Welcome to Gaia! ::

Great Peacemaker
tuspel
Great Peacemaker
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

I know what communication is used for, I dumb down my speech when I'm around people from areas like you mention you're from. I refuse to adopt such a stupid way of speaking. Dialects are one thing, butchering the English language is another thing entirely. To answer your question, I live in a part of society that does not actively butcher the English language. We speak in full sentences and don't sound like ghetto trash.

speaking a different dialect is not butchering a language.
i think you don't fully understand how language works

We're talking about language 'by the book', the way you are taught to spell and write. With grammar and whatnot. At least, that's what I'm talking about. I speak correctly, in that manner. I don't like to associate myself with those that don't talk this way, most of the time. I find it to be lazy and uninteresting. I always assume they don't think about the things that I do, or don't care about the same things. In which case, I'm done hanging out with them because we don't have common interests, or a common ground.

Do you spell words properly when you speak?
I mean, I see plenty of errors in this post. Why is there a common between "correctly" and "in that manner", and likewise for between "don't talk this way" and "most of the time". Considering you've read so much, you think you would know how to use punctuation correction.
Then you have "With grammar and whatnot" standing alone as sentence. That is a prepositional phrase.
You would have been lucky to get a C- with that kind of writing in my grade 6 English class.
That wouldn't have passed in high school.

Learn actual "by the book" English before calling other people who don't speak "by the book" English "lazy and uninteresting".

Thank you! I'm actually pretty glad you corrected me. I love learning from my mistakes. This is what I'm talking about, really.

So you're going to stop hating on people for speaking differently now?

Frozen Fairy

Lucky~9~Lives
icicle weapon
Math IS NOT language.

Formal language

The word "language" in this is not the same as the "language" I am talking about.
This is an example of polysemy, when one word has many similar yet different meanings.
"Get" and "keep" are good examples of this.
Take the word "Get" in the following sentences.

He got a tea at the cafe.
He got hit by a car.
He got 95% on his math test.
He got to the store by car.
He got angry.

Same word, yet each meaning is slightly different.

Frozen Fairy

Nonesuch Solo
icicle weapon
Math IS NOT language.
4+4=8 in every language.

¬[∀x ∈ A, P(x)] ⇔ ∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x)

Math has its own linguistic rules, to be sure.

Math and language both have syntax, but having one thing in common does not make them equivalent.
Not to mention math and language serve completely different functions.
I think people should use certain dialects in context. I can speak standard English and the dialect of where I'm from. But I would use standard English in a professional setting whereas I would only use my dialect with my family and friends from back home. Plus in the US, they'd never understand my Caribbean dialect anyway. It would be like speaking a completely different language.

Frozen Fairy

Nonesuch Solo
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
I'm sorry, but if you form incomplete sentences when you speak or cut out necessary words in a sentence I'm going to assume that you're an idiot. Talking like you're from the ghetto isn't acceptable in civilized society, sorry.

Ghetto Speak uses full sentences. Also, I am from a shitty, white trash area. I speak their dialect fluently. I also speak a Standard Dialect. But when I'm angry I will go back to my main dialect. They have their place. As for writing, this "proper" English is only for academic writing, not for talking. I don't see a point in going to an area where the main dialect is Ghetto Speak and going out of your way to speak some academic version of English. You fail at Language when people don't understand what you're saying.
I also speak some pidgin dialects of English which come in handy for talking with non-fluent speakers of English.
Purpose of Language is to communicate, not to show off how smart you are with what dialect you speak.
And a civilized society? What world do you live in?

"Who dat?" is not a complete sentence. "Who dat is?" is a complete sentence even if the grammar doesn't match mine. You hear both around here.

For what it's worth, I could go into almost any part of the country where a different dialect of English is spoken and still be understood, for the most part. (I mean, nobody around here calls a water fountain a "bubbler," but if they're confused I just call it a water fountain and we're clear as day.) It will certainly be understood that I'm not "from around there," but they won't be sitting there completely confused at the dialect I'm using.

I can't always say the same if our roles were reversed.

The copula (to be) actually doesn't exist in a lot of languages. It is really a meaningless word. That it would disappear in one or more dialects of English is not surprising at all.
Inner City English is actually on its way from being a dialect to its own language. But speaking another language does not make one an idiot. At one point, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian were all one language, and then different dialects evolved so differently we ended up with 3 languages. French is in that same family, and it is now so completely different from other Italic languages, that it's hard to believe that at one point, it was a different dialect of Latin.

The word "night" 500 years ago was pronounced /nɪxt/, more similar to the German word "nacht" than the current pronunciation of night.
Then something happened to English that deleted /x/ from our sound inventory. In some dialects the sound became silent, in a few it became /f/, and a few of the pronounciations from that dialect's sound change got pushed into the Standard dialect, giving us words like "enough" and "cough".
In the dialects that deleted the sound, the preceding vowel would lenghthen to take its place.
So the word "night" went from /niːxt/xt/ to /niːxt/.
Then another sound change happened to English moving all the vowels around. This was known as the Great Vowel Shift.
Then, at the beginning of this sound change, the word "night" went from /niːxt/ to /neɪt/.
Then it moved from /neɪt/ to /nʌɪt/, which is how the word "night" is pronounced in Canadian English.
It eventually went from /nʌɪt/ to /nɑɪt/, which is the Standard pronunciation.
Then in Australian and Texan English it is different.

Also, in English 600 years ago, the word order was Subject-Object-Verb, and now it's Subject-Verb-Object.

Frozen Fairy

Nonesuch Solo
icicle weapon
Nonesuch Solo
Chahklet
Keltoi Samurai
Chahklet
Not only do I have a southern accent, but I have the ability to sound pretty ghetto too when needed. sweatdrop

If by "ghetto," you mean AAVE, then there's a reason for being easily able to go between the two.
They are pretty closely related, for reasons that are pretty obvious when you take a look at some of the darker aspects of American history.
Ebonics? Is that what it's called now?

Ebonics is now called African American Vernacular English (AAVE).

For someone who grew up speaking a much more "proper" form of English, trying to listen to little children who are just learning to talk in families that speak AAVE is torture. I feel so sad I can't understand a word the little dears say.

As they grow, a lot of folks who speak AAVE at home learn to code-shift to a more formal dialect when they're around white people and figures of authority.

Are you saying their dialect is not proper?

Just because you can't understand them, doesn't mean it's because they're speaking garbage language.
That's like saying anyone who doesn't speak the same language as you is an idiot.

I'm honestly surprised that's what you got from what I said.

There is a reason I put quotation marks around the word "proper." It's a dialect most people would call "proper," "correct," and "right," even though I myself hesitate to use those terms in any seriousness.

I also purposefully used the proper name for the dialect (AAVE) rather than calling it "ghetto talk" or "ebonics" or "Black slang" or something. (I don't know, I'm bad at imagining insulting labels.)

I didn't say most of the stuff you're arguing against. Calm down there, SJW.
]

I don't find it torture listening to non-standard dialects.
I enjoy it. Maybe because I understand that it's a natural process of language, and has nothing to do with "intelligence"

Frozen Fairy

Great Peacemaker
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
I'm sorry, but if you form incomplete sentences when you speak or cut out necessary words in a sentence I'm going to assume that you're an idiot. Talking like you're from the ghetto isn't acceptable in civilized society, sorry.

Ghetto Speak uses full sentences. Also, I am from a shitty, white trash area. I speak their dialect fluently. I also speak a Standard Dialect. But when I'm angry I will go back to my main dialect. They have their place. As for writing, this "proper" English is only for academic writing, not for talking. I don't see a point in going to an area where the main dialect is Ghetto Speak and going out of your way to speak some academic version of English. You fail at Language when people don't understand what you're saying.
I also speak some pidgin dialects of English which come in handy for talking with non-fluent speakers of English.
Purpose of Language is to communicate, not to show off how smart you are with what dialect you speak.

I know what communication is used for, I dumb down my speech when I'm around people from areas like you mention you're from. I refuse to adopt such a stupid way of speaking. Dialects are one thing, butchering the English language is another thing entirely. To answer your question, I live in a part of society that does not actively butcher the English language. We speak in full sentences and don't sound like ghetto trash.

We're talking about language 'by the book', the way you are taught to spell and write. With grammar and whatnot. At least, that's what I'm talking about. I speak correctly, in that manner. I don't like to associate myself with those that don't talk this way, most of the time. I find it to be lazy and uninteresting. I always assume they don't think about the things that I do, or don't care about the same things. In which case, I'm done hanging out with them because we don't have common interests, or a common ground.

Oh, you don't talk like them, because you are better than that, and don't want to associate with lowlifes who don't know how to speak English "by the book", but you yourself don't know how to use a comma. I actually cringed reading that, because in my mind I was putting pauses in places that didn't make sense.
Don't preach what you don't live.

Frozen Fairy

psycheduck
icicle weapon

You're comparing apples to oranges.
There is no PROPER way to speak.
I speak 3 dialects of English, write 2 dialects, plus I understand 2 dialects of spoken French, and I know a French/English blending languages.
There is no proper way to talk.
That is just arrogant and condescending to say stuff like that.
Math IS NOT language.
Science is NOT language.
You cannot compare stuff like that.
4+4=8 in every language.
But "I'm hungry" and "J'ai faim" describe the same thing in different languages except are not said nearly the same, and even if you translated that word for word from French to English, they don't even use the same verb in it.
It makes me think you've never been outside of one tiny area to not have experienced multiple dialects of the same language.
Australians and Americans don't talk anything alike. Is one of them speaking improperly?
You know, Americans don't even pronounce the vowels the same as the Brits. For Americans the words "caught" and "cot" are pronounce the same. They're not pronounced the same in British.
In Canadian English, the I is pronouned differently in the words Writer and Rider, but in America they're pronounced the same.
In New England and Britain, R's tend to be deleted in Codas. Canadian English doesn't do this.
Australian vowels are all over the place compared to any other dialect of English.
In Australia and Britain they say, "Fancy a pint?"and in American and Canada this would be, "Wanna go out for a beer?" Neither is wrong.

I had a lot of fun creating the false perception that I believed there is such a thing as proper speech without ever explicitly saying so. Fallacious logic is the trademark of someone who's just ruffling your feathers. Learn to look out for it in the future, you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort.

I know enough about fallacious logic, that if I am screwing with someone online, I'm not going to come out and admit it.
Seems like you don't want to admit you lost this argument.

Frozen Fairy

The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

I don't think you understand that I'm not talking about dialects, at least not true ones that is. I'm going to get a bit racist here, but have you ever listened/seen to a black person from an inner city area speak or type? Go listen to some sometime, youtube it or something. They have a habit of completely deleting necessary words in their sentences. I have no issues with the dialects from up north or the south, because at least those are grammatically correct.

Also no, this isn't a race issue I have. I used the inner city black communities as an example merely because I've never heard anyone from another group speak like that.

What's your idea of a "necessary" word?
If it's something like "the" or "is", those are not unnecessary words.
If I were to talk deleting unnecessary words, my sentences would not make sense.
Let me rewrite that sentence deleting unnecessary words:
"F'I were talk delete unnecessary word, my sentences would not make sense."
Let me rewrite it deleting necessary words so you can see the difference.
"I to talk unnecessary, my not make sense."
tuspel
The Ice Dervish
tuspel
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

I don't think you understand that I'm not talking about dialects, at least not true ones that is. I'm going to get a bit racist here, but have you ever listened/seen to a black person from an inner city area speak or type? Go listen to some sometime, youtube it or something. They have a habit of completely deleting necessary words in their sentences. I have no issues with the dialects from up north or the south, because at least those are grammatically correct.

Also no, this isn't a race issue I have. I used the inner city black communities as an example merely because I've never heard anyone from another group speak like that.

You're right. That's not racist at all. You are classist. You hate poor people, which really isn't any better than being a racist.
They do not delete "necessary" words. Those words are not "necessary" in their dialect. You just can't understand that dialect of English.
I will not lie. I cannot understand South African English. That is not because people in South Africa do not know how to talk. It is because I have not been exposed to the dialect enough to understand it easily.

Nope, not even classist. I dislike people who have no respect for the English language. What is and isnt proper English is set in stone, the words deleted in ghetto speak are necessary to create proper sentences. Learn what a proper sentence is and what it requires, you'll soon see that ghetto speak royally ******** it up.

That ghetto speak is the proper English where they are.
Languages do not get "respect" in the way you've mentioned. "Respecting" a language is when you make sure to document it before it dies. Ghetto speak has proper sentences. "Us guys gone to the store" is a proper sentence. It contains a NP(us guys) and a verb(gone). It also has a prepositional phrase, although that is not needed for a proper sentence. The syntax is correct for English SVO. This is merely a different dialect of the same language. There is no one "proper" way to speak.
You are just unable to wrap you head around the idea that other people speak differently than you.
Arabic, being a wide-spread language, also has multiple dialects. Not even being a speaker of Arabic, I am able to distinguish between when someone is speaking the Lebanese dialect as opposed to the Egyptian dialect. You don't here Arabic speaking people being idiots over dialect you hear English speakers doing it.
Britain has more dialects of English than everywhere else in the world combined.
Sometimes, dialects evolve to be separate dialects. Mandarin and Cantonese were at one point different dialects of the same language. Likewise, how do you think we got French, Italian, and Spanish all from Latin.
Languages themselves evolve all the time.
Have you ever read French.

Take the sentences:
Je mange (I eat)
Tu manges (you (sng) eat.
Il mange (he eats)
Ils mangent (they eat)
Each one of those forms of the verb manger(to eat) is pronounced exactly the same, even though there are 3 spellings of it up there.
Do you think some idiot wrote a French dictionary saying, "Let's put a random silent "nt" on the end of the 3rd person plural?"
No, that did not happen.
At one point, those letters were pronounced.

So if you were to say now, that the proper French would be that spoken 500 years ago, then you would be pronouncing all these silent letters and sound like an idiot.

Languages evolve and change. This is how we get dialects and variances. There is no one "proper" way to speak a language.

Americans do not speak like British people.
"O" in words like rot, knot, blob, in America in pronounced the same as the "AW" and "AU" sound in words like saw, taught, law. In Brtian, those are two separate distinct sounds.
Is either America or Britian wrong? No. They speak different dialects of the same language.

Proper English is what you write down on paper, I'm not talking about pronunciations, I'm talking about sentence structure. Don't see how the French lesson was relevant.

My entire point is that if you go into a setting expecting to be looked at as intelligent and educated when you speak like that is ridiculous. How many high end businessmen sound like they just crawled out of the ghetto? How many people who run talk shows or news stations have a southern accent? Or ghetto? Or anything other than the standard? There is a standard educated way of speaking in America, you hear it most on talk shows and news stations. Why is this the standard? Because it's the easiest to understand and it most closely follows the basic s**t you learned in English class back in grade school.

Point being, if you want to not be judged by the way you speak then you better conform how it sounds. You can't change the color of your skin, so racism is wrong. You can't change your sexual orientation, so hating gay people is wrong. You can't change your sex, so sexism is wrong. You can change the way you speak, and therefor it is reasonable to expect anyone who wants to be taken seriously by academic America to conform their voice and speaking mannerisms as much as they can to what is considered normal. I'm sorry, you may see and think it's wrong that others judge people by how they look and sound, but that's what human's do. We categorize things by what we see, we can get past skin color and such since that's just well, skin color... but if you walk into a room full of people who speak the main American dialect and you start talking really loud and can't complete your sentences the normal way then people aren't going to assume that you're smart. They're going to assume you're incapable of communicating with anyone other than the people they assume rolled out of the gutter with you.
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

If I were to talk deleting unnecessary words, my sentences would not make sense.

I feel like I need to post videos to get my point across:

This one is decent, has normal speaking reporter and not so normal speaking people as well:

Another good one, this one being quite funny at that lol:

Frozen Fairy

The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

This one is decent, has normal speaking reporter and not so normal speaking people as well:

I'd hate to see you in my hometown.
You can't understand their dialect. That does not mean they don't know how to talk.

Liberal Smoker

icicle weapon
Great Peacemaker
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

Oh, you don't talk like them, because you are better than that, and don't want to associate with lowlifes who don't know how to speak English "by the book", but you yourself don't know how to use a comma. I actually cringed reading that, because in my mind I was putting pauses in places that didn't make sense.
Don't preach what you don't live.

What I'm talking about is the want to speak correctly. I never said that I was perfect. It's okay that people aren't perfect. The sort of people that I don't want to be around are those that settle with what they are. I understand that you're getting frustrated though so I'll just leave it at that. Have a good day!
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

You can't understand their dialect. That does not mean they don't know how to talk.

Correction, they don't know how to speak correctly. This entire thread is about discrimination, not about who speaks correctly anyway. Point being that there is an accepted way of speaking in America for academics and generally intelligent people. You see it on talk shows and such. If you don't want to be seen as ghetto trash don't talk like you're ghetto trash among people who speak normally. It's that simple.

Frozen Fairy

The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish
icicle weapon
The Ice Dervish

Correction, they don't know how to speak correctly. This entire thread is about discrimination, not about who speaks correctly anyway. Point being that there is an accepted way of speaking in America for academics and generally intelligent people. You see it on talk shows and such. If you don't want to be seen as ghetto trash don't talk like you're ghetto trash among people who speak normally. It's that simple.

There is no correct way to speak. If you grow up in a ghetto, that's how you will learn how to talk regardless of how intelligent you are.
You can't speak a language you've not been exposed to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff