Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 12, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 >

Lost city of Atlantis 'found in Mediterranean'
November 16, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Images from the seabed ... the supposed ruins of Atlantis lying at the bottom of the Mediterranean, as seen by computer and released by Robert Sarmast.
Photo: AP

A US researcher claims he has discovered the lost civilisation of Atlantis off Cyprus.

Robert Sarmast says a Mediterranean basin was flooded in a deluge about 9000 BC that submerged a rectangular site he believes was Atlantis. It lies 1500 metres below sea level, 80 kilometres off the south-eastern coast of Cyprus.

"We have definitely found it," Mr Sarmast said.

Deepwater sonar scanning had indicated man-made structures on a submerged hill, including a wall three kilometres long, a walled hill summit and deep trenches.

"We cannot yet provide tangible proof in the form of bricks and mortar, as the artefacts are still buried under several metres of sediment, but the circumstantial and other evidence is irrefutable," Mr Sarmast said.

Whether and where Atlantis existed has captured imaginations for centuries. Plato said Atlantis was an island nation where an advanced civilisation developed 11,500 years ago.

Theories abound as to why it disappeared. Some say Atlantis was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster, but according to Greek mythology the civilisation was so corrupted by greed and power that it was destroyed by God.

Sceptics believe Atlantis was a figment of Plato's imagination.

Mr Sarmast says he was led to Cyprus by clues in Plato's dialogues. Plato's reference to Atlantis lying opposite the Pillars of Hercules, which are believed to be the Straits of Gibraltar, have led explorers to focus on either the Atlantic Ocean, Ireland or the Azores off Portugal.

"People who dismiss this have not really done their homework," Mr Sarmast said.

"Sceptics don't really understand. To understand the enigma of Atlantis you have to have good knowledge of ancient history, biblical references, the Sumerian culture and their tablets and so on."
Gets found a lot, doesn't it? Why, just a few months ago some scientists found it buried under the ground due to earthquakes and the shifting of the ground as well as sliding fault lines. I do hope this is it though. For one reason only. If it is, we can finaly stop giving a s**t and stop wasting money looking for something so stupid. Finding it isn't going to advance us in any way.
Hm. That's true. We could, but we don't. If anything, I definitely think it would be found by the Mediterranean Sea, although I doubt that it has any true signifigance. It seems to hold alot of similarity to Greek culture anyways, the Greeks were quite an advanced civilization.
I thought it was already established that the "Atlantians" were Minoans.
If they found antlantis, then how did Homer live there. plus if they did they would have to cancel Stargate Antlantis!
Naba_Frenzie
plus if they did they would have to cancel Stargate Antlantis!

stare Oh, the dissapointment.
What is the original source of this article?

7,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
Naba_Frenzie
If they found antlantis, then how did Homer live there. plus if they did they would have to cancel Stargate Antlantis!

That is just too funny. lol

If Atlantis really did exist I don't think their culture will be a whole lot like the Greek society. In the myth it's said they had flying machines. So they would have surpassed the Greeks by far.

I find the story of Atlantis very interesting. If it truely does exist I'd love to see what they find. I'm sure that it will be the find of a century.
TheRealCitizen
Gets found a lot, doesn't it? Why, just a few months ago some scientists found it buried under the ground due to earthquakes and the shifting of the ground as well as sliding fault lines. I do hope this is it though. For one reason only. If it is, we can finaly stop giving a s**t and stop wasting money looking for something so stupid. Finding it isn't going to advance us in any way.

You obviously don't know the first thing about Archaeology.
One theory has it that the sunken island of Thera, which was located between Crete and Africa (very roughly) was the 'merchant civilization' of Atlantis.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure. A lot of sunken ruins have been located, with evidence of a civilization equalling those of the time it is believed to come from.

Or, maybe, Atlantis is somewhere in a deep ocean trench, a thriving underwater metropolis.

biggrin
It have been found alot of citys underwater. just so you now that.
we do seem to find it a lot for a lost city don't we xd

personally I think their are to many city's buried under water to be certin this is atlantis.

though it woul be cool
sam-ri

personally I think their are to many city's buried under water to be certin this is atlantis.

though it woul be cool
Well you can't find something if it's not lost. Now can you?
Did anyone hear about the huge massive pyramid from 4 different civilizations was discoverd 600 meters under the ice in the north pole! xd
Maze1125
sam-ri

though it woul be cool
Well you can't find something if it's not lost. Now can you?

good point

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces