Welcome to Gaia! ::

In the third novel of the manga Battle Angel Alita, the main character (Alita) expresses the desire, as a fighter, to be like "a razor's edge of purest steel." Her motorball coach, Esdoc, inwardly chastizes her for her lack of metallurgical knowledge: pure steel is relatively weak, and impurities must be introduced into the mixture to properly strengthen the metal. In his words, "the impurities give the steel life."

There is an obvious implication about the nature of purity as a whole here: nothing that is totally pure, or wholly innocent, can exist unsullied and remain intact. In fact, the implication is that purity is not so much a virtue as a weakness. However, to properly categorize that implication, we must analyze both the connotations of the term "purity" and the categories of purity that apply to the situation.

Purity has several different definitions: a lack of sin, lack of experience, a lack of any taint or variable factors. The further connotations are those of intensity, benevolence and/or innocence. But how, then, can these be negative factors?

The three primary aspects of man to which one would usually apply this quandry are the body, the mind and the soul. "Purity" of the body usually refers to maintaining one's body in as wholesome and untainted a state as possible, without sullying factors such as drugs or bad food. In the universe of Battle Angel Alita, however, such things are impossible: half of the characters, including and especially Alita herself, are cybernetic in nature, having much or all of their bodies replaced by mechanical components. Moreover, the environment of the Scrapyard and the surrounding world is often inhospitable with pollution; by definition, purity of the body is impossible in Alita's world. Still, while it is impossible to avoid physical taint, such things cannot always be taken as positive influences either: everything from drug abuse to nanotechnological parasitism ravages the book's characters. So the quandry can hardly apply to the body.

What, then, of the mind? One can try to argue things like psychological or sociological impurity; however, the mind thrives on input, and mankind is inherently a social animal. The influence of life experiences, outside ideas and social relationships is both inevitable and necessary for one to be a complete, healthy human being. Likewise, purity of identity is impossible because these outside factors have an immense effect on the shaping of one's personality and identity; even Alita, throughout the series, changes vastly through her trials. In terms of mind, Esdoc's statement about impurities having a stimulating, positive effect fully applies. But then, this could not have been Alita's intention either.

So we are left with the intangibles of the "soul," which are yet more difficult to define. To argue about purity of "essence" is impossible, as it is a completely nebulous factor and, by some arguments, could be split into different aspects in and of itself. Alita's theology is unknown, but it is doubtful she was referring to purity from sin: she acknowledges her own shortcomings and has been able to see through those of others, such as Makaku, to the complex personalities within. Purity of intent is unlikely as well, as intent is greatly derived from the mind, and purity of intent rarely equates to purity of action. Purity of action is impossible as well, as that concept cannot exist without a moral/ethical system dictating it, and one cannot account for all the influences one's actions might have.

All that's left, really, is purity of will: the ability to focus every aspect of one's being to a single end and achieve that which he is compelled, for whatever reason, to do. It is this that makes up not only the crux of Alita's vow, but the locus of the struggles of the different characters as well. Even mad scientist Desty Nova uses his nanotechnology to achieve the "conquest of karma" - which can be seen, in the world of this book, as the final factor inhibiting that purity of will. Both Nova and Alita act as catalysts for the other characters to achieve that which their talents and compulsions drive them to do, and it is that underlying will that calls all of this forth.

So, in a roundabout way, let's make this a thread about the idea of purity and how it can be applied, and in what ways it actually exists. I simply used the Alita example as an argument from the comic's own worldview and facts; feel free to argue your own as well. 3nodding
I wont comment because this should have been posted in the anime section. Your failure to graps between important discussions and longwinded, symbolic opinions implies that the post you wrote is bullshit.
SadLittleBoi
I wont comment because this should have been posted in the anime section. Your failure to graps between important discussions and longwinded, symbolic opinions implies that the post you wrote is bullshit.

[23:24:54] <Zymmetriad> http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5472956 <-- oops, I did it again

[23:26:10] * Nora waits for someone to report it to be mvoed to the anime forum cause it talks about anime

Well, if nothing else, this thread has reaffirmed my psychic ability.
SadLittleBoi

sad
SadLittleBoi

... I'm not sure this would be uh, well-recieved in the Anime forum.

I am, in fact, pretty sure this is exactly where it belongs.
SadLittleBoi

What else do you expect from someone with a BA in English? wink

Proxy Prophet

SadLittleBoi

Oh, he's sorry. Obviously manga has nothing to do with anything worth discussing.

Your nomenclature is apt, sir.

Can dumbasses be pure in will? I've seen some act in single-minded determination to accomplish an agenda while discarding all opposing dogma or reason. What do you think about those types of people?
*gently shoves the thread back away from flaming the second poster and back to the opening post*
Good, good excellent thoughts. There's a lot more to anime than meets the eye. Also consider the "bad seed from an impure Garden" line of Edea's in FFVIII. And Saruman, from Lord of the Rings, whose robes were no longer white when he decided he was better than everyone else - they were all colors. In the movies they did a good job of making Saruman seem a powerless old man; his robes turn grey and dingy.

Purity is a subject that in the end depends on the interpretation of the individual. However, I think your example is an excellent one.

And for the people complaining that this should be in the anime forum - do you think the "OMGZ INUYASHA" fangirls would take to a well-thought-out post such as this one? It's a discussion about purity, not anime. Fer God's sake, get over yourself. The guy's smart.
Aw, c'mon... just a little bit of real discussion? Please? sweatdrop
That hard to define
Taint nullifies us against the opposite. Even the purest snow white paper turns black when doused in ink. White absorbs black, whereas black cannot absorb black.
Angel of the dark rose
Taint nullifies us against the opposite. Even the purest snow white paper turns black when doused in ink. White absorbs black, whereas black cannot absorb black.

You do know that "TRUE" black is the total lack of light right?
Basically, no matter how much CRAP you throw on snow, it's still not black..
BUT, you can turn a light on, and CREATE light! Thus, removing darkness..
So really I'd say, it's a crappy metaphor.
Actually, it is kind of like a vaccine. They inject some of the virus into your body so that the body can build up it's antibodies against the virus. When you finally do get the virus, your body already knows how to kill it. Although it does make you kind of sick for a while.
Purity is nothing more than a concept, no human sans divine intervention can ever attain a state of purity.

However, that depends on the definition of purity. What is pure to a human may not be pure...it is only pure because we say it is. Humans have a tendency to see everything in terms of how it relates to them, making it hard to really define such a debateable concept.

If we are to go by out human standards though, forgetting for a moment that morality is a human creation, I highly doubt anyone is ever completely pure. Humans seem innately unpure. They are born from sex, are dirty and messy, and egocentric.

Thoughts arise of God. God, lets assume that He is undeniably real, is the embodiment of purity...because, well, He is God. But humans often question the authority or judgement of God. So what does that say about our view of purity? They must not be very accurate. Some might say those who are saved are pure, because they have sinned, but have been given a clean slate by Christ.

In any definition, purity is out of reach for the living...except in a possibly religious sense.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff