Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mind you, I'm not saying you can get what you want by just thinking about it alone, but do you believe thinking positively somehow boosts you closer to getting what you want?

I've been out of work for months and have been doing everything I can to find a good job. Each and every day, I put in applications all over the place, and for months I've been getting nowhere. I was feeling down all the time, so I decided to try to give myself thoughts of encouragement to at least feel better.

"This isn't forever!"
"You'll find something soon!"
"Someone out there wants to hire you."

I started to view the job search as an adventure, if you will. I'm telling myself that I'm going to find a new job, and when I do, I'm going to be happier when I have more money coming in than out, and I'm going to get to meet and help new people every day. Since I've been thinking this way, I've been feeling less sad and less like a failure. I still don't have a job, but you know what? I've been getting emails and calls for interviews, and that just encourages more positive thoughts, and for the first time in a while, I feel like I'm actually going to have a job soon.

So...what are your thoughts? I know positive thinking works for me now. I haven't been this happy in a while. Is there a science or psychology behind positive thinking? Can positive thinking really help steer you towards what you want? (Again, I'm not trying to say positive thinking alone gets you anywhere. You have to be willing to do the work yourself too.)

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
Yes but it is limited, and only works if you believe it. Even just a little.
-Kali-La-Fae-

Do you think it can be explained? Or do you know if it has been explained?

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-

What I mean is your mind has amazing powers over your body that can't even be comprehended.
But unless you actually believe your mind doesn't work it's magic because it is powered by logic.

...I don't think that helps though.
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-

What I mean is your mind has amazing powers over your body that can't even be comprehended.
But unless you actually believe your mind doesn't work it's magic because it is powered by logic.

Haha, I think I might get what you are saying.
It's actually hard work to stay positive, and I guess you can say that I'm retraining my mind. Every time I start to think negatively about my job search, I kind of force myself to think good thoughts and think about all the strengths I have to offer and I go right back to looking for jobs lol.

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-

It's actually hard work to stay positive, and I guess you can say that I'm retraining my mind. Every time I start to think negatively about my job search, I kind of force myself to think good thoughts and think about all the strengths I have to offer and I go right back to looking for jobs lol.

It's hard. Even someone like me with almost a decade of experience has trouble finding a job in my field that makes me a living wage.
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-

It's hard. Even someone like me with almost a decade of experience has trouble finding a job in my field that makes me a living wage.

It is, but we just have to keep going. We have to continue to look until we find that particular job that the supervisor recognizes our skills. It will get better. smile

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-

It is, but we just have to keep going. We have to continue to look until we find that particular job that the supervisor recognizes our skills. It will get better. smile

And then worse.
And then rum. rum helps.
a LOT!
well sort of

i'm not sure about the whole 'it gets you closer to your goals' because you have to depend a lot on the outside world for that

but at least it helps you cope with the crap life you lead until you do accomplish something

i guess

idk

but i believe it can be very powerful in that you can feel content and happy about being you and forgiving yourself and being thankful for your life

but i hear people say 'only you can create your reality' and 'your happiness all depends on you' but then i also heard someone say they worked in a suicide hotline and he felt most people were pretty spot on about their perception of things....lol

like how can you trust anyone who hasn't been depressed, because the world is awful...sort of thing...

idk what my point is
-Kali-La-Fae-
Robotic lalanono
-Kali-La-Fae-

i agree with this
Yes because pessimism can result in resignation and resignation can be very dangerous.

Greedy Consumer

Can the impossible be obtained, or can it not?
That is positive vs negative. Risking for greater goals.
Sometimes though positivity is stupid though, like, toelrating abuse or adverse conditions for logner durations than one should.
No-Mi-Jutsu-Yu
Sometimes though positivity is stupid though, like, toelrating abuse or adverse conditions for logner durations than one should.

Um...what?

Greedy Consumer

Robotic lalanono
No-Mi-Jutsu-Yu

Um...what?
lol
For instance.
Idk I suppose on second thought abusive relationships have little bearing on examples.

Positivity can cause overly cockyness to the point of making mistakes via wishful thinking though and confirmation bias.
Otherwise its good I suppose.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces