Welcome to Gaia! ::

CuAnnan
Fermionic
CuAnnan
Senator Armstrong
Lady__Miko

the term isn't limited to Saxons in the states.

He's trying to differentiate how white-skinned people of different nationalities have been discriminated against, primarily Irish and... maybe Slavs, I don't know. It's a valid point if you ignore the last 50 years.

The Irish, Welsh, by and large the Scottish also, the Manx, the Basque off the top of my head.

And the English, of course.

I don't actually know enough about English race politics to comment.

That and, being Irish, I have no choice but to loathe your oppressive evil nature you evil oppressor you.

That is what I mean, in all seriousness. There is an unjustified nationalistic hatred between the English and Celts, based almost completely upon the woes of centuries past. Things done to one's ancestors by the ancestors of another.

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
The20
Vixianna
Man this thread is the most hilariously clueless thing I've seen in a really long time. Just pages and pages of clueless people talking at each other about how racist people are to white people.

Ok kiddies.

You're right. People are racist to white people. You know what else? I really don't ******** care. Want to know why? Because I have limited emotional capacity and I'm too worried about my people being slowly genocided. So no, I DON'T care that someone was mean to you on one site on the entire ******** internet and hurt your feelings.
Who is committing genocide against your people and where?

America, white supremacy, right now. Next?
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna
Man this thread is the most hilariously clueless thing I've seen in a really long time. Just pages and pages of clueless people talking at each other about how racist people are to white people.

Ok kiddies.

You're right. People are racist to white people. You know what else? I really don't ******** care. Want to know why? Because I have limited emotional capacity and I'm too worried about my people being slowly genocided. So no, I DON'T care that someone was mean to you on one site on the entire ******** internet and hurt your feelings.

Which ones are your people?

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
CuAnnan

My country men are fond of the phrase "800 years of oppression", but I would contend that until Elizabeth the First (or arguably Henry the Eighth) Ireland was not really occupied, but some Normans had come in, integrated and lived quite happily among the Irish.

Starting with Queen Elizabeth the First, moving through (in leaps and bounds and in no particular order) The Plantations, Cromwell, the Great Famine, The Great Hunger (which despite common parlance was closer to a genocide than a famine, in that Irish people and farms were producing more than enough food to feed the nation several times over but everything except the potato and maybe a knackered cow worth less than a pound was forcibly removed to feed the English occupying landlords), the Penal Laws, The Troubles up the North. Or, in short, I think that racism against whites looks an awful lot like Irish history.

Oh god this is back.

Ok. How about you don't take something in obviously American only context and then try to place it in another country and go, "SEE!"

Yes I KNOW people have been treating Irish folks like s**t for centuries. Especially in England, not so any more in America, but it used to be so here too.

I'm not at ALL sure why you think re-contextualizing something you damn well KNEW was specific to America makes it so you "win".

Irish people weren't "white" in America when they were getting shat on, and they are now. Isn't that interesting?

The racial system in America is pretty damn unique. While in a lot of other places it's far more on religion, or culture, or ethnicity, that's not true of America, and hasn't been since the beginning. We are an experiment in a very different type of systematic prejudice, and I would appreciate if people who either know jack s**t about it, or think talking about something in another ******** country with a different context proves their point would just not.

CuAnnan

Actually, that's what you look like. Where schools are representatives of nations.
You think that because bullying has a specific profile in your school that's what it looks like everywhere.

See? This is what happens when people think they can move something to another country and "win". Let me ask you something?

Does England have the construction of "whiteness" that America does, or is it based on something else? On ethnicity, on religion, on cultural values, ect.?

Because if it doesn't have the same history as America, this is a false goddamn comparison.

I didn't ignore Ireland because I'm "pretending" people considered white in OUR context never suffered. I'm ignoring them because it has absolutely nothing to do with my point about American history,and the culture of white supremacy here.

Your bullying has a different profile, and you know I wasn't speaking about it, and yet here you are trying to make it about YOU.

CuAnnan

If "cracker", "snow bunny" and so on are not offensive then neither is "******". I am white. I am not part of the ancestrial history connected to those who used the term "******" as a tool of oppression. As it happens, I use neither outside of discussions about pejoratives. I don't like impersonal invective.

And here's where I ask if you even LIVE in America, because I'm not joking when I say it makes a difference. While I no longer like bothering arguing with ignorant white people, or any people for that matter, about the facts of white supremacy as if it's up for debate, I sometimes make exceptions.

There are slurs for Irishmen in this country, that at the time they were used, were just as nasty and harmful as "******" is previously and currently. That time *passed*. Those terms? They never had the connotation or denotation that specific Irish slurs did. Why not? Because they haven't been backed up with violence.

Make no mistake, violence done to a group, through a system, is still violence. It's violence when we funnel poor people, especially poor minority kids, into the prison system. It's violence that was the war on drugs. It's violence that snatched land from NDN people's and burned down black towns. And it's violence that denies black people equal access to loans, and cars, and education.

All of this is violence, but not all of it is physical violence. Calling a black person a "******", saying "no niggers allowed", that is an act of violence backed up by the ages of white supremacy. And no matter how not racist you personally are, the context of any white person calling a black person a ****** will always be a different one than the reverse so long as white supremacy is a thing in this country.

She has no head, no it isn't equal.

This is what gets me here. The absolute insistence that terms with very different histories, usages, connotations, and violence behind them *have* be to equally offensive and harmful just because . Just because they both sorta refer to skin tone, just because they both have to do with "race", just because if it didn't we'd have to finally admit she has no head.

This is the same exact nonsense that permeates the feminist movement that conflates reproductive issues with abortion without ever stopping to ask poor and minority women if they've ever had a problem with abortion, or if they need protection to GET abortions.

It's a blatant refusal to interrogate from a different non-affluent white perspective. Those words are all the same to you. I don't suppose you think "M**k" is all the same as "cracker". I certainly don't, but ******** it maybe you do at least you'd be consistent in your wrongness even if continuing to be wrong.

CuAnnan

Maybe you should put the scalpel down.
Because hacking away at the rest of the world and claiming it's triage is

??? I'm sure you were going somewhere with this, but you cut off the rest of the thought?

In any case, no. Insisting that things in America aren't equally doesn't say anything about Ireland.

CuAnnan

Physician, heal thyself.

That's funny. In a "haha wow even when white people are from other countries they think 'just pull yourself together' is an actual piece of unique helpful advice." sort of way.

Let me let you in on a little secret:

If Black America never stopped to heal itself or protect itself we would have been dead a long time ago. Great now that we've gotten that out of the way, any OTHER useless platitudes you have for me?

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
Fermionic
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna

Ok kiddies.

Depends. I'm a Black America, but I sure wouldn't call what NDN's in America have gone through and currently go through not genocide.

But yeah, Black Americans.
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna

Ok kiddies.

Depends. I'm a Black America, but I sure wouldn't call what NDN's in America have gone through and currently go through not genocide.

There is a concerted and systematic destruction of the race of Black Americans?
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna

Ok kiddies.

I'm not sure i follow.
Are you saying that White Supremacists are waging a genocide against black people in the US?
Or are you saying that someone is waging a genocide against NDN's (whatever that term means)?

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
Fermionic
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna

Ok kiddies.

...Pretty much exactly what I said yes. Genocide isn't only death, but death is a big part of it.

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
The20
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna

Ok kiddies.

I'm not sure i follow.
Are you saying that White Supremacists are waging a genocide against black people in the US?
Or are you saying that someone is waging a genocide against NDN's (whatever that term means)?

I'm saying it is doing both. White Supremacy is pretty good at multi-tasking. Would have to be to keep up oppression on all fronts.

NDN, a preferred term for "Native American". I've seen people use both, but in general NDN is used for the entire group when not speaking about specific tribes. Native American might be something you are more familiar with? Or maybe Aboriginal. We don't use that term in the US, but I know they do in other countries like Australia or Canada. Sooo?
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna

...Pretty much exactly what I said yes. Genocide isn't only death, but death is a big part of it.

Do you have any particular pieces of evidence to support that claim that you can present here?
CuAnnan
Lady__Miko
Quote:
racism:

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

Your citation not only doesn't support your definition, it directly contradicts it. See the bold?

My point was to show how the word itself is commonly used when people say blacks cannot be racist, not whether or not you find their ability to use it in such a way technically correct. What people mean is more important than whether or not you feel as though it's right of them to add greater context to the word. I did not contradict my point at all.

Quote:
Lady__Miko
When people say "blacks can't be racist" they tend to mean that in the context of being able to create systemic and economic injustice on the basis of race.

By that definition, neither can white people. Only rich people can.

Again not entirely true. Schools for example are institutions that teach normative behavior and values common to white people and shift in doctrine based on white consensus. What is it means to teach, what it means to learn, what it means to be smart and what it means to be successful, are structured around what white people agree it means and this is just the tip of the iceberg. In terms of other cultures being systemically taught and integrated into schools that simply does not happen.

Quote:
Lady__Miko
the term isn't limited to Saxons in the states.

If you mean to actually be talking about all white people when you're using the term white people then what you are saying is "based on my experience with White people in America, all white people do this" and that is racist.

Again I'm sticking to the rather relative way people use it in the sense of normative behavior affecting institutions. Are all white people racist? No. However when you're speaking on normative levels that affect institutions, enough feel permissive of the notion people of color have little to contribute culturally to the fundamental structure of things, particularly things that affect social mobility (such as "education" ) in that their not knowing anything beyond how different cultures eat and say hello to one another goes unchallenged.

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
Fermionic
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna

Do you have any particular pieces of evidence to support that claim that you can present here?

*sigh*

I'll be back, it'll take a while to gather it all up, but in general the idea is aggressive requirements of complete cultural assimilation.

Attacks against "black" features.

Stereotypes of black women, men, and children being used to justify actual physical violence.

The scientific studies on black's lack of intelligence, beauty, criminality.

Medical abuses current and through the centuries.

The Prison-school pipeline, the disproportionate funneling of black children into "special ed", the segregation of schools and neighborhoods.

The lack of economic opportunities because of mortgage, car loan, educational suppression, and other problems with the job/money market.

I'm using this definition of genocide: ""any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.""

As such, I'm not just talking about killing black americans, though yeah there's a disturbing amount of that. I'm talking about everything one to America as a whole created by white supremacy specifically control and destroy PoC, and in this case black americans specifically.

Under this definition, NDN and black Americans are definitely suffering an extended genocide. There have been measures to prevent black births, force us into poverty, cause us emotional and physical harm, kill us with impunity, ect.

The same can be said of like, every other non-white group in America at some point or currently. Such is the purpose of white supremacy. To control and destroy for the benefit of a much smaller class of people to support their economics.

The question is of course, where would you like me to start?
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna

*sigh*

I'll be back, it'll take a while to gather it all up, but in general the idea is aggressive requirements of complete cultural assimilation.

Attacks against "black" features.

Stereotypes of black women, men, and children being used to justify actual physical violence.

The scientific studies on black's lack of intelligence, beauty, criminality.

Medical abuses current and through the centuries.

The Prison-school pipeline, the disproportionate funneling of black children into "special ed", the segregation of schools and neighborhoods.

The lack of economic opportunities because of mortgage, car loan, educational suppression, and other problems with the job/money market.

I'm using this definition of genocide: ""any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.""

As such, I'm not just talking about killing black americans, though yeah there's a disturbing amount of that. I'm talking about everything one to America as a whole created by white supremacy specifically control and destroy PoC, and in this case black americans specifically.

Under this definition, NDN and black Americans are definitely suffering an extended genocide. There have been measures to prevent black births, force us into poverty, cause us emotional and physical harm, kill us with impunity, ect.

The same can be said of like, every other non-white group in America at some point or currently. Such is the purpose of white supremacy. To control and destroy for the benefit of a much smaller class of people to support their economics.

The question is of course, where would you like me to start?

Heavens, I don't require you to write it all down, I just like to know that people have evidence for such claims.
Vixianna
The20
Vixianna
Fermionic
Vixianna

I'm not sure i follow.

I'm saying it is doing both. White Supremacy is pretty good at multi-tasking. Would have to be to keep up oppression on all fronts.

NDN, a preferred term for "Native American". I've seen people use both, but in general NDN is used for the entire group when not speaking about specific tribes. Native American might be something you are more familiar with? Or maybe Aboriginal. We don't use that term in the US, but I know they do in other countries like Australia or Canada. Sooo?

On the subject of genocide can be defined as the destruction of a cultural group:

Quote:
the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

1. In America there is a pro-life/choice dichotomy that undermines the history of black people and other people of color fighting for the right to choose having children. The American rhetoric undermines that years of racial discrimination, the deliberate destablization of black neighborhoods by the government using things like drugs, and the outright destruction of black infrastructures have left many black females with less access to sex education, less access to health care, and higher rates of poverty. Anytime you coerce poverty and in a context of having sterilized females and tried preventing them from having children then place most of the abortion facilities in their neighborhood it speaks on what the higher powers that be want. I'm not commenting on whether or not women should or should not on an individual level have the liberty to respond to a coercive environment by aborting. My point is that America's intentions in making abortion available while simultaneously forcing poverty on blacks is not a coincidence. As a matter of fact eugenics against blacks was one of the reasons abortion was originally pushed.

2. You have 1/3rd of all black men going to prison in their lifetime. This means less access to jobs, no access to social support systems and in the hopes of America, he will eventually return to the prison industrial system. And before someone is silly enough to talk about how fair it is, those men will and are doing industrial level jobs at home people (yes white too) could be doing for a livable wage instead of pennies. In our country prisons make profits by jailing people giving enormous incentives (in the billions) to incarcerate people. Blacks report equal rates of drug use (the most common reason of incarceration non violent drug offenses), but are stopped and arrested more, plus tend to (for reasons of anti-black racial injustices of the past) have less money to hire adequate legal counsel to protect their rights. So 1/3rd of all black men potentially being rendered inaccessible for reproduction or just making them unsafe to have children with because the women have no security that they'll be around.

3. Cultural annihilation. Do folks know why many black American children dream of being sport stars and rappers? Why some even if they don't like the notion forsee their future in a life of crime before they forsee getting a degree? It's not because they all enjoy the notion of being stupid. But in order to have any real chance in America at social mobility with the exception of those two paths (and even in those two a lack of financial literacy tends to leave them broke), Blacks to survive have to go through an "education" system which on a systemic level really doesn't teach nor integrate anything about non-white normative behavior/thought and/or outright mocks the differences in how education, language and so on have been traditionally perceived differently between blacks and whites. Y'know while America is telling the rest of the world they DON'T do that as reason for why they should be leaders of the free world. America has had a problem with educators pathologizing cultural differences and responding by drugging the children and labeling them with disabilities. It's not to say that every kid that makes it out is successfully assimilated, but structurally that is the goal and many of them are. Thus on a cultural level those who are more culturally traditional are at a greater risk of finding the system to operate to their detriment and may not actually get very far which then leads to the prison system. With no other methods of mobility you resort to doing the work no one else wants: crime.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Vixianna
Oh god this is back.

Ok. How about you don't take something in obviously American only context and then try to place it in another country and go, "SEE!"

I got asked what I thought racism against whites looked like.
I did not get asked what I thought racism against whites in America looks like.
I wouldn't know what that looks like, except that one time I got accosted for being white by some people of color on the street in California. Boy were they embarrassed when I pulled out my passport, hilarity ensued.

Vixianna
Especially in England

No. Especially in Ireland.

Vixianna
Irish people weren't "white" in America when they were getting shat on, and they are now. Isn't that interesting?

They were white then, they're white now. "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish".

Vixianna
The racial system in America is pretty damn unique. While in a lot of other places it's far more on religion, or culture, or ethnicity, that's not true of America, and hasn't been since the beginning.

Yup. I agree.

Vixianna
See? This is what happens when people think they can move something to another country and "win".

I'm not moving it to another country. I'm pointing out that you're extrapolating from American race politics to the general. Which is something those of us that are white but not from America take exception to.

Vixianna
Does England have the construction of "whiteness" that America does, or is it based on something else? On ethnicity, on religion, on cultural values, ect.?

I haven't a ******** clue what England thinks of anything, not being English.

Vixianna
I'm ignoring them because it has absolutely nothing to do with my point about American history,and the culture of white supremacy here.

While talking about white people, you cannot ignore white people that don't conform to what your defintion of white people is in order for your argument to be right.

Vixianna
Your bullying has a different profile, and you know I wasn't speaking about it, and yet here you are trying to make it about YOU.

No. You made it about me when you talked about me. I am white. Talking about white people makes it about me and my neighbours.

Vixianna
And here's where I ask if you even LIVE in America

I live in Ireland.

Vixianna
the facts of white supremacy as if it's up for debate, I sometimes make exceptions.

White supremacy in America is totally a thing. It's sick. It's wrong. Half the time you need to educate people on the language of racism before educating them on racism itself.
But you're furthering the problem, not solving it.

Vixianna
There are slurs for Irishmen in this country, that at the time they were used, were just as nasty and harmful as "******" is previously and currently. That time *passed*. Those terms? They never had the connotation or denotation that specific Irish slurs did. Why not? Because they haven't been backed up with violence.

Are. You. ********. Kidding?

Vixianna
And no matter how not racist you personally are, the context of any white person calling a black person a ****** will always be a different one than the reverse so long as white supremacy is a thing in this country.

No. It won't. Because your country is not the world.

Vixianna
This is what gets me here. The absolute insistence that terms with very different histories, usages, connotations, and violence behind them *have* be to equally offensive and harmful just because .

No. Not "just because". Because in both cases they dehumanise the person on the grounds of race.

Vixianna
It's a blatant refusal to interrogate from a different non-affluent white perspective. Those words are all the same to you. I don't suppose you think "M**k" is all the same as "cracker". I certainly don't, but ******** it maybe you do at least you'd be consistent in your wrongness even if continuing to be wrong.

Etymologically, mick is different to cracker. Mick is a result of the prevelance of "Mc" at the start of surnames. Paddy because of the commonness of it as a first name.
I've heard them all.
Morally, no different to "cracker" or "******". It is dehumanising a person on racial grounds.

Vixianna
That's funny. In a "haha wow even when white people are from other countries they think 'just pull yourself together' is an actual piece of unique helpful advice." sort of way.

Nope. Not what that phrase means.
What it means is address the racism you got going on first.
You can't continue racially profiling all white people and expect them to listen to you. There is no monolithic "white race". If you'd been speaking about "White Americans", hells I wouldn't even have commented. Because it would have been none of my ******** business. But no. The claim was that there's no white racism and you asked what white racism would look like.
I demonstrated what white racism looks like and rather than saying "see this, white americans, this is what racism against white people looks like, how many can you check off" (and the answer would have been none) you did what? Tell me that the attrocities that my race (and I personally at border crossings in the 80s) faced are contextually irrelevant because contextually we're not whtie.
******** you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces