Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

Earlier in the week at election day, conservatives were bettin' the farm on what went down in my home state, even to the point where they called Cuccinelli vs McAulleffe as the "Battle for the soul of the nation" and other hyperbole that sounds nice and dramatic on talk radio.

Well, the Cooch couldn't quite pull it off. The usual reactions happened of course; accusations of the left rolling in their "hordes" (never minding the talk show and radio blitz on the right as well as people like Mark Levin, who cried the yummiest tears especially when he bawwwwed about there being "Nothing extreme about Cuccinelli!", holding rallies down here in the old dominion), accusations that Libertarian candidate Terry Sarvis was put in as a plant (once again dredging that old Democrat/Republican adage that only THEY are entitled to votes, no other party), the usual stuff.

Then a couple days later we find that the administration, not quite satisfied with enough government in our lives, decides that not only are restaurants forbidden from using trans fats in foods, but now even private ******** citizens shouldn't be allowed to use them! Classy, Obama admin, classy.

What's the right wing's reaction to THIS? Well what do you freaking thing? Big government in our lives, blah blah blah. Okay, fine, they're not incorrect.

But then I remember, wasn't the soul of the nation on this election day riding on the election of a man who attempted in his time to dictate what sex you can have with your signifigant other, in private?

The Cooch
"They’re intrinsically wrong. And I think in a natural law based country it’s appropriate to have policies that reflect that,”

A man who tried to revive a puritannical law JUST THIS YEAR?!

Maybe it's old hat to shout it, but hey GOP, maybe we'll believe you're fighting the good fight to get government out of our lives when you stop backing things like this bullcrap!

Discuss; where the hell I'm wrong, supposedly.
trans fats are literally poison, though.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Figures. I heard about all the crap they spewed about the Libertarian candidate. Here in Ohio, they were trying to pass a bill banning third parties, and guess who voted for it? Republicans. Democrats said they'd vote against it, which surprised me. I'm not surprised by him trying to pass a puritanical law though. that's the path the GOP seems to be going down. As for the trans fats, not surprised either. Some Democrats seem to think the government knows best when it comes to the lives of citizens, or that citizens are too stupid/uneducated to know what's best.
IMO let people eat what they want. They want to eat a whole bag of chocolate covered potatoe chips, let them.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Darth Acheron
Some Democrats seem to think ...that citizens are too stupid/uneducated to know what's best.

Oh please, this is a view held by Democrats, Republicans, Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, Labour, the Tories, the Whigs, the Party, the Loyalists, the United Federation of Planets and the Galactic Empire.
And it's a view that's often right.
Human caused climate change denial, Creationism, Don't say gay in case our children catch the gay, abstinence based sex health programs, do I really need to continue pointing out the overwhelming evidence that the citizens are uneducated?
If I were 30% more cynical than I am, I'd think these policies were part of some secret society's plans to keep everyone stupid. Just don't give this idea to that crazy person on ED general who thinks there really is a secret society, because this conspiracy is at least vaguely credible.

Tipsy Explorer

Taking trans fats out of food is the exact same as taking lead out of paint, and aside from that the market is trending towards it anyway.

That aside, I doubt you'll find anyone in ED-P who disagrees with you. Aside from the handful that hump the elephant leg everyone here knows Republicans love big government when it's on their terms.

Aged Lunatic

The Danguy
Taking trans fats out of food is the exact same as taking lead out of paint, and aside from that the market is trending towards it anyway.

Why the hell didn't they let the market go ahead and trend it out then? Why the sudden urge to make having some fatty cooking material suddenly to be holding contraband?
Let me get this straight. Your right to oral sex was jeopardized and yet your concern is trans fats?
3 things:

First, it looks like the ED-P might actually be starting to get interesting again. (Midterm elections are next year, so wouldn't be too surprising).

Second. Hello GSK. 好久不见。

Third (and on topic): I read about the whole shitstorm that was the whole Cuccinelli vs. McAulleffe crap over on PolicyMic, and watched a segment about it on the Daily Show, where the conclusion basically was that Virginia had to vote for either “Steaming Pile of s**t A" or "Steaming Pile of s**t B”.

Honestly, as an Independent, I've become convinced that the majority of voters who subscribe to the party affiliation idea are not firing on all cylinders. That said, I'm stuck next to the second most liberal city on the West Coast, so my view on -insert party name- voters might be a tad bit jaded.

Actually, I take that back. My view is ******** about people that are members of political parties. They seem to devolve into a bunch of mindless sheep of various colors after awhile who will go along with whatever the government tells them. Unless of course, the other party is in power, because then it's "PROTESTPROTESTPROTESTPROTEST!!!1!! Our country's leader is a certain infamous jackass from the 1900s!"

Quite depressing really (Yeah, I'm making a broad generalization. But it feels rather accurate these days).

Will people actually start looking at what the issues are and where candidates X & Y stand, instead of voting party line because the other major party "is teh stoopid" or some equally moronic, black/white logic told to them by the political party they're part of?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."
Also, thank CHRIST there's activity here. Posting in Site Feedback in regards to the terrible way Gaia Online's being managed was getting rather depressing.

Aged Lunatic

God Emperor Baldur
Let me get this straight. Your right to oral sex was jeopardized and yet your concern is trans fats?

No, I'm just reiterating the age old question of why, if the right wing was so damned scared about us losing our freedom, they were spending the last few weeks hoping that a man who wants the police in Virginia bedrooms would get elected.
GunsmithKitten
God Emperor Baldur

No, I'm just reiterating the age old question of why, if the right wing was so damned scared about us losing our freedom, they were spending the last few weeks hoping that a man who wants the police in Virginia bedrooms would get elected.

Because it has to be Christian centered freedom, obviously.

You can't have the gay going around in a Christian nation so you gotta purge the gay outta the heathens.

You also can't have the Muslims going around in a Christian nation either, so you gotta purge them by forbidding their practices, obviously you should know that by now GSK rolleyes

Tipsy Explorer

GunsmithKitten
The Danguy

Why the hell didn't they let the market go ahead and trend it out then? Why the sudden urge to make having some fatty cooking material suddenly to be holding contraband?
Because often enough the market doesn't react fast enough, or is reluctant to act at all so sometimes a little prodding is needed.

Aged Lunatic

The Danguy
GunsmithKitten
The Danguy

Because often enough the market doesn't react fast enough, or is reluctant to act at all so sometimes a little prodding is needed.

Well ******** all kinds of duck, I dodge my state making me out to be a criminal for what I do in the bedroom to suddenly be one under the federal government over what's in my ******** pantry. Guh.

Omnipresent Warlord

Trans fats improve shelf life of products and hasn't even always been used in products. It saves corporations money and of course they will fight to keep using them. Just as cigarettes kill slowly, so do trans fats. There's no reason to allow such pointless harm.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
What's with the fondness people have for atherosclerosis?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff