Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Prophet

Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Exoth XIII

What I mean is, when antisocials DO decide to try and cross class divides, they have the tenacity necessary to make that jump. The wealthy don't care about people jumping into the middle class, but they don't like people jumping the gap to their own.
You make the wealthy sound like evil central planners. If more people became rich wouldn't that be horrible for the economy?

Isn't that the only thing that drives the economy?
No, what drives the economy is conspicuous consumption and individuals who can't make a trade-off because they need that new status symbol.

But if more people become rich then everyone gets poorer as a direct result. That's growth.
That's the antirhesis of growth! People will spend more money on limited luxury goods and they will lose the incentive to work.
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Exoth XIII

What I mean is, when antisocials DO decide to try and cross class divides, they have the tenacity necessary to make that jump. The wealthy don't care about people jumping into the middle class, but they don't like people jumping the gap to their own.
You make the wealthy sound like evil central planners. If more people became rich wouldn't that be horrible for the economy?

No, what drives the economy is conspicuous consumption and individuals who can't make a trade-off because they need that new status symbol.

But if more people become rich then everyone gets poorer as a direct result. That's growth.
That's the antirhesis of growth! People will spend more money on limited luxury goods and they will lose the incentive to work.

Thank you.

Hilarious Prophet

Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan

Thank you.
Why do you thank me?
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan

Thank you.
Why do you thank me?

Oh I'm sorry. I just showed how the wealthy don't need to be central planners in order to make the rational decision to work against people "bridging the gap".
I strongly second the idea of getting more free or low-cost mental health services to the ghetto.

That being said, its likely to never happen.

Allow me to illustrate my point with a small narrative...

I am in law school right now. I am one of two hispanic students in my entire section of 65 (not counting our entire class). In our criminal justice class, we were discussing the distinction between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. One of the classic defenses to any kind of criminal homicide is self-defense.

One of the students in class is a former principal of a school in a low-income area. Good guy, has a kid, wife,whole deal. Somehow or another, he and I were talking about the idea of self-defense and how this factors in to manslaughter. He is vehemently against the idea of kids fighting in schools (As it breeds a mindset that is vulnerable to the 'heat of passion'), and, in discussion, reduced these conflicts to a machismo notion.

I told him he was being too dismissive. I said to him that it is much more than masculinity that's on the line, its survival. If a kid gets beat up and he does nothing back, he has told everyone else who witnessed that that they can also beat him up.

I say this because within the intelligencia that purports, often with pure intentions to serve low-income communities, there is a gross under-estimation of the problems there. These problems really do need some psychological help, but those who make decisions (legislators, teachers, principals, etc.) do not even get what's going on. They want to reduce and simply to things which they learned as a freshman at University. To quote one of my favorite lines from any film, "Boyz in the Hood"; Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood.

Until people actually get, really get, the problems that exist in the hood, the problem can't even begin to be solved.

Hilarious Prophet

Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan

Thank you.
Why do you thank me?

Oh I'm sorry. I just showed how the wealthy don't need to be central planners in order to make the rational decision to work against people "bridging the gap".
I am not against this gap entirely as it appears to be a brilliant source of marketing potential. Dividing people between groups allows business to cater to certain groups and make a steady source of income. My example being the tween demographic which was invented out of thin air.

Hilarious Prophet

Riviera de la Mancha

I say this because within the intelligencia that purports, often with pure intentions to serve low-income communities, there is a gross under-estimation of the problems there. These problems really do need some psychological help, but those who make decisions (legislators, teachers, principals, etc.) do not even get what's going on. They want to reduce and simply to things which they learned as a freshman at University. To quote one of my favorite lines from any film, "Boyz in the Hood"; Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood.

Until people actually get, really get, the problems that exist in the hood, the problem can't even begin to be solved.
Which demographics tend to populate low income communities?

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Jacque De Molay
Exoth XIII

Technically no. What you're thinking of is inflation, in which EVERYONE gets more money, which does nothing about the class gap. Because there's more money in the system, the value of the dollar goes down, although I'd argue as to whether that affects the economy at all, because although dollars are worth less, people have proportionally more of them. (As long as inflation stays at a managable rate, of course.)

No, what I'm talking about is the rich having less money, and the lower and middle classes having more. Because neither of them are as likely to hoard large quantities of money or valuable goods, less value is removed from the economy, which is actually a good thing. (Rich people frequently don't spend all their money on status symbols, because, bear in mind, a gigantic sum of money is in itself a status symbol to them.)

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan
Jacque De Molay
Sarah Louise Kerrigan

Thank you.
Why do you thank me?

I am not against this gap entirely as it appears to be a brilliant source of marketing potential. Dividing people between groups allows business to cater to certain groups and make a steady source of income. My example being the tween demographic which was invented out of thin air.
That's a bad example. Reducing the class gap would raise the average income of the middle class. Most businesses market for the middle class, because they have some spending money, and they're not as few as the rich.

Fanatical Zealot

Hood life sucks.

Try as you might, the immortality of your "rep" slips away and all your left with is pain.
Exoth XIII
What they need isn't therapy. What they need is a role model worth emulating.
They need less of this:

and more of this:
[******** song 2; at least song 1 isn't trying to be holier than thou.
bluebloodblueblood
Are you telling me Blacks are really mentally sick?
That this is why they live in ghetto's?
Why, this is what the nazies would say about the üntermensch,
and gassed them for therapy.
Is this what you are aiming for?
I'm saying that the environment of ghettos and the culture surrounding them is strongly enforcing the mental affliction of Dissocial Personality Disorder that is pandemic to the area. It doesn't matter if your color, if you live in that culture for long enough it will ******** you up.

I am also not implying that this is the only reason blacks are in ghettos, although in my opinion, it is a strong factor in keeping those already in them there.

And really, the culture isn't even just a poverty thing. You could probably do some research and realize that the biggest reason that this vicious cycle even began was because of things like lynchings and ineffective policing enforcing popular opinions that the government is out to get you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff