Welcome to Gaia! ::

anonymous attributes
2. The Bible specifies the perfect dimensions for a stable water vessel (Genesis 6:15). Ship builders today are well aware that the ideal dimension for ship stability is a length six times that of the width.
Source?
The20
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

10. Sexual promiscuity can be dangerous to your health (1 Corinthians 6:18; Romans 1:27). The Bible warns that “he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body,” and that those who commit homosexual sin would “receive in themselves” the penalty of their error. Much data now confirms that sexual promiscuity leads to disease..

God must have missed me. Engaging in homosexual sex for quite a while but no STD's whatsoever.

Also, the Bible considers masturbation sexual sin as well, and that's proven to be beneficial.
I hope you're not talking about Onan, because that's not what this was about at all.

Nah, not Onanism, more like how Christians say that it qualifies as the " if you have looked with lust in your heart you have already commited adultery" yada yada.
They Came to Kill GSK
The20
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

10. Sexual promiscuity can be dangerous to your health (1 Corinthians 6:18; Romans 1:27). The Bible warns that “he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body,” and that those who commit homosexual sin would “receive in themselves” the penalty of their error. Much data now confirms that sexual promiscuity leads to disease..

God must have missed me. Engaging in homosexual sex for quite a while but no STD's whatsoever.

Also, the Bible considers masturbation sexual sin as well, and that's proven to be beneficial.
I hope you're not talking about Onan, because that's not what this was about at all.

Nah, not Onanism, more like how Christians say that it qualifies as the " if you have looked with lust in your heart you have already commited adultery" yada yada.
That's not masturbation, though, that's only lusting. Neither necessarily follow each other.

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

Show me where it says masturbation is a sin.

Hygienic Noob

Romans had an entire sanitation system thousands of years before the modern world did. In fact, Rome had many advancements that were ahead of its time. Doesn't mean that Jupiter and Juno are the true gods we should be worshiping.

To the main point though, I could point to any action or scientific achievement and find a verse in the bible that hinted at it. The book is a vague enough that can be used as a source for whatever you want it to be a source for.

If the bible truly alluded to any scientific discoveries, we would not have had the dark ages where the church suppressed any scientific research because the bible would have already told them about the universe around us.

Looking at it after the fact is like me saying something vague like "You will make an important decision today" and then you going "OMG! She's omnipotent! I had to decide on whether to accept the buying offer on my house or not!"

The point is, everyone points to the bible where it is correct, and all the vague details (like Revelations) that haven't predicted a damn thing or is just flat out wrong are conveniently forgotten or brushed over.
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

You do some pretty cranky and moody most of the time, though. Unstable?
Kaltros
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

You do some pretty cranky and moody most of the time, though. Unstable?

That's because I have to put up with people telling me constantly how I'm ruining society and their lives by existing/having autonomy. Makes me cranky.
toasega
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

have you looked upon anything other than your wife with lust?

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
They Came to Kill GSK
toasega
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

I'm not married.
toasega
They Came to Kill GSK
toasega
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

I'm not married.

Doesn't' matter. You're cheating on your future/possible wife.

Yea no s**t, that's Christian logic.

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
They Came to Kill GSK
toasega
They Came to Kill GSK
toasega
They Came to Kill GSK
anonymous attributes

I'm not married.

Doesn't' matter. You're cheating on your future/possible wife.

Yea no s**t, that's Christian logic.

I've never heard any Christian use that logic, and I grew up in (and still live in) a "God-fearing" environment (also I'm a Christian myself).
toasega
I've never heard any Christian use that logic, and I grew up in (and still live in) a "God-fearing" environment (also I'm a Christian myself).

That's... odd, that you've gone that long without them quoting 1 Corinthians 7 at you.

The short form: marriage sucks, unless you're really horny and at risk of running about having arbitrary sex. In that case, you should get married so that you have a single valid target for your arbitrary sex.

Paul of Tarsus, doling out marriage advice.
Catastrophic Lullaby

What does true things being in the bible have anything to do with the validity of the bible?

Do the fact that some things in the bible reflect reality and others do not (such as bats being birds) not discredit the book?

I don't understand why people feel that the bible proves a god exists, especially a merciful and loving god. The bible does not prove the bible.

What about the self-contradictory nature of the bible?

There are also so many things in this 'holy book' that does not reflect reality.

This is also a good resource for showing contradictions in the bible: http://bibviz.com/.

It gives a pretty good interactive visualization of contradictions, misogyny, violence, and inaccuracies with sources to the specific parts of the bible.
The Not So Doomed Account
Catastrophic Lullaby

What does true things being in the bible have anything to do with the validity of the bible?

Do the fact that some things in the bible reflect reality and others do not (such as bats being birds) not discredit the book?

I don't understand why people feel that the bible proves a god exists, especially a merciful and loving god. The bible does not prove the bible.

What about the self-contradictory nature of the bible?

There are also so many things in this 'holy book' that does not reflect reality.

This is also a good resource for showing contradictions in the bible: http://bibviz.com/.

It gives a pretty good interactive visualization of contradictions, misogyny, violence, and inaccuracies with sources to the specific parts of the bible.

This also is a good resource for exposing amateurs, and liars who make things up and can't read the Bible but to their own destruction and shame.
1> Unless you speak scholarly Hebrew and are a Bible scholar, do not attempt to translate the Bible.

2. Straw man.

3. Its a scientific fact that there is water under the crust, and the Bible tells us this is where most of the water of the flood came from also spoken of in genesis.

4. You lied.

5. Doesn't answer the statement.

6. Doesn't answer the statement, and ends with a red herring fallacy.

7. God DID create two sky's. Read the text. Job Job 26:11 is not literal, read the text. There is waters above the heavens, read the text.

8. Doesn't address the statement.

9. I'll just restate 9. Ocean currents anticipated (Psalm 8:8 ). Three thousand years ago the Bible described the “paths of the seas.” In the 19th century Matthew Maury – the father of oceanography – after reading Psalm 8, researched and discovered ocean currents that follow specific paths through the seas! Utilizing Maury’s data, marine navigators have since reduced by many days the time required to traverse the seas.

10 Much data now confirms that sexual promiscuity leads to disease.

11. Since you're so bad at addressing the actual statements, I'll just restate. 11. Incalculable number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22). At a time when less than 5,000 stars were visible to the human eye, God stated that the stars of heaven were innumerable. Not until the 17th century did Galileo glimpse the immensity of our universe with his new telescope. Today, astronomers estimate that there are ten thousand billion trillion stars – that’s a 1 followed by 25 zeros! Yet, as the Bible states, scientists admit this number may be woefully inadequate

12. You first statement doesn't address the OP. Your last statement says this.
"Not to mention that it postulates that everything that ever lived on Earth would be capable of thriving in the spots their fossils are found in." That is dumb. If the whole earth were covered with water, everything would be moved around. The belief in evolution is a lie.

Kent Hovind is way smarter than you about creationism and evolutionism. Again, I offer you the chance to speak to Kent Hovind himself, I can get you that phone call. Or what, will you run away? It might cost you a few bucks though, otherwise stop putting people down because you know you can without retaliation. Your high horse attitude might get you banned also because I don't like your fake arguments. Those two don't survive long in my thread.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff