Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is marching band a sport? Give your opinion here. (details would be nice on whether u support or not support it.)
Thnx
Feel free to pm me!!! smile
I don't see how it could be a sport. I would consider it an art becuase of music and dance moves... but def. not a sport.
You know what.......NO!
I've always heard the cheerleading vs. marching band sport debate. I'm on the cheerleading side, but I personally don't know anything about marching band. Does it fit under the requirements for a sport? (A competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. The key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitors when determining the outcome (winning or losing). Non-competitive activities such as jogging and rock-climbing, are usually classified as recreations). I don't really see how it is, but I'd probably consider it more of a sport than NASCAR...

Greedy Winner

If it was a sport, Shopping would be too. Because you are just walking with an instrument in your grip.Shopping, you are walking with groceries in your hand. So no, it isn't a sport.
I would say no. I believe it would fall under arts
It all depends on the marching style of the marching band, you can do roll step, or high knee lift, which actually caused me to lose 30 pounds. so in my opinion on the certain styles of marching, it is considered a sport...at least in Texas it is under the Physical Education credit, but the spring time when it is jsut sitting down and playing, then it is considered a fine art.
I gotta cast my vote for marching band as a sport. Sure, a lot of people just see it as marching in goofy little shapes while we play music, but we do go to competitions and score and compete with other schools.

Its damned hard work too, at least where I went to high school. We had a strong band program, and the last two weeks of our summers were us working outside most of the day. We have to know where to march to our spots, keep it in formation, keep it within the time frame provided (12 beats from A to B, 8 beats from B to C, etc), all the while holding our instruments above parallel to the ground. Easy enough when you're a flute, but I played trombone and it was hard work. And, of course, don't forget that we have to memorize the entire music program. Hell, our band worked more than our football team did.
Anvion, I totally agree with you. I know it's not as bad as playing trombone (in a difficult way) but being field commander/drum major (w/e you wana call it) is pretty hard work. I'm using muscles that I never even knew existed. lol.
I'm actually part of a Marching Band, play an Alto Saxophone, and heck yeah I consider it a sport. Trust me, you get a masssive workout from it, ur in the sun all day (tan! xd ), and it goes on from May to November where I live.

MARCHING BAND FOR THE WIN!!!!!!! mrgreen

Oh, and to the II The Who II, Its not walking, u idiot, its marching, there's a BIG difference. U roll ur foot from the heel to ur toe.
THANK YOU!!!
i just made field commander, and for the practices, my arms and abs were KILLING me. i did flute my freshman year and mellophone this past year.(my sophmore year) and I kno i was sor a coupl nites ths past year. honestly, i want to slap anyone who says its 'just walking and holding an instrument'. i mean really!!!!! -.- takes so much more work and so much more muscle than anyone who doesn't do it can possibly understand...
FrostAaron20
I'm actually part of a Marching Band, play an Alto Saxophone, and heck yeah I consider it a sport. Trust me, you get a masssive workout from it, ur in the sun all day (tan! xd ), and it goes on from May to November where I live.

MARCHING BAND FOR THE WIN!!!!!!! mrgreen

Oh, and to the II The Who II, Its not walking, u idiot, its marching, there's a BIG difference. U roll ur foot from the heel to ur toe.

Invisible Noob

11,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
SG862
It all depends on the marching style of the marching band, you can do roll step, or high knee lift, which actually caused me to lose 30 pounds. so in my opinion on the certain styles of marching, it is considered a sport...at least in Texas it is under the Physical Education credit, but the spring time when it is jsut sitting down and playing, then it is considered a fine art.

So just because of high knee lifts you think its more of a sport. Is jogging a sport? is running on your treadmil a sport? Just because of physical activity doesn't make something a sport.

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
I think it is. we easly get the same if not more of a work out then football and dont get me started on cheerleading. Anywaya our marching band is way better then our football team. Some people just come to see the marching band at games.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff