a single item costs, what, 45,000,000 gold? seriously?

Yes.

I-Chiaroscuro-I
Why did the users inflate the price of items so high?

The value of gold decreased with finn's booty.
This is the exact opposite of inflation, it's deflation.

Would you mind going into more detail for me about this deflation/finn's booty stuff? I had been under the impression that everything got extremely expensive because of greedy people, like the original poster said. I have no idea what this finn's booty is or how the value of gold here decreased, but I'm very interested in learning.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
CaitieGetsCrunk
CuAnnan
CosmicCrater90
After not logging into Gaia after about a year, (and I had been a regular here since a year or two after the site started) I enjoyed the tight closeness of the community and that you could have about 1000 gold and look great. But now I look and a single item costs, what, 45,000,000 gold? seriously?

Yes.

I-Chiaroscuro-I

Would you mind going into more detail for me about this deflation/finn's booty stuff? I had been under the impression that everything got extremely expensive because of greedy people, like the original poster said. I have no idea what this finn's booty is or how the value of gold here decreased, but I'm very interested in learning.

You can buy gold with real money. Finn's booty is a set of events they keep running that allows you to buy even more gold. They keep running these events repeatedly devaluing the gold currency they have going on.

7,650 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Junior 100
CuAnnan
CaitieGetsCrunk
CuAnnan
CosmicCrater90

Yes.

I-Chiaroscuro-I

You can buy gold with real money. Finn's booty is a set of events they keep running that allows you to buy even more gold. They keep running these events repeatedly devaluing the gold currency they have going on.
Oooh I see. I also haven't been on gaia in quite some time so I had no idea, and even when I was on gaia I've never had an interest in paying out of pocket for pretend gold, lol. Thank you for explaining!
I started in 2004, left god knows when.

This is my first post in at least like 7 years.

Things done changed, at least all the emoticons are the same.
What's with all this gaia cash? I thought you had to use your own money to buy Gaia Cash. Now that is not so. Now I feel like I have to sit through endless amounts of commercials to get it because that would be faster than getting the Gaia gold. Because I have been gone for so long they erased my old account. Which is understandable but now I feel like I will never reach the level that I was once at. Sucks.
CaitieGetsCrunk

It's inflation, not deflation.

Inflation = Increase in price of goods or services (purchasing power of a unit of currency goes down)

Deflation = Decrease in price of goods or services (purchasing power of a unit of currency goes up)

Inflation and deflation are directly proportional to the amount of gold in circulation. Regardless of how greedy Gains may be, Gains cannot create money, so at best they can have an indirect effect on the relative circulation: rich Gains could hoard gold and cause deflation, or buy a bunch of stuff and cause inflation. Of course, inflation will cause prices to go up and encourage hoarding, while deflation will cause prices to go down and encourage buying, causing your normal market fluctuations.

Where does the bulk of inflation come from, then? Simple: the amount of gold in circulation is going to net increase over time if more gold is created than destroyed, and will net decrease over time if more gold is destroyed than created. For years Gaia had a relatively stable rate of inflation due to gold generated by users interacting with site features (polls, games, daily chance, etc.) outstripping gold destruction via gold shops, market sales, etc.

Up until gold generators, cash shop & monthly collectibles did not increase gold; they just presented a valuable item that could be sold for gold already in circulation. This changed when Gaia introduced gold generating items that were guaranteed to create large sums of gold with every purchase. Gaia did not change the rate at which gold was destroyed, which in resulted in a huge net increase of gold in circulation and forced a much more rapid rate of inflation.

The funny thing is, gold generators are the only item on the site where the very act of buying them causes them to lose value. A gold generator that makes a million gold is awesome when there's only a billion gold in circulation, but after a thousand of them are opened it is suddenly only worth half the value for the same price. Of course, Gaia responded to this issue by creating gold generators that made more and more money for the same or similar price, obsoleting the old ones and further driving inflation.

Sort of like in the real world, where banks can create money by issuing loans such as mortgages. If the banks were to do something stupid like, say, issue a bunch of subprime mortgages creating a bunch of money out of nowhere that people couldn't pay back, things would probably go well for everyone. Oh, except for that 2008 housing crisis thing. Ignore that. No worries, though, Gaia gold isn't debt so there won't be a debt crisis, there will just be hyperinflation until the site stratifies into the people who pay to play and the people who don't care about gold, at the cost of losing the customer base in the middle.

Mega Giver

CosmicCrater90

I'm not trying to start a rant but just pointing out that the Gaia that I used to know and love, (at least in the item aspect), is gone.

Why did the users inflate the price of items so high? A new user may feel the overwhelming need to beg their parents, or their own wallets for an avatar and a company that became a bit too greedy.

I'm not trying to knock this money concept because I understand people need to get paid and the company has bills ect... and I too have spent real money for premium items. But why couldn't Gaia regulate the amount of gold items can be sold at in the market place? Those poor new users!

sweatdrop

I agree

Healing Giver

12,750 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
I've been a member since 2005, but this avatar is from 2006. Anyways, I 100% agree. I was gone for around a year or so as well, and just recently came back to find that wads of crumpled newspaper are going for ridiculous amounts of gold in the marketplace. wtf?? Actually, trash items and bugs in general are bringing in a ton of gold now. and daily chance is dishing out at least 15-20k per page.

Gaia is pumping out waaaaaay too many cash shop items. It is hard to not confuse them, and keep them all straight. I miss when they would roll out a new cash shop item slowly, and only one or two at a time.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
What a friend told me to sell and you will need to save for is items in loyal's bazaar-you really want access to it people will pay a couple extra million than the store price-you can also hope someone sells an item from there for less than the store price and then resell for a little under double the store price.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff