Cthulhu 0.10909090909091 10.9% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 110 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
So this year is the 60th Anniversary of the very first Kaiju -- The King of The Monsters: Godzilla.

Legenary Pictures, who recently released the very fine movie Pacific Rim is involved in making the new Godzilla movie so you know the special effects will be top notch. Also Bryan Cranston is starring. That's right folks: Walter White is going to be the star of Godzilla. Well other than Godzilla, naturally.

There is an official Godzilla movie site where they have a clock counting down until the movie opens.

Godzilla 2014 Movie

Godzilla has been around for 60 years and has starred in 29 films (including 1998's Not Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick). The full list follows:

Godzilla (Godzilla, King of the Monsters) [1954]
Godzilla Raids Again [1955]
King Kong vs. Godzilla [1962]
Mothra vs. Godzilla [1964]
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster [1964]
Invasion of Astro-Monster (Godzilla vs. Monster Zero) [1965]
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster) [1966]
Son of Godzilla [1967]
Destroy All Monsters [1968]
All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge) [1969]
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster) [1971]
Godzilla vs. Gigan [1972]
Godzilla vs. Megalon [1973]
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla [1974]
Terror of Mechagodzilla [1975]
The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1985) [1984]
Godzilla vs. Biollante [1989]
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah [1991]
Godzilla vs. Mothra (Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth) [1992]
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 [1993]
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla [1994]
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah [1995]
Godzilla 2000: Millennium (Godzilla 2000) [1999]
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus [2000]
Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack [2001]
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla [2002]
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. [2003]
Godzilla: Final Wars [2004]

Some of these are far better than others and some are just not good. The 70's in particular were not kind to Godzilla.

Godzilla actually has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

As you might expect, I'm terrifically excited about the forthcoming movie. I'm especially excited That Legendary Pictures is involved since they did such a fantastic job with Pacific Rim.

So, you other Kaiju fans, I know you're out there. What are your thoughts on any of the old movies or the upcoming new one.

Welp, it would appear that the Wondercon footage has been scrubbed. I thought it was official since I found it on the official FB page but I guess not. Lucky few who saw it. smile

Alright, to make up for my earlier mistake here is the latest TV spot, which is official.

Romantic Senshi

12,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
Cultural icon, for sure. =x

Romantic Senshi

11,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
Cultural icon! Let's hope the new movie will be great heart

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I'm expecting it to be great. Have you seen the trailers for it?

Also the new merchandizing is quite nice. I'm hoping to have a very Godzilla Christmas this year. rofl

Plinti's Husband

Distinct Seeker

11,575 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Definitely, a cultural icon. ^^

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Plinti

I'm hoping so too. I think they learned from the 1998 Godzilla. The new Godzilla looks like a modern version of the classic Godzilla.

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Spidey Riot
Definitely, a cultural icon. ^^

It's amazing how this monster has survived in the popular consciousness for 60 years. Even through the cheesy campy years.

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Panda Musume
Cultural icon, for sure. =x

Yep, and one great thing about Godzilla is that he crosses cultural borders with ease it seems. Something about the big lizard speaks to people.

Fashionable Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ugh....

Godzilla vs. Gigan. Just awful. But kind of funny.

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Storm_Airielle
Ugh....

Godzilla vs. Gigan. Just awful. But kind of funny.

You just have to go with the bad ones. Godzilla vs Hedorah is pretty bad too, but I think in that case there was a good idea or two hiding in the bad filming choices.

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Aright, so no one wants to talk about Godzilla? No favorites from the list of movies?
Sapphina
Plinti

I'm hoping so too. I think they learned from the 1998 Godzilla. The new Godzilla looks like a modern version of the classic Godzilla.

Generally, from what I'm seeing this film is hitting all the right buttons that GINO failed to. It has a great cast of characters with their own personal issues, played by some fantastic actors like Brian Cranston and it has not one but multiple creatures for Big G to fight.

This Godzilla definitely won't be killed by four missiles and a bridge.
I actually kind of like some of the goofy 70s ones. Godzilla vs. Megalon was weirdly fun, I thought, and Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla is still one of my favorites despite Godzilla randomly becoming Magneto, though I'm probably biased since that's the first Godzilla movie I ever saw. I still have the original VHS in working condition, too. Also, the sequel Terror of MechaGodzilla has one of the best Godzilla entrances ever.

That said, the use of stock footage did suck. But that was going on before the 70s anyway.

The Heisei series starting in 1984 was good, and Biollante is still one of the coolest Godzilla monsters ever, but at some point every monster got so big and bulky that the fights became special effects light shows. One thing I think the older movies had over those, in that the monsters would actually beat the crap out of each other more often.

As for the Millennium series, I have mixed feelings. I thought GMK was a stand-out, pretty awesome even if some of the mythology got a little weird with Ghidorah being a good guy. There was more actual fighting in that one. Godzilla 2000 wasn't too bad, but aside from one epic moment set to the classic Godzilla march it was kind of underwhelming. I don't remember Godzilla vs. Megaguirus at all, though I remember not caring for it. I actually kind of liked the newer Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla but the original is still my favorite. The sequel to that one, on the other hand, was underwhelming.

And then Godzilla: Final Wars. Four words: not enough monster action. It should have been the big 50th anniversary monster bash Godzilla deserved, but it felt like mostly a lame alien invasion action movie with Godzilla monster cameos. There was some cool stuff in it (the triumphant return of Gigan, with a badass new look, was great until they ruined it by giving him double chainsaw hands) but it was too damn brief.

Benevolent Phantom

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Riceatron
Sapphina
Plinti

Generally, from what I'm seeing this film is hitting all the right buttons that GINO failed to. It has a great cast of characters with their own personal issues, played by some fantastic actors like Brian Cranston and it has not one but multiple creatures for Big G to fight.

This Godzilla definitely won't be killed by four missiles and a bridge.

I'm seeing the same things. I've been trying to avoid too many spoilers because I want to really enjoy the movie for what it is when it comes out.

Four missiles and a bridge--and people wonder why I call it the Not Godzilla movie.

Fashionable Gaian

6,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I hope this one turns out better. It looks and sounds like a pretty solid movie. I'm currently 10 short of having all of the movies in one form or other. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff