Welcome to Gaia! ::

14,440 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • First Fall 15
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Does anyone think older cartoon/children's movies are, in majority, better than the one's we have now? And I mean in terms of entertainment and story.
Whether or not they're better is subjective. However, they are different, which people who tell others to take of their "nostalgia goggles" can't seem to accept.

But to answer your question, yes. I think cartoons form the 90's and leading up to the 60s were generally better than what they're putting on television today.

Robotic Exhibitionist

Keep in mind that we tend to remember only the good. We had a lot of great cartoons, but we also had a lot of trash ones. It's easy to only remember your favorites and claim you grew up with the best shows.

Personally, I really wish I could have grown up with Gravity Falls. It's easily one of the best cartoons I've ever watched.

Gaian

I prefer older cartoons but I haven't seen many new ones to make fair judgement on if the're 'better'.

14,440 Points
  • First Fall 15
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Bampot
Keep in mind that we tend to remember only the good. We had a lot of great cartoons, but we also had a lot of trash ones. It's easy to only remember your favorites and claim you grew up with the best shows.

Personally, I really wish I could have grown up with Gravity Falls. It's easily one of the best cartoons I've ever watched.
True. I mean I do remember some I never liked, but I never watched them after deeming them suckish. ( stare I'm looking at you Cow and Chicken)

But I made this question with the thoughts in mind how clichéd and similar the shows and movies now are. Like the variety on how they convey it might be different, but how many things are all saying be yourself. Love everyone! Save the environment! (Okay these have been around forever) It's like they've become a template for generic messages in black and white format.

I'll admit I don't watch a lot of cartoons nowadays so maybe there are good cartoons and shows showing off the gray spots. I do watch anime, but I don't count that, it has it's own formula's to follow. Also older shows had ways of not inappropriately showing sorta racy (by this I mean mother's going SHIELD YOUR EYES, CHILDREN like they would nowadays) subject matter without promoting it or knocking it. Just showing it existed in the world.

Also for the most part I like the old humor more. . . Today's humor sometimes feels like random/juvenile = funny

6,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
YES
I spent a good chunk of my summer babysitting my seven year old cousin and practically everything that's new is just plain awful. No passion or thought was put into these shows. Just mindless garbage, gross humor, loud and in your face characters all the time, and very problematic racial stereotypes (that last one was directed towards the show Jessie)
I'd always end up putting on old TV shows from Netflix or Disney movies cause everything on TV sucked unless it was a really old episode (stuff like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents just need to die cause they're running out of good material)

14,440 Points
  • First Fall 15
  • Peoplewatcher 100
JellyLizzy
YES
I spent a good chunk of my summer babysitting my seven year old cousin and practically everything that's new is just plain awful. No passion or thought was put into these shows. Just mindless garbage, gross humor, loud and in your face characters all the time, and very problematic racial stereotypes (that last one was directed towards the show Jessie)
I'd always end up putting on old TV shows from Netflix or Disney movies cause everything on TV sucked unless it was a really old episode (stuff like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents just need to die cause they're running out of good material)
. . . Now I'm curious, what was the stereotype? (Older stuff definitely wasn't exempt from this though.)

6,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
JigokuShoujosRevenge
JellyLizzy
YES
. . . Now I'm curious, what was the stereotype? (Older stuff definitely wasn't exempt from this though.)

Indian stereotype. I can't say for sure if it's racist cause I don't pay too much attention but it just rubs me wrong. I'm sure there's a video on YouTube on how problematic it is.
I think the main difference is that nowadays it's all about technology, gadgets and clothing.
The other day I heard some kid saying he didn't want to get his shoes dirty, he was like 10.

When I was 10 I was wearing my brothers passed on clothing and got dirty as much as I possibly could.

Familiar Businessman

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
I feel like cartoons from my childhood held a lot more meaning and that they had more time and effort put into them.

Now, they can throw a pile of s**t at you and then take it right off air without any worry. Back then, the quality of a TV show actually mattered, whereas now it's what makes them the most money.

Disney Channel is a prime example of this. They show these horrible live action drama shows, and it doesn't take long for them to be replaced by the same recycled ******** idea over and over again. Disney has the same issue as Nickelodeon when it comes to the actual characters. We have characters who get away with being a piece of s**t, and actually having good lives doing it. There is no concept of karma or getting what they deserve anymore. If the main character is unhappy, pshhh, who gives a s**t? There's another fart joke! LOL!

Nickelodeon never let's anything go. Spongebob should have ended, and Sam from ICarly should have left when ICarly had ended. This Sam & Cat bullshit is literally ICarly but twice as annoying. I've noticed that Nickelodeon shows seem to highlight bitchy characters a lot more than they used too. If someone's a piece of s**t, they never get what they deserve.

Cartoon Network is trying far too hard. Putting restrictions on their writers and throwing up garbage like Naked Animals and Annoying Orange.
God, don't make me go there.

My generation was very lucky. We had things like Invader Zim, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, and That's So Raven. My generation had the best of it, and we only watched it all collapse behind us.

14,440 Points
  • First Fall 15
  • Peoplewatcher 100
That Slender Man
I feel like cartoons from my childhood held a lot more meaning and that they had more time and effort put into them.

Now, they can throw a pile of s**t at you and then take it right off air without any worry. Back then, the quality of a TV show actually mattered, whereas now it's what makes them the most money.

Disney Channel is a prime example of this. They show these horrible live action drama shows, and it doesn't take long for them to be replaced by the same recycled ******** idea over and over again. Disney has the same issue as Nickelodeon when it comes to the actual characters. We have characters who get away with being a piece of s**t, and actually having good lives doing it. There is no concept of karma or getting what they deserve anymore. If the main character is unhappy, pshhh, who gives a s**t? There's another fart joke! LOL!

Nickelodeon never let's anything go. Spongebob should have ended, and Sam from ICarly should have left when ICarly had ended. This Sam & Cat bullshit is literally ICarly but twice as annoying. I've noticed that Nickelodeon shows seem to highlight bitchy characters a lot more than they used too. If someone's a piece of s**t, they never get what they deserve.

Cartoon Network is trying far too hard. Putting restrictions on their writers and throwing up garbage like Naked Animals and Annoying Orange.
God, don't make me go there.

My generation was very lucky. We had things like Invader Zim, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, and That's So Raven. My generation had the best of it, and we only watched it all collapse behind us.
In agreement that they drag shows on longer then they should and make spin-offs for profit. But has it occurred to you that they do this because they've run out of ideas and need to bank on the success of the show's already standing reputation and milk it for all it's worth? (The cow then gets to go behind the the barn and *BOOM* shotgun to it's head and feasting upon it's corpse.) Kinda like what they're doing to Scooby-Doo.

Familiar Businessman

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
JigokuShoujosRevenge

It's not that they've run out of ideas. All of them have received plentiful amounts of pilot episodes and show ideas. They just choose whatever makes them money.

Here's a video here discussing a few rejected shows that never got a chance.

14,440 Points
  • First Fall 15
  • Peoplewatcher 100
That Slender Man
JigokuShoujosRevenge

It's not that they've run out of ideas. All of them have received plentiful amounts of pilot episodes and show ideas. They just choose whatever makes them money.

Here's a video here discussing a few rejected shows that never got a chance.
That's sad, but the biggest issue by the video sounds like what is cheapest to make and bring in money. Some of those looked sooo cool.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Not at all. The ones we have now are in most cases much superior, especially when you compare them to the crap we got in the 90s.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
No, because the nostalga filter hasn't yet separated the wheat from the chaff yet. There are some good cartoons out there now and there was a lot of crap out there back then. Most of the bad stuff's burried in the past. Hell even some of the 'good' shows from back then come off as stupid and pointless to me so really it's subjective and I think a lot of people's tastes have become overspecialized to the point they can't see beyond a limited range of things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff