Welcome to Gaia! ::

emotion_facepalm

The trigger warning was included because the thread was going to include detailed accounts of rape. If the discussion was more vague, it might not have been necessary.

Folks don't like it can deaaaal with it.

Fanatical Zealot

The Living Force
emotion_facepalm

The trigger warning was included because the thread was going to include detailed accounts of rape. If the discussion was more vague, it might not have been necessary.

Folks don't like it can deaaaal with it.

I think by using rape in the title you pretty much acknowledged that.

Also trigger word I mean, you already used it. O_o
Sounds kinda like those middle east countries where they have the women put a sheet over their existence, because apparently the men there are far more rapey than in any other part of the world.

The whole military rape thing is because there is a real and perceived scarcity of women. Look at troops of babboons and you will see exactly the same behavior; except we're supposed to be the "advanced" species, and our aggression is so great that it's capable of wiping out all life on the surface.

Of course, I just wonder why the military even exists, not why it's internally ******** up. It's a structure whose sole purpose is to defend the interests of the economic elite by going to foreign countries and ******** murdering people. I don't give a s**t about the problems of soldiers and more than likely I never will.

Fanatical Zealot

Je Nique vos Merdiers
Sounds kinda like those middle east countries where they have the women put a sheet over their existence, because apparently the men there are far more rapey than in any other part of the world.

The whole military rape thing is because there is a real and perceived scarcity of women. Look at troops of babboons and you will see exactly the same behavior; except we're supposed to be the "advanced" species, and our aggression is so great that it's capable of wiping out all life on the surface.

Of course, I just wonder why the military even exists, not why it's internally ******** up. It's a structure whose sole purpose is to defend the interests of the economic elite by going to foreign countries and ******** murdering people. I don't give a s**t about the problems of soldiers and more than likely I never will.

Reading this made my brain fizzle.

Unbeatable Survivor

6,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
Truocpal8176
There's definitely a garbage-in, garbage-out problem. Prior to the Korean War, the United States adhered to the best traditions of Enlightenment moral rationalism and heeded George Washington's warning to avoid unnecessary foreign entanglements. If someone signed up for the military, he knew that he would only be fighting when it was necessary to defend America and her freedoms. So he knew (a) he was unlikely to be in much personal danger himself (America doesn't come under military threat every day, or even every decade), and (b) if he was in going into combat, it was as part of a clearly defined mission with clearly defined objectives, benefits, and justifications.

Since that point, America started fighting a series of nebulous wars with vague geopolitical rationales... to install allied regimes in geographically central areas, to prop up capitalist elites, and just generally to show everyone else in the world that if you ******** with us, there are consequences. Since opportunities to fight these sorts of wars come up frequently, we fight more of them, and when we do fight them the fight is more or less constant (because propping up regimes and social structures is harder than defending one country from another country's army). In WWII, iirc, the average soldier was in a combat engagement once every 200 days; in Vietnam, he was in an engagement once every 14 days.

When American foreign policy was a beacon to the democratic world, the most noble and intelligent people in the USA were eager to serve their country. Since that policy has become a cynical calculation about how many warm bodies we need to turn to bloody pulp to gain a certain amount of power, only the insane, the antisocial, and the belligerent see the military as a vocation that they would be at home in. During the Iraq War the Army even had to drop their IQ standards and educational requirements.

You sir, deserve several internets.

Devoted Explorer

Je Nique vos Merdiers

The military is made up of people who largely think what they're doing actually helps people. That they are a tool of assholes does not make them any less deserving of protection.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff