< 1 2 3 4 >

Dapper Genius

10,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Do you miss Matt or David More???

Magical Giver

Yes. I miss David Tennant though. He was just all kinds of serious sexy. Matt Smith was just absurd and I would not want to cuddle with him. Now this 12th one......He kind of exudes the Harrison Ford confidence in a way. lol

Dangerous Loiterer

AMIRANDAS
and I would not want to cuddle with him.
So is this how people like to rank Doctors now, rather than on their acting?

Magical Giver

Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS

No no... it's all a bout the ACTING! Matt is an ABSURD actor IMHO.. I couldn't stand him honestly. I liked David because he was serious about being the Doctor. Chris was almost an a*****e.

Magical Giver

VHongo
Do you miss Matt or David More???
DAVID!!!!!!!!!

Dangerous Loiterer

AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS

No no... it's all a bout the ACTING! Matt is an ABSURD actor IMHO.. I couldn't stand him honestly. I liked David because he was serious about being the Doctor. Chris was almost an a*****e.
I dislike Smith's Doctor, but I don't think he's a bad actor. I think Tennant got a bit hammy and hard to watch after a while, and his acting definitely deteriorated after Series 2, until it got really patchy and over-the-top. I think Eccleston was the best actor out of the three of them, and that's mainly because at the time he was in the public consciousness for his role as the horrid, rapey soldier in 28 Days Later. He's quite versatile, and he quite understandably got annoyed by being typecast and restricted by the role of the Doctor.

Magical Giver

Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS

I dislike Smith's Doctor, but I don't think he's a bad actor. I think Tennant got a bit hammy and hard to watch after a while, and his acting definitely deteriorated after Series 2, until it got really patchy and over-the-top. I think Eccleston was the best actor out of the three of them, and that's mainly because at the time he was in the public consciousness for his role as the horrid, rapey soldier in 28 Days Later.

Ahh I see where you're coming from. Actually I wasn't aware of Eccleston's other role. Interesting... kind of explains why I got the a*****e attitude from him. I'll admit that you're right about his acting and also David's acting in the last few seasons of his..... I just adored David, he was much more of a real doctor more than Smith for sure. Like I would trust my life with David instead of Matt. Chris.... I think the very first episode with Chris killed it for me. I was like WTF is this s**t?? If I rank them, I'd go with David, then Peter, Chris, and then Matt at the very bottom. lol Matt was just goofy. Too goofy to be the most important Doctor in the world at the time. Bah.

Dangerous Loiterer

AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS

I dislike Smith's Doctor, but I don't think he's a bad actor. I think Tennant got a bit hammy and hard to watch after a while, and his acting definitely deteriorated after Series 2, until it got really patchy and over-the-top. I think Eccleston was the best actor out of the three of them, and that's mainly because at the time he was in the public consciousness for his role as the horrid, rapey soldier in 28 Days Later.

Ahh I see where you're coming from. Actually I wasn't aware of Eccleston's other role. Interesting... kind of explains why I got the a*****e attitude from him. I'll admit that you're right about his acting and also David's acting in the last few seasons of his..... I just adored David, he was much more of a real doctor more than Smith for sure. Like I would trust my life with David instead of Matt. Chris.... I think the very first episode with Chris killed it for me. I was like WTF is this s**t?? If I rank them, I'd go with David, then Peter, Chris, and then Matt at the very bottom. lol Matt was just goofy. Too goofy to be the most important Doctor in the world at the time. Bah.

It's stereotyping that gives Eccleston that 'a*****e' image. He's Mancunian, and thus gets typecast as the 'Northern monkey' stereotype of angry, rough, frank-speaking, leather-wearing, slightly-dumb people. He can do so much more, but Doctor Who, like a lot of BBC stuff, just devolves into 'LOL DAE THE NORTH IS FUNNY AND NORTHERN DIALECTS ARE STRANGE'.

You've got to remember that the first series of the show was essentially a pilot, and it was aiming for the original demographic of the pre-1989 show - children. It wasn't until Series 2 that the BBC decided to make it slightly more mature and make it a 'family show'. Which is why Series 1 was full of fart jokes and looked like what Sarah Jane Adventures became to fill the children's show niche. I don't think it's entirely fair to judge Eccleston from that, just as it isn't really fair to judge Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy for the horrible, horrible travesties of some of the episodes they got stuck with (although Six was bad xD ).

And goofy Doctors are good! Two and Four are pretty goofy. Seven had his goofy moments as well. Being a goofy manchild is how the Doctor gets people to underestimate him, which is why Douglas Adams was so good at writing for the Doctor.

Magical Giver

Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS

It's stereotyping that gives Eccleston that 'a*****e' image. He's Mancunian, and thus gets typecast as the 'Northern monkey' stereotype of angry, rough, frank-speaking, leather-wearing, slightly-dumb people. He can do so much more, but Doctor Who, like a lot of BBC stuff, just devolves into 'LOL DAE THE NORTH IS FUNNY AND NORTHERN DIALECTS ARE STRANGE'.

You've got to remember that the first series of the show was essentially a pilot, and it was aiming for the original demographic of the pre-1989 show - children. It wasn't until Series 2 that the BBC decided to make it slightly more mature and make it a 'family show'. Which is why Series 1 was full of fart jokes and looked like what Sarah Jane Adventures became to fill the children's show niche. I don't think it's entirely fair to judge Eccleston from that, just as it isn't really fair to judge Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy for the horrible, horrible travesties of some of the episodes they got stuck with (although Six was bad xD ).

And goofy Doctors are good! Two and Four are pretty goofy. Seven had his goofy moments as well.

True. Although I was speaking of the first episode with the mannequins. I was just thrown off about it, almost made me NOT want to watch the show ever again. Lol. Honestly, I haven't watched the original Doctor Who seasons... as much as I adore watching black and whites, I just couldn't get into the originals.... I may try again this summer via Netflix streaming and start from the first and go from there. I'm not a hardcore Doctor Who buff as my best friend is, but enjoy it. However.... recently tried to watch Torchwood.... I'm not into it. I'm more of Eureka, Warehouse13 artifiact-y, history, sciencey kind of person. Not aliens and monsters per se. But I'll watch it if it really intrigues me enough.

Dangerous Loiterer

AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS

And goofy Doctors are good! Two and Four are pretty goofy. Seven had his goofy moments as well.

True. Although I was speaking of the first episode with the mannequins. I was just thrown off about it, almost made me NOT want to watch the show ever again. Lol. Honestly, I haven't watched the original Doctor Who seasons... as much as I adore watching black and whites, I just couldn't get into the originals.... I may try again this summer via Netflix streaming and start from the first and go from there. I'm not a hardcore Doctor Who buff as my best friend is, but enjoy it. However.... recently tried to watch Torchwood.... I'm not into it. I'm more of Eureka, Warehouse13 artifiact-y, history, sciencey kind of person. Not aliens and monsters per se. But I'll watch it if it really intrigues me enough.

What put you off about the first episode? I don't think it was that bad, even as cheesy and childish it was for a show they were trying to revive after more than 15 years of absence.

Magical Giver

Caerthakatha

What put you off about the first episode? I don't think it was that bad, even as cheesy and childish it was for a show they were trying to revive after more than 15 years of absence.

The mannequins turning into "live" villains. It was just like I was thrown into the chaos without any explanation as to what was going on. I guess that's how Rose felt. I think it could have been better if they did something else other than the "live" mannequins. Idk.

Dangerous Loiterer

AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha

The mannequins turning into "live" villains. It was just like I was thrown into the chaos without any explanation as to what was going on. I guess that's how Rose felt. I think it could have been better if they did something else other than the "live" mannequins. Idk.
I thought it was a nice throwback to the classic series. The Autons were used for the Third Doctor's first episode as well.

Magical Giver

Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha

I thought it was a nice throwback to the classic series. The Autons were used for the Third Doctor's first episode as well.

Well... i t didn't work for me as I'd never seen the old seasons. So... How was I supposed to know? It was bizarre.

Dangerous Loiterer

AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha
AMIRANDAS
Caerthakatha

Well... i t didn't work for me as I'd never seen the old seasons. So... How was I supposed to know? It was bizarre.
Because that was the effect they were going for. It was meant to be nostalgic for the old fans and meant to put you in Rose's shoes for the new viewers. Rose is an insert character for the female fans they wanted to attract, which is why she was bland, chavvy and lived on a council estate.

Dapper Genius

10,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Caerthakatha
I think [Eccleston's] quite versatile, and so he understandably got annoyed by being typecast and restricted by the role of the Doctor.

How was he type cast and restricted by being The Doctor? He had every choice in the world to refuse the role if he had other things going.
And as for coming across as an a****le, It may have been a stereotype, but it could have also been the way he is. I mean, he was invited back for a part in the 50th special, a ONCE in a lifetime thing, and he simply refused. I might not fully understand his point of view, but most people say they are so honored when they get asked back for a part of a role in an episode.
From my PoV, he could have at least gone to humour the Who-niverse despite his personal interests.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff