Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Reveler

Industry and trade can exist with or without government. Government can not exist without industry or trade. Industry earns value, Government takes and uses that value. Any power the government has is a privilege, that industry has is an earning.

I don't really understand why Hobby Lobby feels it ought to offer any contraceptive methods at all. If I were running the company and heard this from the president, "Today’s decision jeopardizes the health of women who are employed by these companies,” I would of have retorted, "I apologize you feel this way, as we are concerned about 'jeopardizing' women's health and general well being in relation to the work environment here we may take it upon ourselves to no longer hire women to save them the trouble of our hostile and humiliating environment. Further, if government is better suited to provide for and understand what is best to be provided for them, then perhaps it is best for women to be on welfare rather than our hazardous environment." Perhaps then I'd have every woman sign that they prefer having their job there than government benefits in order to continue working there.

"Of course, the corporate executive is also a person in his own right. As a person, he may have many other responsibilities that he rec­ognizes or assumes voluntarily–to his family, his conscience, his feelings of charity, his church, his clubs, his city, his country. He ma}. feel impelled by these responsibilities to de­vote part of his income to causes he regards as worthy, to refuse to work for particular corpo­rations, even to leave his job, for example, to join his country's armed forces. Ifwe wish, we may refer to some of these responsibilities as "social responsibilities." But in these respects he is acting as a principal, not an agent; he is spending his own money or time or energy, not the money of his employers or the time or energy he has contracted to devote to their purposes. If these are "social responsibili­ties," they are the social responsibilities of in­dividuals, not of business."

Dapper Reveler

Quick exception, government's power is also an earning if won through conquest. If it is your belief that they ought to earn right over private property you are suggesting conquest of that property, or more bluntly war. That is no longer discussion but declaration of war.
Avgvsto
Quick exception, government's power is also an earning if won through conquest. If it is your belief that they ought to earn right over private property you are suggesting conquest of that property, or more bluntly war. That is no longer discussion but declaration of war.

The social contract is invalid because I have no functional choice to leave AND I was never asked for my consent.

Therefore, war has been declared on me as the only other way power can be claimed is conquest. This applies to everyone else who cannot afford to leave the country.

Dapper Reveler

conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto

The social contract is invalid because I have no functional choice to leave AND I was never asked for my consent.

Therefore, war has been declared on me as the only other way power can be claimed is conquest. This applies to everyone else who cannot afford to leave the country.
Lack of resistance is consent.

Dapper Member

Avgvsto
conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto

I am glad you have settled the rape debate. Hear that guys, if they they don't resist you can persist. Good to know.

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Defenestrate Windows Too

Was thinking the exact same thing. >_<
Avgvsto
conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto

Yeah, what the ********? When that guy said it like that, I forgot what the topic was, and read in that context, yeah, no, ******** no. It shouldn't be like that in anything! Nothing at all! Stay the ******** out of my life!

Dapper Reveler

conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto
conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto

Yeah, what the ********? When that guy said it like that, I forgot what the topic was, and read in that context, yeah, no, ******** no. It shouldn't be like that in anything! Nothing at all! Stay the ******** out of my life!
If you really don't endorse your government be Emerson.

Dapper Reveler

Defenestrate Windows Too
Avgvsto
conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto

I am glad you have settled the rape debate. Hear that guys, if they they don't resist you can persist. Good to know.
If afterward you allow the "rapist" to buy you things live with you supply you with a lively hood, then yes lack of resistance and self reliance is consent. That is the way of politics, a surrender is an endorsement of the stronger party- and although there can be heavy loses it doesn't mean that there must be surrender. The act of calling something "rape" and denying the perpetrators role in their life is resistance itself.
Avgvsto
Industry and trade can exist with or without government. Government can not exist without industry or trade. Industry earns value, Government takes and uses that value. Any power the government has is a privilege, that industry has is an earning.

I don't really understand why Hobby Lobby feels it ought to offer any contraceptive methods at all. If I were running the company and heard this from the president, "Today’s decision jeopardizes the health of women who are employed by these companies,” I would of have retorted, "I apologize you feel this way, as we are concerned about 'jeopardizing' women's health and general well being in relation to the work environment here we may take it upon ourselves to no longer hire women to save them the trouble of our hostile and humiliating environment. Further, if government is better suited to provide for and understand what is best to be provided for them, then perhaps it is best for women to be on welfare rather than our hazardous environment." Perhaps then I'd have every woman sign that they prefer having their job there than government benefits in order to continue working there.

"Of course, the corporate executive is also a person in his own right. As a person, he may have many other responsibilities that he rec­ognizes or assumes voluntarily–to his family, his conscience, his feelings of charity, his church, his clubs, his city, his country. He ma}. feel impelled by these responsibilities to de­vote part of his income to causes he regards as worthy, to refuse to work for particular corpo­rations, even to leave his job, for example, to join his country's armed forces. Ifwe wish, we may refer to some of these responsibilities as "social responsibilities." But in these respects he is acting as a principal, not an agent; he is spending his own money or time or energy, not the money of his employers or the time or energy he has contracted to devote to their purposes. If these are "social responsibili­ties," they are the social responsibilities of in­dividuals, not of business."

Its highly debatable whether even industry can exist without the government. Its been pretty much settled that trade cannot exist without government. Government really just needs the consent of the governed (whether voluntary or involuntarily) and resources.

The better question to ask though is what will protect people and the environment from trade and industry.

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."----Thomas Jefferson

“I see in the near future a crisis ... that... causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.” -----Abraham Lincoln

Our Founding Fathers and subsequent leaders were keenly aware of the dangers of corporations and trade on the democratic process. Even if someone buys that corporations and trade don't need government, the people certainly need government to ensure their freedom and processes from industry and trade.
Avgvsto
conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto
conconconcrete wall
Avgvsto

If you really don't endorse your government be Emerson.

As in Ralph Waldo? What did he do again? His name is often mentioned alongside Thoreau's.
Riviera de la Mancha

Our Founding Fathers and subsequent leaders were keenly aware of the dangers of corporations and trade on the democratic process. Even if someone buys that corporations and trade don't need government, the people certainly need government to ensure their freedom and processes from industry and trade.

Given that government intends to protect industry and trade from freedom and processes, instead of how it probably was intended to work, what should we do?
conconconcrete wall
Riviera de la Mancha

Given that government intends to protect industry and trade from freedom and processes, instead of how it probably was intended to work, what should we do?

Government doesn't intend that because the government is not a single uni-mind entity. Sit in on an actual bill hearing.

What has happened though is that business interests weigh heavy in legislative discussions, and businesses, by design, do not care about general consensus or what is in the best interest of the community.
Riviera de la Mancha
conconconcrete wall
Riviera de la Mancha

Government doesn't intend that because the government is not a single uni-mind entity. Sit in on an actual bill hearing.

What has happened though is that business interests weigh heavy in legislative discussions, and businesses, by design, do not care about general consensus or what is in the best interest of the community.

Goddamnit, I've explained the setup to you before. It goes like this.
Surface loyalties (Party, constituents) < Hidden loyalties (Private agendas, lobbyists, corporate backers)

Given the opportunity to do so low-profile, a congressman or woman will vote based on his hidden loyalties 100% of the time. However, since they are regularly subjected to some form or another of scrutiny, this is impossible, and a congressman will spend enough time catering to the conflicts and ideals of his surface loyalties to make any deviation from that plan look like personal opinion.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
The Government paid for the entrepreneurs education.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff