Welcome to Gaia! ::

I AM R U
Silent Mule Man
I AM R U
Silent Mule Man
I AM R U
Silent Mule Man

They shouldn't have kids if they don't understand that it's hard work to raise kids.
CPS can take children away if the essentials aren't being provided.
Kids should still have some respect for what parents go through to raise them. If not as kids, then as adults.

I think that's perhaps a good distinction - as adults, children can respect or perhaps acknowledge what their parents did for them, yes. But speaking in the OP's context (children giving parents attitude and the response being "you have to respect me, I'm your parent" wink the answer is always no - your child does not have to respect you and certainly does not have to respect that you provide the bare minimum in child rearing - things that are required under international law and most domestic laws. Even as adults, children aren't under any obligation to respect their parents for raising them to the standard they are legally required to - a parent isn't worthy of respect merely because they didn't abuse their child...

Learning respect and appreciation is part of growing up. If a child hasn't been told by their parents that they are to be respected, then the parent hasn't taught them a very crucial part of being an adult and has actually failed as a parent.

No, a child should learn, through actions, that their parents is worthy of respect. And if a parents is unable to do that, and is not worthy of respect, then yes, they have actually failed as a parent. But merely saying they should be respected doesn't make it so, and simply being a parent doesn't make them worthy of respect.

What actions do you speak of?

The way they treat others, the way they conduct themselves etc. Not just meeting the bare requirements of being a legally responsible parent, but going 'above and beyond' in the interests of their child... Basically, the same way you would "earn" respect from anyone.

See, that all strikes me as being part of teaching a child which is just another part of the bare minimum required by parents.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Ideally, you should respect your parents. But not everything is ideal and not everyone has ideal parents. I respect my mother because she was a good and loving mother, and I respected my dad, who, while not perfect, did love me. However, if my parents had been abusive and unlvoing, I'd probably not respect them. Basically, respect is the price you pay for having a good parent, meaning a bad one doesn't deserve it IMO
Young King under Heaven
Ideally, you should respect your parents. But not everything is ideal and not everyone has ideal parents. I respect my mother because she was a good and loving mother, and I respected my dad, who, while not perfect, did love me. However, if my parents had been abusive and unlvoing, I'd probably not respect them. Basically, respect is the price you pay for having a good parent, meaning a bad one doesn't deserve it IMO

If you consider respect something you "have to pay" as a "price", then you are doing respect wrong.
I've found that a lot of the time that kids don't 'respect' their parents it's because the parents spoiled them. Our generation are terrible parents, stop handing your child everything to shut them up and maybe they'll appreciate you.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Young King under Heaven

If you consider respect something you "have to pay" as a "price", then you are doing respect wrong.

I mean it's something you owe to your parents for their care of you.
Young King under Heaven
Riviera de la Mancha
Young King under Heaven

I mean it's something you owe to your parents for their care of you.

Respect predicated on care seems messed up to me.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Silent Mule Man
I AM R U
Silent Mule Man
I AM R U
Silent Mule Man

Learning respect and appreciation is part of growing up. If a child hasn't been told by their parents that they are to be respected, then the parent hasn't taught them a very crucial part of being an adult and has actually failed as a parent.

No, a child should learn, through actions, that their parents is worthy of respect. And if a parents is unable to do that, and is not worthy of respect, then yes, they have actually failed as a parent. But merely saying they should be respected doesn't make it so, and simply being a parent doesn't make them worthy of respect.

What actions do you speak of?

The way they treat others, the way they conduct themselves etc. Not just meeting the bare requirements of being a legally responsible parent, but going 'above and beyond' in the interests of their child... Basically, the same way you would "earn" respect from anyone.

See, that all strikes me as being part of teaching a child which is just another part of the bare minimum required by parents.

Fair enough. Either way, merely having children does not entitle one to "respect".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff