I only read the Hobbit; LotR is too long. 0.061855670103093 6.2% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 388 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Friendly Fairy

5,500 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
My mother wouldn't allow me to see the movies until I had read the books.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
I think I read them all about 13 years ago.
I started LotR again a year ago but then got too busy with other things (work and school), and dropped the book again.
I really need to read it all again...

The Silmarillion was definitely the hardest book to get through for me.
I should read these books.
I'm about halfway through reading the Hobbit right now. Some people complain that the movie is too cartoonish, but man, the original stuff is even more so. Especially all the brightly colored dwarf clothes, and how the elves act in the book.

Not saying I don't like the book, I like it as much as the movie. But if they stuck totally to the book, it would be an all out kids show. At least, more so than it is. 4laugh

Dedicated Bibliophile

10,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
RoxyFae
My mother wouldn't allow me to see the movies until I had read the books.

Good for her!

Dedicated Bibliophile

10,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
Dog Radio
I'm about halfway through reading the Hobbit right now. Some people complain that the movie is too cartoonish, but man, the original stuff is even more so. Especially all the brightly colored dwarf clothes, and how the elves act in the book.

Not saying I don't like the book, I like it as much as the movie. But if they stuck totally to the book, it would be an all out kids show. At least, more so than it is. 4laugh

The Hobbit was written as a children's book, so it focuses on things a child would, such as the colors and the abundant food as well as addressing the reader directly. But it was still pretty thrilling and a complete story in and of itself, and I dislike the fluffing out Jackson is doing. Not just adding stuff from the backstory of LotR, but completely added scenes like the stone giants in the mountains and the fact they brought Azog back to life. Don't get me started on the love story.

But enjoy There And Back Again. It is a lot of fun.
B Banzai
Dog Radio

The Hobbit was written as a children's book, so it focuses on things a child would, such as the colors and the abundant food as well as addressing the reader directly. But it was still pretty thrilling and a complete story in and of itself, and I dislike the fluffing out Jackson is doing. Not just adding stuff from the backstory of LotR, but completely added scenes like the stone giants in the mountains and the fact they brought Azog back to life. Don't get me started on the love story.

But enjoy There And Back Again. It is a lot of fun.

Oh wait, the love story. I forgot about that stupid part. rolleyes

Citizen

5,000 Points
  • Over Easy 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Timid 100
The films started coming out just after I turned ten, and the summer before my dad bought me the edition of the Lord of the Rings in one giant paperback with the Nazgul on the front and told me I had to at least finish Fellowship before the film hit theatres.

I carried the blasted thing around with me THE WHOLE SUMMER and fell in love like only a nine year old with an overactive imagination can.
I have read them at least 10 times ( including the hobbit) and the silmarilion, the children of hurin, the lost tales... 3nodding I read them for the first time when I was 12, but i didn't really understand them. Then when i was 16 i read them again and i looooved them, since then i've been hooked. biggrin

Bear

User Image

I started reading them after I watched LoTR trilogy for the first time, which was about three years ago.
I have since re-watched the series five times (extended only of course because I'm not a barbarian)
and I read The Hobbit. I still have to start the series itself, but I have all these other books I want
to read. D,: I'll definitely start it once I finish the book I am currently reading.

User Image

Lonely Phantom

My answer is both true and false. I did read the books before the films came out. My mother read them to me as a kid for bedtime stories. It's how I learned to read. The movies for LotR came out and years later I saw them. I then re-read the books. I also went ahead and read the Hobbit, though I didn't finish it before the 1st installment of the Hobbit came to theaters. I've nearly completed the Simarillion now. heart

Newbie Seeker

1,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Consumer 100
I've read the trilogy and The Hobbit, as well as The Children of Hurin. I started the Sillmarilion once, but I couldn't get through it. I suppose I should try again, though.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
To be honest I read them after, mainly because I saw the Hobbit when I was, like, 6. I think that movie is what kicked off the love of fantasy for me. As soon as I found out about the books I read them, then read them again when LoTR came out.

Wistful Prophet

8,775 Points
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Charging Power 75
I've read all of the Lord of the Rings books, including the Hobbit! And I've read the Children of Hurin as well <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff