Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
Anyone on here spin poi?
I've been spinning around four years, and most people who I meet who have seen me spin tell me I'm the best they have seen, but I personally would hardly call myself an expert (I'm getting there though). Once my camera is up and running I will post some videos of me, but for now here is a link to a nice playlist I just made of some useful intermediate move tutorials. More to come soon, and feel free to add your own, if they are poi-related.

[edit: Here is a playlist of some freestyle fire and circus arts, I will be adding more soon!
I have just started to spin.

Only spun while on fire about 5 times.

Still have alot of learning to do, but I shall get there.
a lot of people probably don't know wat poi is. don't you love that! it is the best way make people love it. to give it a fresh start unlike stupid stereo types about cheerleading. people think it is for girls who cant do any other sport but cheer is reaally hard and if you don't think that then you don't know wat cheer is. STUPID STEREO TYPES!!!!!
It's kinda weird. I learned Poi from my parents. It wasn't part of fire twirling - you just got taught traditional poi. I did it once in the traditional grass skirt too (guys and girls wear them).
Poi spinning...?
Is that where you spin sticks that are lit on fire at one end?A bit like juggling fire sticks but you don't throw them?

I'd have a go,but it's too dangerous,and I don't have the right things(flammable stuff,sticks,and a huge area so I don't set the world on fire).
no poi are the chains with a wick on the end. usually made of kevlar.

it is fire twirling, but on chains, not a staff or sticks.

5,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
I'd love to learn to spin traditional style...

I love how it tells a story and the songs that go with the dances.

I've been spinning about 3 years and I'd say I'm an intermediate to advanced spinner.
I still have a lot to learn, but a lot of people tell me I'm the best they know. However I don't like to blow my own trumpet, so I'll say that may be because most people don't know many expert poi spinners...

By the way, I'm adding every spinner who comments here. biggrin

I'd love to see any videos people have of them spinning, maybe I can give people some help too!

My camera is out of action atm, I need to buy a new charger for it, but when I have that I'll post some freestyles and tutorials and stuff.

5,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
Jerbos
Poi spinning...?
Is that where you spin sticks that are lit on fire at one end?A bit like juggling fire sticks but you don't throw them?

I'd have a go,but it's too dangerous,and I don't have the right things(flammable stuff,sticks,and a huge area so I don't set the world on fire).

You don't do it with fire the first time! Hee hee!

Use balls on strings or tennis/juggling balls in socks when you are learning. biggrin
I've been spinning for about half a year now. Where I am, no one knows what poi is. I've only met one person who spun in a similar fashion, but he is a raver primarily. He's amazing, but now he's two hours away. sad Because of a recent talent show, videos of me poiing have been circulating around school via cellphones, but I still haven't found anyone who asks about 'poi' as opposed to asking about 'that cool light thing you did'.

So it gets pretty boring around here without others to practice with or learn new moves from. According to the site I learned most of my moves from I'm 'intermediate-advanced', but that's dumb because the most advanced move I know is the 360 weave and I can't even do a butterfly from half the positions I should be able to. And, you know. Equipment upkeep isn't my strong suit.

In Florida there are burn bans like every other week and you have to be 18 to 'operate an open flame' anyway. There is some way I'm legally allowed to spin around flaming balls, I'm sure, but family rules and a sense of personal obligation to keep myself out of the burn ward have dictated that the only fire-related things I spin are sparklers woven through a nonflammable bean-bag.
i love to poi i started about a month ago and im learning real quick and im getting through a lot of parrafin/kerrasine

my m8 does fire staff an has started around about the same time as me its so much fun practising with him as we are both improving dramaticly

,i smell burnt hair...
I'd love to learn but I haven't tracked down a spot in town that teaches it, and I'd rather not start without an instructor *pictures self being severely horrible and klutzy*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff