Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just for the sake of clarification, I didn't mean to promote any of my own opinions. The original post was intended to showcase a particular article rather than promulgate any political opinions I may or may not have. I am more interested in reading the responses from the community than I am in spreading some manner of political doctrine.

As I stated before, I posted this in ED because I wanted to get the average Gaian's perspective rather than have this discussion degenerate into a predictable political bantering session. I don't really like politics myself. Anyway, I'm going to bed. Seriously. I mean it this time.
suicide_arc

Religion and Government are Intertwined (Very, becuase of the way the American Government uses religion as part of it's manner of governing, Gay Marriage was given the thumbs down.) Okay, I can see that one.

Controlled Mass Media (Controlled, filtered, self-abosrbed media is what I hear of) No. No way. Western mass media has long since spiralled out of control.

Obsession with National Security (>>; 'Nuff said)
Powerful and Continuing Nationalism (not as strong as what is described, but damn close enough) Eh... not so much. I can see where you're coming from, but I'm still going to disagree.

Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights ("Oh, because the Government is spending so much money on our government, it's okay that my children don't get the best education possible." It's a fact that the majority of your kids stay in school longer than Australian kids and come out with less in thier heads.) Wheeee bullshit! biggrin

Supremacy of the Military (Your military and what they do is glorified in too many ways. It's seen as alright taht the rest of your country rots while you clean up Iraq.) Again, no. That's wrong.

Fraudulent Elections (*cough*election2004*cough* ) That's just wrong. confused

Rampant Cronyism and Corruption ( If it happens in Australia, then it happens even worse or even more in America. 'Nuff said. )Um, no, not really, no.

So, really, only one of those is actually true.

TheArgus

It certainly could be argued that the United States fits at least some of these criteria.

It can also be argued that every country fits some of the criteria, if you look hard enough.
Jed the Angsty Ghost

It can also be argued that every country fits some of the criteria, if you look hard enough.

But you don't actually need to look very hard to see the resemblance, do you? When I read that first post I was automatically thinking, 'You know what, this sounds familiar...'

Denying that things are wrong does not stop them being wrong. TheArgus and suicide_arc have this one right.
Jed the Angsty Ghost
TheArgus

It certainly could be argued that the United States fits at least some of these criteria.

It has been a while since my last post in this thread, but I think there's room for more discussion here.

Yes, an excellent point, Mr. the Angsty Ghost. Perhaps the nature of government itself is authoritarian?

Again, to reiterate, my original post had no mention of the United States. I would be hesitant to display the country of my birth in an unfavorable light. Any references to the US were made in subsequent posts. It is interesting that people would be willing to make the comparison, however.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff