Welcome to Gaia! ::

black_wing_angel
Sarkeesian is the only one I have any sort of vested interest in. Specifically because she seeks to demonize the entirety of the video game community, whether casual, hardcore, or whatever else, as misogynist bastards.....and I'm just not ok with that. Especially when her arguments are being pulled out of her a**.

The reaction she got kinda proved that point.
Fermionic
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic

About anything?

I will admit that some of her specific points are not correct but her main points are spot on. Just look at the current issue with Assassings Creed and what the team for Remember Me went through before finding a publisher. Did you know that team was flat out told multiple times that they should make the main character male and they wouldn't be published if they didn't?

Not previously to you informing me, but I think I would probably say that sexism in video games is not the same things as sexism in the market.

Except that one leads to the other. They actually feed off each other greatly. They are intimately intertwined.

But are not the same.

No. I'm not sure about your point. If we talk about one we should really talk about the other.
The20
Mei tsuki7
Drinky Crow IRL
Mei tsuki7

@your other post
It's not sexist to say that men have no real idea about women's issues just like it's not racist to say that white people have no real idea about black people's issues. It's the difference between first hand and second hand knowledge.

Then again, by that logic, you have no idea about the s**t men go through too...

That is very true but at least I try to understand. I'm actually on MRA boards talking to people trying to find out all the issues. Since issues do exist. One of the biggest issues is actually men saying there are no issues. Most men seem to think everything is hunky dory while most women seem to see there are issues.
Wait, issues for whom? Are men saying there are no issues for men but women are saying there are issues for men? Or are women saying there are issues for women?

I've found that a lot of men and some women say there are no issues when it comes to sexism or things of that sort for either sex. Then there are some women and some men that think there are no issues for the opposite sex. I have literally had men say to me that there is no sexism against women in the US. Then there's the women most people know of, the radfems usually, who think there are no issues that men face.
God Emperor Baldur
Mei tsuki7
Sarkeesian is the only one I have any sort of vested interest in. Specifically because she seeks to demonize the entirety of the video game community, whether casual, hardcore, or whatever else, as misogynist bastards.....and I'm just not ok with that. Especially when her arguments are being pulled out of her a**.

Your quote got screwy. BWA said that not me.
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic

About anything?

I will admit that some of her specific points are not correct but her main points are spot on. Just look at the current issue with Assassings Creed and what the team for Remember Me went through before finding a publisher. Did you know that team was flat out told multiple times that they should make the main character male and they wouldn't be published if they didn't?

Not previously to you informing me, but I think I would probably say that sexism in video games is not the same things as sexism in the market.

Except that one leads to the other. They actually feed off each other greatly. They are intimately intertwined.

But are not the same.

No. I'm not sure about your point. If we talk about one we should really talk about the other.

Surely societal prejudice and biological dimorphia influences video game content.
I'm not sure that sexism involved in video games propagates sexism in society. That is an unresolved claim.

That is the issue with much of Sarkeesian's work is that it presumes the truth of the latter. It suffers from the same blame-placing as the numerous attacks on video games relating to violent crime sprees. Most of which were dismissed.
Mei tsuki7
Video game developers are s**t at making realistic women.
Are they any better at making realistic men? Most characters in video games are cardboard cutouts, no matter the gender. The few games that have better characters tend to have better characters of both genders.

Mei tsuki7
They relegate women, usually, to second place positions where their only point is to be saved or look good.
And the overwhelming majority of male characters die. Yeah, that's so much better ...

Mei tsuki7
Plus there's the fact that very, very few games include female leads.
Not this again ...
black_wing_angel
I AM R U
black_wing_angel
Sarkeesian is a snake. Her variety of journalism is right on par with Fox News. I even remember her showcasing a scene from a game where "you have the freedom to beat and kill women, consequence free" in Hitman, even though you get penalized if you do so...

Her entire platform hinges on the ignorance and gullibility of non-gamers. Which is in itself pathetic.

As for the prostitute, just don't read her reviews. Simple as that.

I'm just going to drop this here and hope you read it with an open mind, and mention that Zoe Quinn is NOT a prostitute, and describing her as such is both insulting and ignorant - she didn't do what she has been accused of, and even if she did, such insults should be beneath you. Furthermore, you can disagree with Anita as much as you like - the actions others took against her however were totally uncalled for and should simply never have happened.

Like I said, I've zero investment in the Zoe Quinn thing. I'm just going off of what I've been hearing. And I've heard a lot more "she slept her way to good reviews" than the reverse.
emotion_facepalm

(I like this smiley. It works so much better than words on certain occasions.)
Mei tsuki7
God Emperor Baldur
Mei tsuki7

Your quote got screwy. BWA said that not me.

My bad
Fermionic
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic
Mei tsuki7
Fermionic

But are not the same.

Surely societal prejudice and biological dimorphia influences video game content.
I'm not sure that sexism involved in video games propagates sexism in society. That is an unresolved claim.

That is the issue with much of Sarkeesian's work is that it presumes the truth of the latter. It suffers from the same blame-placing as the numerous attacks on video games relating to violent crime sprees. Most of which were dismissed.

Video games are just another form of media and media definitely propagates sexism in society. It propagates prejudiced of all kinds and is a huge influence of people even if they don't realize it.
The20
Mei tsuki7
Are they any better at making realistic men? Most characters in video games are cardboard cutouts, no matter the gender. The few games that have better characters tend to have better characters of both genders.

Mei tsuki7
They relegate women, usually, to second place positions where their only point is to be saved or look good.
And the overwhelming majority of male characters die. Yeah, that's so much better ...

Mei tsuki7
Not this again ...

They're better at realistic men then women. That's the issue. A lot of the time they don't even seem to try when it comes to women.

An equal percentage of male and female characters die I'd say. Especially since female character death is a hugely overused plot device.

Yes this again because it's a problem.
Mei tsuki7
The20
Mei tsuki7

Mei tsuki7

Mei tsuki7
Not this again ...

They're better at realistic men then women. That's the issue. A lot of the time they don't even seem to try when it comes to women.
Can you provide a few examples of realistic men?

Mei tsuki7
An equal percentage of male and female characters die I'd say. Especially since female character death is a hugely overused plot device.
Nazis. No really, male Nazis. So many of them are killed in games there is NO way females can get even close.

Mei tsuki7
I'm playing a lot of RTS, they tend to not specify your gender at all. Or space sims that don't say what you are. Or RPGs where you can select it yourself. Or Sim City, Anno, stuff like that. Of the games i did play that did ... well, most were shooters.
So ... are you saying women are not represented enough as bloodthirsty, brainless killing machines?
Mei tsuki7
The20
Mei tsuki7

Mei tsuki7

Mei tsuki7
Not this again ...

Prove it. Prove that this is a problem and not that you just happen to find it one. As it turns out, quite a few people do not find it to be a problem.

I'll give you a problem: we have an entire demographic of SJW Twitter feminist special snowflakes that actually believe that the entire video game industry has a moral obligation to cater directly to them. It doesn't.

Just putting that out there.

The video game industry has no obligation to cater to you. If you, for whatever reason, dislike the content that video game companies put out, you have the recourse to not buy it, and not play it.

I happen to think it's a problem that you feel you have some kind of right to impose upon me what I should and should not enjoy in my own home and in my own life because you think it's a problem that I enjoy certain things.

You simply have no place dictating to me, or for that matter anybody else, what kind of media I enjoy or why. You are not my moral arbiter. Go take your normative, Jack Thompsonesque hogwash and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Get over yourself.
Yeah, those gamergates... oh, wait.

Anyhoo, the idea of "buying good reviews" is nothing new. The idea of using sex to do so is nothing new. Pound Sign Gamer Gate would have been nothing but a footnote ten years ago, perhaps even five; just some quarrel between exes, a bit of drama, and the world turns. The only reason it's the cause du jour is the manner and extent to which the "social justice war" is being fought currently.

Mei tsuki7

You'd be surprised.

Hallowed Wench

Mei tsuki7

Make games yourself then. If someone wants to create a form of media a way they envision, who are we to censor them in regards of our personal taste and feelings on the subject. Don't like their product don't buy it.
Mei tsuki7

Okay, name some games with this as a plot device. I wanna see just how "overused" this is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff