Welcome to Gaia! ::

GunsmithKitten
Riviera de la Mancha

1.) "Its unfair that only they get a month and not other people."

FALSE. I can't put it any more simply than that- its patently untrue that there is only Black History Month.

Should you ever need a list of every culture/minority that has their own history month or week, just let me know. wink I keep one around just for the white supremacist types..

Post it and I will copypasta.
bluerain202
What I don't like about it are 2 main aspects. One, the majority of children's books about the civil rights movements dumbs down the entire thing and makes it seem like there were only around 5 black people who stood up for themselves while everyone else was a sheep- it doesn't give credit to organizational power. The poor quality of the literature makes the mandatory february reading material a total drag. Wish they did have suggestions for books about african civilizations. (I'm only mentioning all this because black history month sort of becomes irrelevant post-highschool)
Two, there's always a polarizing aspect that is reinforced by naming it "black" (vs. white), without the footnote that people shouldn't really be considered by skin color (racist, no?). I get the whole black empowerment thing, but black americans include those who have slaves as ancestors, recent african immigrants, blacks from the carribean, and black latinos from other parts of the Americas...as easily as how white people are looped into being ex.slave-owner descendants, we should recognize diversity in ancestry if heritage is going be important (one of the more annoying aspects is when people are called black, but their mixture put them at a higher class advantage).
As well, indigenous people are never recognized and they got majorly ******** over by the english, but perhaps we're still in denial about that?

To your first comment, you answered it on your own; 'children's literature.' Since when has children's literature articulated complex ideas like this accurately? Additionally, there is a TON of quality literature out there that is very interesting to read. Don't take it out on the month that your teachers gave you junky stuff.

Do you think this "polarizing fact" is not always present in society anyways? As a person of color, allow me to put your fears to rest; I know I am dark skinned. I would be very shocked if you were not aware of this fact were I to see you on the street. I see nothing scandalizing in this fact. Rather, it is how people process differences which makes it an issue, not the difference itself.

Are you kidding? indigenous people are totally recognized. Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it never happens.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
low iq 111
i don't really see that many people complaining though
User Image

User Image
What was the whole point of posting those? I'm genuinely curious.

edit:
Unamusement Park’s Official Position on Bein’ All Racis’ an’ s**t

Nov 12th, 2012 by Unamused

What does one say when one is accused of being a big ol’ racis’? Only the truth, ladies and gentlemen. Only the truth.
•“I’m not racist. Racism is a crime, and crime is something Jamaicans and Mexicans do.” (H/T)
•“I’m not racist. I just believe there are important racial differences in how urgently some people need to be sterilized.”
•“I’m not racist. I just believe there are important racial differences in how much I want to ship your black a** back to Ooga-Booga land.”
•“I’m not racist. I just have a perfectly normal, natural preference for people who don’t have slanty eyes and big lips and greasy hair and gross-looking skin and bones through their noses and eat tacos all the time.”
•“I’m not racist. I have friends from all different races, even though some of them smell really bad and are always stealing my stuff, like the Gypsies.”
•“I’m not racist. Some of my best friends are niggers.”
•“I’m not racist. I believe there’s only one race: the human race.
And Chinese aren’t included.”

•“I’m not racist. I believe there’s only one race:
The Aryan race.”

•“Hey, if wanting to gas all the Jews to death in concentration camps makes me some kind of ‘racist’, then gee, I guess I’m a biiiiiiig ‘racist’.”
•“Yeah, well, they called Hitler racist, too.”

“Official Positions” is the ‘Park’s never-ending series of pronouncements on OFFICIAL ‘PARK DOCTRINE, to which all ‘Park rangers/hate-kittens must subscribe on pain of EXCOMMUNICATION.

THAT came from unamusement park, such a biased site is one of your sources?

Familiar Friend

Booty Tickle
low iq 111
User Image

User Image

edit:

What does one say when one is accused of being a big ol’ racis’? Only the truth, ladies and gentlemen. Only the truth.
•“I’m not racist. Racism is a crime, and crime is something Jamaicans and Mexicans do.” (H/T)
•“I’m not racist. I just believe there are important racial differences in how urgently some people need to be sterilized.”
•“I’m not racist. I just believe there are important racial differences in how much I want to ship your black a** back to Ooga-Booga land.”
•“I’m not racist. I just have a perfectly normal, natural preference for people who don’t have slanty eyes and big lips and greasy hair and gross-looking skin and bones through their noses and eat tacos all the time.”
•“I’m not racist. I have friends from all different races, even though some of them smell really bad and are always stealing my stuff, like the Gypsies.”

The Aryan race.”

•“Hey, if wanting to gas all the Jews to death in concentration camps makes me some kind of ‘racist’, then gee, I guess I’m a biiiiiiig ‘racist’.”

“Official Positions” is the ‘Park’s never-ending series of pronouncements on OFFICIAL ‘PARK DOCTRINE, to which all ‘Park rangers/hate-kittens must subscribe on pain of EXCOMMUNICATION.

it's interesting to me and relates to the topic, haha

that looks like a joke. i don't think you can say that proves they are wrong. isn't that an ad hominem?

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
low iq 111
Booty Tickle
low iq 111
User Image

User Image

edit:

The Aryan race.”

that looks like a joke. i don't think you can say that proves they are wrong. isn't that an ad hominem?
He has "jokes" like that all over his website. What is to say that the picture yu posted isn't a joke?
The20
YahuShalum
Jacque De Molay
YahuShalum
Jacque De Molay
What books do you recommend?
Anything on ancient Egypt? (I am almost 100% certain they had more melanin in their skin then the people in Egypt right now.) I wonder if they have history about the aboriginals in America and their tribes before the Europeans came over. Seems all we hear is about cowboys and indians just like we only hear about Africans after slavery.
Aren't the Ancient Egyptians descendants of the Mesopotamians and not Black Africans? I don't think the ancient Egyptians looked like me at all.
Wait you're right. I had to look at the art of the time back then... I could have sworn they were darker then that... Well then hmmm... There has to be books about Ancient Africa right?
You may be thinking of Nubia?
Yup haha. That's the art I was thinking about! Thanks!

Familiar Friend

Booty Tickle
low iq 111
Booty Tickle
low iq 111
User Image

User Image

edit:

The Aryan race.”

He has "jokes" like that all over his website. What is to say that the picture yu posted isn't a joke?

you can't see the difference between a statement that provides a lot of statistical evidence and a stretched allegory? why would you even go to the source anyway? it's like you are looking for ad hominems when what you should be doing is attacking the information at hand.

Fanatical Zealot

I think it's silly, and I think we ought to remove it as an official thing because, it's silly.

And racist; we're all people, it's American history, it's world history.

That's all there is to it.

Teach it, talk about it, of course, but to isolate based off of a person's skin color is only going to put a larger wedge in the divide, if anything.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
low iq 111
Booty Tickle
low iq 111
Booty Tickle
low iq 111
User Image

User Image

edit:

The Aryan race.”

you can't see the difference between a statement that provides a lot of statistical evidence and a stretched allegory? why would you even go to the source anyway? it's like you are looking for ad hominems when what you should be doing is attacking the information at hand.
Curious if it was a reputable site any nothing he says has citations. For all I know he could be using information from 1950.

Fanatical Zealot

It's not that there aren't different kinds of cats.

It's that you're saying the black cat with more of white splotches is so different from the black cat with more rounded white splotches.

Give it a rest.

There's hardly enough genetic deviation to be classified as another race just based on color.

Neanderthals? Maybe. Cromagnum man? Sure. Bigfoot? Probably. Chupacabra? Sketchy. Early prime ates; I suppose. Sasquatch? Of course. Aliens? Obviously.

But, "black" people? Not really. There's so much evidence of this it's really quite astounding.

You're going to confine the entire history of black people to a month; you mean every day, every week, every year, of every moment, they don't exist, didn't exist?

Well okay then. I think racist white people felt bad so they tried to give stuff to "the blacks" and now they're more racist than before.

Ruthless Strawberry

Most countries had slaves...or indentured servants. And hell there are still slaves in the black market..

I don't have white guilt though we were taught to have it..I believe racism is only racism if the majority are stupid enough to let it get under your skin. I've been the victim of Racism because I'm white, I just see it as people who are insecure about who they are.

All ethnics had great people and minds. If America wants to feel guilty then let the majority feel guilty. Honestly every black person I've met just doesn't care about black history month...it's just a month to them. Really it seems only us white people care about black history month from what i've seen.

Personally I hate free handouts. I've gone homeless for a few days rather then take government help or funny money. I do see Black history month as a way to say "White people look what you did never forget you horrible people" I mean I'm using upfront words with that but how my teachers presented this month they might as well have just said that. Hell my family came to America from Ireland after American Slavery so for all I care my past hands are clean and we set up shop in Oregon and Colorado

SO IF YOU DON"T WANT TO READ THE CRAP UP ABOVE THIS READ UNDERTHIS.

I think history lessons should be more well rounded around all great past figures that built this country...and we need more world history classes.. not a two week fling in highschool..

And if the majority want this month ok fine I don't care. Racism is racism if you use hate towards a person.. so yah I like racist jokes because everything should be open subject matter.

Ruthless Strawberry

Suicidesoldier#1

It's that you're saying the black cat with more of white splotches is so different from the black cat with more rounded white splotches.

Give it a rest.

There's hardly enough genetic deviation to be classified as another race just based on color.

Neanderthals? Maybe. Cromagnum man? Sure. Sasquatch? Probably. Chupacabra? Sketchy. Early prime ates; I suppose. Humanoid fire people? Of course. Aliens? Obviously.

But, "black" people? Not really. There's so much evidence of this it's really quite astounding.
Exactly.. Melanin doesn't mean your a different race.. .I have less melanin because I'm made for cloudly less sunny climates so I can absorb more sun..you have more Melanin if you live in a sunnier hotter climate because you need more sun protection...Hell I've had black friends laugh about how us white people burn in the sun...Jeeze at least we don't sparkle in the sun.

Fanatical Zealot

desertpunk
Suicidesoldier#1

Give it a rest.

Neanderthals? Maybe. Cromagnum man? Sure. Sasquatch? Probably. Chupacabra? Sketchy. Early prime ates; I suppose. Humanoid fire people? Of course. Aliens? Obviously.

Exactly.. Melanin doesn't mean your a different race.. .I have less melanin because I'm made for cloudly less sunny climates so I can absorb more sun..you have more Melanin if you live in a sunnier hotter climate because you need more sun protection...Hell I've had black friends laugh about how us white people burn in the sun...Jeeze at least we don't sparkle in the sun.

Even crazier, it's believed that white people began in Africa. O_o

So for whatever reason, larger ozone in that area, it developed before they even left. O_o

Not to mention it changes as a result of the sun! O_O;!

Fanatical Zealot

You're going to judge my race on factors that change as a direct result of the environment; like say, the inescapable presence of the sun's effect of the earth.

Some now my genes are changing? I'm a completely different animal?

Well okay then.

You got me.

Ruthless Strawberry

Suicidesoldier#1

Even crazier, it's believed that white people began in Africa. O_o

So for whatever reason, larger ozone in that area, it developed before they even left. O_o

Not to mention it changes as a result of the sun! O_O;!
I don't think it's crazy white people came from africa Science thinks it and says they have proof so until some other new discovery says we came from a giant mayo jar I'll go along.

And to your other post I never said the sun is what makes you, you but it's a reason for Melanin which a lot makes you darker and less makes you whiter..thats all..

And Melanin is genetic..and evolution doesn't work that fast you learn that in a place called school. Darwin awards are awarded for a reason.

EDIT:
If you read back on the first post I commented on you, you will see if you reread you post I was agreeing that something as trivial as Melanin doesn't make a person a different race.. your part of the Human race so am I...I was saying you were right that color doesn't matter..

and scientific proof has shown through Darwin's research.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff