Welcome to Gaia! ::

with the reasoning they are not Christian, and then celebrate Valentine's Day, have got to be the most annoying people imo.

No, but seriously, Christmas is not a religious holiday. It is based on some old Germanic Pagan religion, which no longer exists, and is meant to celebrate winter.
Then Christians took it over.
And now it is a commercial holiday.

Christmas is about eating food, and getting presents.
Sure, some people go to Church, but you don't have to.

Ask even a 5 year old Catholic kid what Xmas is about, and he's going to say "santa and presents"

And the Christian folk no Xmas is a commercial holiday, which is why they put all those stupid "Keep Christ in Christmas signs up", which no one pays attention to, because Church is boring, Christmas is about presents, and Christmas is actually the Yule which was celebrated before Europe went Christian.

Most aspects of Christmas are from the previous holiday, Yule.
For example:
Christmas trees
Presents
Holly
Mistletoe
Yule Logs
Winter theme(as it was a winter holiday, but now it's down in Australia and Hawaii where there is no winter)

Lastly, if you are going to make a point of NOT celebrating Xmas because you are not Christian or whatnot, please stop celebrating the Feast Day of St Valentine.

Dapper Reveler

Every solstice celebration had some roots in mysticism, and christianity is the one that was brought to america. Just make up your own holidays if you feel so compelled to not enjoy one of humanity's most notably attributes of being mythological.
Avgvsto
Every solstice celebration had some roots in mysticism, and christianity is the one that was brought to america. Just make up your own holidays if you feel so compelled to not enjoy one of humanity's most notably attributes of being mythological.

It's now a human rights violation to give out Xmas cards at work, because it goes against freedom of religion.

Every atheist I know celebrates Xmas as a cultural holiday.
And about 75% of Christians I know don't go to Church on Xmas, and also celebrate it as a cultural holiday.

Tipsy Smoker

Why do you care? Usually, the people I meet that say things along those lines are still discovering themselves.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
I dont know what you want me to discuss.
If its whether your right or wrong. I will say you have the right to celebrate xmas just as people have the right to celebrate Christmas.

If its about people talking about the war on Christmas they have every right to do so.

I for one like to respond to any holiday greeting with picking a random holiday and telling them to have a nice "insert random time appropriate holiday"

Floppy Member

Chahklet
Why do you care? Usually, the people I meet that say things along those lines are still discovering themselves.

Ya seriously, because posting online or making an offhand comment about not celebrating a holiday on the secular calendar is now enough to get people's attention and thus these same people's panties in a wad more than the over thirty billboards, road-side evangelism signs, church signs, etc. etc. (not including personal t-shirts or jewelry, private lawn decorations or bumper stickers on private vehicles) proclaiming that we all need to think exactly alike or fry for all eternity after we're dead that I encounter between the Raceway and my local Bi-Lo?

Floppy Member

Carbonated Becel 101
Avgvsto

It's now a human rights violation to give out Xmas cards at work, because it goes against freedom of religion.

Supporting evidence?

Quote:

And the point of this is...?

Quote:
And about 75% of Christians I know don't go to Church on Xmas, and also celebrate it as a cultural holiday.

And that means...?

Tipsy Smoker

The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

Ya seriously, because posting online or making an offhand comment about not celebrating a holiday on the secular calendar is now enough to get people's attention and thus these same people's panties in a wad more than the over thirty billboards, road-side evangelism signs, church signs, etc. etc. (not including personal t-shirts or jewelry, private lawn decorations or bumper stickers on private vehicles) proclaiming that we all need to think exactly alike or fry for all eternity after we're dead that I encounter between the Raceway and my local Bi-Lo?
I'm seeing those same signs... And lately I have been hearing anti-abortion/democrat propaganda on the radio. It's just my opinion, but it's far worse than some snide ignorant comment by random joe.

Floppy Member

Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

I'm seeing those same signs... And lately I have been hearing anti-abortion/democrat propaganda on the radio. It's just my opinion, but it's far worse than some snide ignorant comment by random joe.

Oh yea. I see this type of thing on my main pages online for my email providers, too. I am assuming this is based on them knowing my geographic location. Cashiers are able to casually mention religion in ways that my children can hear when I pay for my groceries (naturally this is unsolicited, you know me) and religion should be up to me to discuss with my kids, but hey, some guy in line said that he doesn't celebrate Christmas because the decorations are beginning to clog the aisles already and it's not even Halloween, and somebody overheard him but THAT'S NOT OK.

What the actual ********, man?

Tipsy Smoker

The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

Oh yea. I see this type of thing on my main pages online for my email providers, too. I am assuming this is based on them knowing my geographic location. Cashiers are able to casually mention religion in ways that my children can hear when I pay for my groceries (naturally this is unsolicited, you know me) and religion should be up to me to discuss with my kids, but hey, some guy in line said that he doesn't celebrate Christmas because the decorations are beginning to clog the aisles already and it's not even Halloween, and somebody overheard him but THAT'S NOT OK.

Some sales associate was lecturing a customer on how secular Christmas has become. He hates it because parents break their backs at work trying to afford presents for their children. I don't really understand what's going on with people this year.

Floppy Member

Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

Some sales associate was lecturing a customer on how secular Christmas has become. He hates it because parents break their backs at work trying to afford presents for their children. I don't really understand what's going on with people this year.

The whole "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect of Christmas gifting is totally out of hand. It's actually painful to watch how much some of these kids get spoiled and lord it over those who are less fortunate. There are campaigns on Twitter and Tumblr (which is how I see the Twitter-related stuff) detailing how entitled little shits complain about their gifts. I think it was last year or the year before when some girl posted a selfie of herself sobbing because she got a car but it wasn't the color she wanted. She was "devastated" because they didn't "care enough".

Conspicuous displays are usually something that disgust me, though.

Dapper Reveler

Carbonated Becel 101
Avgvsto

How is not being able to celebrate your religion freedom of religion?

Tipsy Smoker

The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

The whole "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect of Christmas gifting is totally out of hand. It's actually painful to watch how much some of these kids get spoiled and lord it over those who are less fortunate. There are campaigns on Twitter and Tumblr (which is how I see the Twitter-related stuff) detailing how entitled little shits complain about their gifts. I think it was last year or the year before when some girl posted a selfie of herself sobbing because she got a car but it wasn't the color she wanted. She was "devastated" because they didn't "care enough".

I'm kinda on the fence about celebrating holidays. I really really want to for my kids sake. Their first and second birthdays are coming up and Christmas right after. I just really don't want to be persecuted by my family for it though. It kinda makes me sad to hear people complain so much about it when it's an easy choice for them.

Floppy Member

Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

I'm kinda on the fence about celebrating holidays. I really really want to for my kids sake. Their first and second birthdays are coming up and Christmas right after. I just really don't want to be persecuted by my family for it though. It kinda makes me sad to hear people complain so much about it when it's an easy choice for them.

I can imagine this impacts you differently from people who don't have a JW upbringing. Like, it's equally as crappy that your family will s**t on you if you choose to celebrate as it is for the majority of society to disregard that the beliefs of JWs exist and just push the holidays on everyone around them.

How did it affect you as a child not to be permitted to celebrate holidays? I would say that's got to carry a lot of weight with your decision. I know it would with my own when it comes to my kids. That type of cashier I mentioned really irks me. My kid does not need to hear how "good God is" because she got something at the store. I bought that for her, and isn't religion up the parent to teach?

Tipsy Smoker

The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet
The Legendary Guest
Chahklet

I can imagine this impacts you differently from people who don't have a JW upbringing. Like, it's equally as crappy that your family will s**t on you if you choose to celebrate as it is for the majority of society to disregard that the beliefs of JWs exist and just push the holidays on everyone around them.

How did it affect you as a child not to be permitted to celebrate holidays? I would say that's got to carry a lot of weight with your decision. I know it would with my own when it comes to my kids. That type of cashier I mentioned really irks me. My kid does not need to hear how "good God is" because she got something at the store. I bought that for her, and isn't religion up the parent to teach?
It never bothered me as a child. I actually was in agreement with JW teachings. I never felt left out because I got gifts throughout the year. And JW have gatherings and get togethers all the time. I really don't know why I feel like I want to now. Also, I agree that no one should be inputting their religious beliefs in your kid's head. How did you respond?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff