Welcome to Gaia! ::

I would like to bring up the not so latest thing in Internet culture that I feel has begun to really take advantage of some damaged people.

How many people think these things are necessarily real? Or even common? I must confess In my own circle of friends it's become like pandemic. Which leads me to wonder if these identities have become fashionable or trendy, or even just a crutch for some people who want something else in their lives.

By crutch I mean, it's much more psychologically gratifying to say "I'm Asexual," then admit "I'm a 23 year old cosplayer who never wants to leave my parents house or do anything but go to Conventions and pretend to be anime/comic book characters."

Demisexuality, seems to strike me as just a normal person inventing an identity for what is otherwise a normal person lacking the self confidence for intimacy.

Sorry if this is an offensive topic, I simply am on tumblr way too much.
Jessi Danger
I would like to bring up the not so latest thing in Internet culture that I feel has begun to really take advantage of some damaged people.

Trolling isn't new. 2/10.

Blessed Raider

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
I think it's a product of post-modernism and individualism. Post-modernism means post-excess, which means everything has been done before so our culture is always mass producing new ideas so we do not stagnate, this plus individualism means people clinging to new and interesting ideas because it's hard to stand out in a society where everyone is trying to stand out.
Tiberius_The_Space_Viking
I think it's a product of post-modernism and individualism. Post-modernism means post-excess, which means everything has been done before so our culture is always mass producing new ideas so we do not stagnate, this plus individualism means people clinging to new and interesting ideas because it's hard to stand out in a society where everyone is trying to stand out.

That is a pretty novel explanation. I like it.

I guess this makes a lot more sense then the alternatives. To some degree I felt it was a way to try and stand out. Making it just another trend. On a more personal level it strikes me as a crutch, a way of being something other then just some garden variety geek.
I think it a product of an availability of information for people who wish to have a means of expression for their contemporary feelings.
Fermionic
I think it a product of an availability of information for people who wish to have a means of expression for their contemporary feelings.

Shouldn't people though have professionals diagnose this stuff? I mean?

Isn't it a tad unsettling how much of this is "I read a tumblr blog about it..... HEY ME TOO!"

Blessed Raider

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
Jessi Danger
Tiberius_The_Space_Viking

That is a pretty novel explanation. I like it.

I guess this makes a lot more sense then the alternatives. To some degree I felt it was a way to try and stand out. Making it just another trend. On a more personal level it strikes me as a crutch, a way of being something other then just some garden variety geek.

Yeah, I could understand that. I met a girl that hit on guys solely, and seemed attracted to them but she said she was a lesbian.
Jessi Danger
Fermionic

Shouldn't people though have professionals diagnose this stuff? I mean?

Isn't it a tad unsettling how much of this is "I read a tumblr blog about it..... HEY ME TOO!"

Diagnose is not the words for it.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
I see the definition of "asexual" being that of someone who psychologically needs no relationship with anyone other than themselves who may dabble in auto-eroticism. Otherwise, I see it as a person who can't admit they just plainly have no libido. As a 25-year-old, suicidal homosexual with no sex life who doesn't wish to leave his mother's house and refuses to do anything seen as "necessary", I don't care about the rest of your assumption.

Tumblr is one of the worst designed sites I've ever been to, and I quite frankly have to wonder what is so damn important about this site that seemingly everyone and their doge has to go to it and talk about it on a daily basis, let alone how any of you even manage to find relevant content when I rarely even come across the mythological "Social Justice Warrior" every time I bother to go there with its horrible search function. I don't really see how peeps who are on either of these sites this often can say they "have a life" with a straight face.

Conservative Explorer

Everyone I know in person is either straight, bi, or sometimes gay. And one asexual who had zero interest in anybody. All the extra flavors I've never even met. Sometimes I think it's just an orientation you download for your computer, because it certainly doesn't seem to exist in person. confused

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Jessi Danger

How many people think these things are necessarily real? Or even common? I must confess In my own circle of friends it's become like pandemic. Which leads me to wonder if these identities have become fashionable or trendy, or even just a crutch for some people who want something else in their lives.

By crutch I mean, it's much more psychologically gratifying to say "I'm Asexual," then admit "I'm a 23 year old cosplayer who never wants to leave my parents house or do anything but go to Conventions and pretend to be anime/comic book characters."

Demisexuality, seems to strike me as just a normal person inventing an identity for what is otherwise a normal person lacking the self confidence for intimacy.

Sorry if this is an offensive topic, I simply am on tumblr way too much.

Asexuality is definitely real, but it isn't common. (less than 1% of the population if I remember correctly) I don't really see it as becoming a trend. The only person I know who is asexual or claimed to be asexual is...well me. Then again, I don't rarely go to Tumblr so that could explain it...

This is the first time I've heard of demisexuality and I don't know anyone who fits in that category.
Lucky~9~Lives
Jessi Danger

Trolling isn't new. 2/10.

/thread

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
Who cares if you are asexual? I mean seriously, unless you bring it up who is going to go out of their way to care other than your mother when she asks why you haven't settled down with a nice girl.

There is a joke "what is the difference between bisexual and pansexuals?" Deodorant.

Really everything other than gay, straight and bi are needless special snowflake sexualities.

Giver

they are actual things.
the terminology didn't exist until recently because not being heterosexual or homosexual was virtually unheard of.
simply because you do not understand, haven't always heard of, or have not experienced/come into contact with people who label themselves with such names does not mean they're nonexistent.

Kaptain K Rool's Husband

Floppy Member

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas