• Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
Overlord Fang
chainmailleman
Overlord Fang
chainmailleman
Obesity is a choice, like smoking.

It is a choice to most people, but what about people who can't control it? I have a friend who has a very high metabolism and she tries so hard to gain weight but fails every time. But, no. She chooses to have a fast metabolism, huh?

Pfft. I wish I could choose to have a good metabolism.

She should stop eating salads and start eating McDonald's. Seriously. Ever wonder why people were never so fat before in human history? Maybe it due to the fact that we don't chase our dinner for miles, we order it through the drive-through.

She doesn't eat salads though. She eats a lot of unhealthy food but she never gets any results. She does mix a lot of fruits and veggies in her diet though to balance it out.

Most likely. I personally like catching my food. I feel that human kind has become extremely lazy with our meals. I mean, all we have to do is microwave it or drive to the nearest fast food place. Even cooking food is lazy compared to what our ancestors had to do.

Chainmailleman is obviously under the impression that all skinny people starve themselves and all overweight people are just lazy over eaters. He doesn't take into consideration that there is a gray area. People with hyperactive thyroid disease lose weight without even trying, because their thyroid is in overdrive. People with hypoactive thyroid disease gain weight, because their thyroid was either removed, treated with radiation (causing the organ to be either partially or completely killed), or is simply not peforming as it should which causes their calories to burn a lot slower than the average person's. He keeps repeating the same 'calories in, calories out' thing, but he's not taking into consideration that some people's bodies are not burning the average amount of calories that are burned by the average person's body. That's why people with thyroid disease and diseases like PCOS have trouble losing weight despite controlling their caloric intake and exercising on a regular basis.

I, myself, have experienced both extremes of the gray area. I developed hyperthyroid which caused me to get sickly thin no matter how much I ate. When I was diagnosed, I gained weight very fast from the medicine (methimazole) they put me on, and once I figured out I should be eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight, the most I could do was just maintain my weight (I was in the 150-155 range then). Once I got my RAI treatment done and put on the right dosage of my new meds to do the job of my thyroid (levothyroxine), I was able to lose and maintain a healthy weight by continuing to eat healthy, control my calories, and exercise regularly. All in all, I've always had a pretty healthy lifestyle, but for a while, my weight was beyond my control because an organ in my body was pretty much betraying me (and it wasn't just my weight that was affected either. I suffered from insomnia, excessive sweating, heart palpitations, shakey hands, shortness of breath, etc).

The medicine I take now only serves to replace my thyroid. It is not a weight loss drug. It's been a lot easier to lose and maintain a healthy weight with it, because my body now functions with a thyroid replacement. It's not a magical weight loss solution. I can still gain weight if I eat too much or don't exercise regularly. I'm still accountable for my habits. It's just now, my weight gain or loss matches up to my lifestyle a lot better.

Before the medicine, unless I starved myself, I wasn't going to be losing any weight.

EMT, Ex-Army medic. I know what I'm talking about.
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
Overlord Fang
chainmailleman
Overlord Fang
chainmailleman
Obesity is a choice, like smoking.

It is a choice to most people, but what about people who can't control it? I have a friend who has a very high metabolism and she tries so hard to gain weight but fails every time. But, no. She chooses to have a fast metabolism, huh?

Pfft. I wish I could choose to have a good metabolism.

She should stop eating salads and start eating McDonald's. Seriously. Ever wonder why people were never so fat before in human history? Maybe it due to the fact that we don't chase our dinner for miles, we order it through the drive-through.

She doesn't eat salads though. She eats a lot of unhealthy food but she never gets any results. She does mix a lot of fruits and veggies in her diet though to balance it out.

Most likely. I personally like catching my food. I feel that human kind has become extremely lazy with our meals. I mean, all we have to do is microwave it or drive to the nearest fast food place. Even cooking food is lazy compared to what our ancestors had to do.

Chainmailleman is obviously under the impression that all skinny people starve themselves and all overweight people are just lazy over eaters. He doesn't take into consideration that there is a gray area. People with hyperactive thyroid disease lose weight without even trying, because their thyroid is in overdrive. People with hypoactive thyroid disease gain weight, because their thyroid was either removed, treated with radiation (causing the organ to be either partially or completely killed), or is simply not peforming as it should which causes their calories to burn a lot slower than the average person's. He keeps repeating the same 'calories in, calories out' thing, but he's not taking into consideration that some people's bodies are not burning the average amount of calories that are burned by the average person's body. That's why people with thyroid disease and diseases like PCOS have trouble losing weight despite controlling their caloric intake and exercising on a regular basis.

I, myself, have experienced both extremes of the gray area. I developed hyperthyroid which caused me to get sickly thin no matter how much I ate. When I was diagnosed, I gained weight very fast from the medicine (methimazole) they put me on, and once I figured out I should be eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight, the most I could do was just maintain my weight (I was in the 150-155 range then). Once I got my RAI treatment done and put on the right dosage of my new meds to do the job of my thyroid (levothyroxine), I was able to lose and maintain a healthy weight by continuing to eat healthy, control my calories, and exercise regularly. All in all, I've always had a pretty healthy lifestyle, but for a while, my weight was beyond my control because an organ in my body was pretty much betraying me (and it wasn't just my weight that was affected either. I suffered from insomnia, excessive sweating, heart palpitations, shakey hands, shortness of breath, etc).

The medicine I take now only serves to replace my thyroid. It is not a weight loss drug. It's been a lot easier to lose and maintain a healthy weight with it, because my body now functions with a thyroid replacement. It's not a magical weight loss solution. I can still gain weight if I eat too much or don't exercise regularly. I'm still accountable for my habits. It's just now, my weight gain or loss matches up to my lifestyle a lot better.

Before the medicine, unless I starved myself, I wasn't going to be losing any weight.

...but obviously not an endocrinologist.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
Overlord Fang
chainmailleman

I don't know how to put this in a way you will understand. Thyroid is responsible for growth and hormones, not nutrient absorption/storage via enzymes secreted in the digestive tract. You should probably look over the side effects of the "meds" you are taking. Unstable weight is probably listed.
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
Overlord Fang
chainmailleman

I don't know how to put this in a way you will understand. Thyroid is responsible for growth and hormones, not nutrient absorption/storage via enzymes secreted in the digestive tract. You should probably look over the side effects of the "meds" you are taking. Unstable weight is probably listed.

You're reading comprehension is obviously poor. I am not overweight. My levothyroxine does the job of my thyroid so I can maintain and lose as long as I keep my healthy lifestyle. Without it, my metabolism would be low because I have no thyroid.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono

You're reading comprehension is obviously poor. I am not overweight. My levothyroxine does the job of my thyroid so I can maintain and lose as long as I keep my healthy lifestyle. Without it, my metabolism would be low because I have no thyroid.

You are beyond retarded. I give you the floor as I just cannot win with you.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
To save face for myself as I am an egotistical b*****d, if you look here you will see the listed side effects to Levoxyl

Quote:

headache;
sleep problems (insomnia);
nervous or irritable feeling;
fever, hot flashes, sweating;
changes in your menstrual periods;
appetite changes, weight changes;

*edit HERE LET ME BOLD THE GOOD STUFF!
chainmailleman
To save face for myself as I am an egotistical b*****d, if you look here you will see the listed side effects to Levoxyl

Quote:

headache;

I'm not on levoxyl, dumbass.
chainmailleman

Quote:

headache;

How about looking up information in the right medicine along with hypo and hyperactive thyroid, radioactive iodine treatment, and how all of that affects metabolism?

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman

Quote:

headache;

I'm the dumbass? Really? Do you even know what you are arguing when it comes to pharmaceutical names? Not to mention you admitted in the post previous that you do take Levoxyl.

You obviously have room temperature IQ....
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman

Quote:

headache;

I'm the dumbass? Really? Do you even know what you are arguing when it comes to pharmaceutical names? Not to mention you admitted in the post previous that you do take Levoxyl.

Learn to read. I said I take levothyroxine, dumbass. I didn't admit to anything.

Here is a link to educate you about the thyroid, hyperthyroidism, and hypothyroid. I had hyperthyroid first, got radioactive iodine treatment to fix it, and went into hypothyroid as a result. I am now taking...wait for it...LEVOTHYROXINE so my body can function without a properly working thyroid.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman

Quote:

headache;

Learn to read. I said I take levothyroxine, dumbass. I didn't admit to anything.

Here is a link to educate you about the thyroid, hyperthyroidism, and hypothyroid. I had hyperthyroid first, got radioactive iodine treatment to fix it, and went into hypothyroid as a result. I am now taking...wait for it...LEVOTHYROXINE so my body can function without a properly working thyroid.

Levoxyl (levothyroxine sodium)

You = retarded
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman

Quote:

headache;

You = retarded

You're going to have to find a better insult than "retarded," since it's not an insult to me at all.
I was mistaken about the shorter name "levoxyl." You, however, refused to read up on hypo and hyperthyroid. Those symptoms only occur if someone is given too big of a dose or they are having an allergic reaction. Since you are too lazy to read what I've given you, I'm going to have to assume that the military will hire anyone to be an EMT since you can't even understand the thyroid's role in body metabolism.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono

You = retarded

You're going to have to find a better insult than "retarded," since it's not an insult to me at all.
I was mistaken about the shorter name "levoxyl." You, however, refused to read up on hypo and hyperthyroid. Those symptoms only occur if someone is given too big of a dose or they are having an allergic reaction. Since you are too lazy to read what I've given you, I'm going to have to assume that the military will hire anyone to be an EMT since you can't even understand the thyroid's role in body metabolism.

I can see why you take it as a compliment.

If I were too lazy to read, why did I push Levoxyl being your medication? Because I read the data! You on the other hand list sources without reading them. Otherwise you would not have made the mistake of making yourself look stupid. I am not the one who refuses to read. Please quit being a typical woman and accept some responsibility in your life.
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman
Robotic lalanono
chainmailleman

You = retarded

I can see why you take it as a compliment.

If I were too lazy to read, why did I push Levoxyl being your medication? Because I read the data! You on the other hand list sources without reading them. Otherwise you would not have made the mistake of making yourself look stupid. I am not the one who refuses to read. Please quit being a typical woman and accept some responsibility in your life.

I'm pretty sure you are a troll now and probably lying about your EMT experience, but I'll humor you.

Symptoms of hyperthyroid (what I had first):

Nervousness and irritability.
Increased resting heart rate, which causes heart palpitations.
Heat intolerance and increased sweating.
Tremors.
Weight loss with increase in appetite.
Frequent bowel movements.
Thyroid enlargement causing a lump in the neck.

Symptoms of hypothyroid (what I now have):

Fatigue
Increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Dry skin
Unexplained weight gain
Puffy face
Hoarseness
Muscle weakness
Elevated blood cholesterol level
Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
Thinning hair
Slowed heart rate
Depression
Impaired memory

And since you obviously cherry picked (if you even read the links I gave you at all), I'm going to be nice and copy and paste a little something for you from the link talking about how levothyroxine helps treat hypothyroidism:
Quote:

Without this hormone, the body cannot function properly, resulting in: poor growth; slow speech; lack of energy; weight gain; hair loss; dry, thick skin; and increased sensitivity to cold.

All of this information can be found in the links I gave you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff