Welcome to Gaia! ::

I made a thread a few months ago about police abusing their powers. More so, I'm disturbed they've been given such powers to begin with. I'm disturbed the government has given itself the authority to read peoples' texts, phone calls, emails, and to intercept computers delivered to people so they can install back doors in the software.

From the patriot act to NDAA to PIPA to SOPA, the government uses "security" as an excuse to take away your rights, to lock up individuals not suspected of a crime without trial or charge.

Protestors getting raped, arrested for filming police, having their equipment destroyed by police, being stripped against their will, forced to suffer naked in a cold cell. Often innocents are unjustly imprisoned and made to suffer, sometimes dying while prison guards laugh at them.

When cops beat a woman on camera, or shove a woman's head into a wall, they're given a paid vacation while the public is told of an "investigation" that goes nowhere despite video evidence.

http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/1hif1e/list_of_concrete_actions_you_can_take_against_the/

Of course, some people will steadfastly refuse to accept that America is not an exceptional nation. Our humans are just as flawed and amoral as any other. Power corrupts, it brings out the worst, and theocrats and nationalists will claim that America is a Christian nation with nothing to apologize for, despite assassinating democratically elected officials across the globe to replace them with puppet dictators.

Since before WW1 we colonized other nations and made ourselves an empire, then after ww2 we grew in the Cold War to become the most powerful empire the world has ever seen, and committed atrocities the likes of which can only be compared to the worst league.

Burning to death innocent men, women, and children, while the masses callus and heartless as they are will ridicule those we slay as ignorant children disobeying their mother, thinking America is a shining city on a hill, but being so angered that another nation dare disagree with our sick activities the world over.

Now my fear is 3fold:

1) America pulls a holocaust. Soldiers come into citizens' homes like they did after a the Boston Marathon, and lock everyone up in prisons, moving them as quickly as they can to remote locations where they'll be worked to death.

2) World War all over again. We have a superior military than the next 10 combined and they're mostly allied to us. But what about when the entire world is allied to either America or Russia if they're not going to be entirely irrelevant? Many nations are probably quite angry with America, I doubt most of South America would rather side with us than the Russians. I can see their reasonable anger being turned into blind rage and slaying innocent little schoolchildren. If my own government won't kill me, will it be their enemies? Starvation?

3) A future ruled by few entities, or perhaps even just one monarch. Would there be power struggles? Some freedom fighters ehre and there? Maybe, but it's still not what I hope for.

My hope, however, is as great as my fear.

Germany may not be perfect, but it seems to have come a long way since its brutal day of genocide. The masses take forever to rise against their tyrants and bite the claw that feeds, and they often fail at first when they do, but eventually every empire yet has fallen and been replaced by opportunity and growth after bloodshed.

People like Bradley Manning, Edward Snowden, and Julian Assange give me hope in individuals who can turn the tide. There were American soldiers who fired on other American soldiers in Vietnam to keep them from killing innocent villagers, officers who were locked up because thye pointed out police abuses.

It may take great suffering and there may times of great hopelessness, but by the end it will be a great world to live in, amongst the stars with no hunger, torture, or slavery, but rather filled with individual power to know, to experience, to travel. This is my goal for humanity, my hope for the universe, and the side I wish to fight on.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
None of the things you mentioned qualify as genocide

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
No. America is not on the threshold of a genocide.
******** off, you privileged whiney entitled white person.
Your "atrocities" are ******** pale in comparison to anything even vaguely approaching genocide.
The crimes of your nation are positively banal.

The only inexcusable crime your nation has committed is that it hasn't learned to be better.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Faustine Liem

I LOVE a bit of Ella.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
CuAnnan
I LOVE a bit of Ella.

I thought it was the best thing to post for this. I can find more.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Despite the very heated discussion I've just had with my partner, I am in two minds as to whether the 1.5 million people who died in the Great Hunger qualify it for the term genocide.

That is 1.5 million deaths as a result of a set of policies a government employed.
And that might not count.

And here you are, clearly middle class and realtively educated and literate bitching about your shitty poorly implemented nearly-a-police state committing genocide?

Get. The. ********. Over. Yourself.
CuAnnan
Your "atrocities" are ******** pale in comparison to anything even vaguely approaching genocide.

The only inexcusable crime your nation has committed is that it hasn't learned to be better.

I'm reminded of the article "How to Kill: Are Afrikan [sic] People Subjects of a Genocidal Plot?" appearing in Apocalypse Culture. Two people are interviewed about the subject, one answering yes, the other answering no. The interesting thing about it is the latter person doesn't wind up looking all that more sensible than the first one!

Fanatical Zealot

Yes.

Two of them.
CuAnnan

So the trail of tears never happened?

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
God Emperor Baldur

So the black plague never happened? Don't be stupid and cite something that happened because of racism and white people being dicks. Also this was what? A hundred years ago? Do you want me to site sources a hundred years old to prove the NWO is in control of the world?

Timid Wife

No. But Spetsnaz units having a rap battle in Chechnya before going on patrol is a chilling reminder that human rights abuses and violations are on par with the feeling of sublime experiences.
Genocide....

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
God Emperor Baldur
CuAnnan

Context implies I am referring to present tense.
Perhaps I should have made that more explicit.
However, I will grant you the trail of tears with no context.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff