Welcome to Gaia! ::

...judging Jenna-Louise.

This is my first experience with an new incoming companion, minus reruns. And yes, I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But there are certain people, as there are in every fandom, who feel the compulsion to take it upon themselves and judge J-LC, both as an actress, and some, even as a person, BEFORE WE'VE EVEN SEEN HER IN ACTION. SERIOUSLY.

It might have something to do with the fact that I've never really liked Amy Pond (although I think Karen Gillan is a lovely person), some people in this fandom just really need to take a step back and chill.

If Jenna says she's excited about being the new companion, I'll come across comments like, "she's excited about tearing Matt and Karen/The Doctor and Amy apart?!" No, you dumbass. She's excited about her job. This is the job of a lifetime, because once you're a comapnion, you'll always be remembered as a companion. And Matt and Karen are hardly being torn apart. I have a feeling that those two will always be best mates.

To those of you on your high horse, saying "she'll never be as good as Amy", or "I feel so bad for Matt"...just...no. You're judging her before she's even had a chance to prove herself. And of course it's sad when a colleague leaves the job, but Matt auditioned with Jenna, and from what we've heard, they worked well together. If they didn't, I sincerely doubt she would have been cast.

And who knows? Maybe I'll hate her. Maybe I'll think she's complete rubbish. But let's all be fair and reserve that judgement until she makes her debut. Let's not judge her based on the fact that she's "not ginger", "not old enough", or "not Amy", etc. Of course she's not Amy! She'll be her own companion, and she'll do her own thing with the role.

And let's face it--whether or not Amy and Rory die is still unknown to us, as well. Even if they do, it wouldn't be the first time for either of them, so I have a feeling that even after they leave, we won't have seen the rest of them, as with Rose, Martha, and Donna, etc.

Let's be fair to Jenna-Louise, people.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm not judging her. I'll certainly miss Karen Gillan (she totally made me a hypocrite for the whole "Don't judge characters by looks" thing), but like with new Doctors, I'm always interested to see the new companion in action. And the new girl seems totally into it, which I like. I think David Tennant was overrated as the Doctor, but I do think he was good, and his love and nerdiness for the series was apparent.

And I think Amy's actually one of her favorite companions, isn't she? So no real problem as far as I can see.

And thankfully, this Doctor isn't the type to whine that the new girl isn't Amy. He's pretty friendly with whoever he encounters.
Xiam
I'm not judging her. I'll certainly miss Karen Gillan (she totally made me a hypocrite for the whole "Don't judge characters by looks" thing), but like with new Doctors, I'm always interested to see the new companion in action. And the new girl seems totally into it, which I like. I think David Tennant was overrated as the Doctor, but I do think he was good, and his love and nerdiness for the series was apparent.

And I think Amy's actually one of her favorite companions, isn't she? So no real problem as far as I can see.

And thankfully, this Doctor isn't the type to whine that the new girl isn't Amy. He's pretty friendly with whoever he encounters.

My post wasn't directed at you specifically. It's for the Amy fangirls bitching about Jenna-Louise before even seeing her on the show.

And yup, Matt's great that way. I LOL at the people who think Matt is all angry and depressed that Karen is leaving. Dude. It's his job, and of course it's sad that Karen's leaving, but Karen and Matt are good friends. It's not like they're never going to see each other again. Geez.

Matt's reacting the way most people are. Changing companions is bittersweet for everyone. Even though I don't like Amy, I'd probably be lying if I said I won't miss Karen after having her around for almost two and a half seasons. That said, the J-LC bashers need to take a step back and chill.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
Xiam

My post wasn't directed at you specifically. It's for the Amy fangirls bitching about Jenna-Louise before even seeing her on the show.

And yup, Matt's great that way. I LOL at the people who think Matt is all angry and depressed that Karen is leaving. Dude. It's his job, and of course it's sad that Karen's leaving, but Karen and Matt are good friends. It's not like they're never going to see each other again. Geez.

Matt's reacting the way most people are. Changing companions is bittersweet for everyone. Even though I don't like Amy, I'd probably be lying if I said I won't miss Karen after having her around for almost two and a half seasons. That said, the J-LC bashers need to take a step back and chill.

Yeah, I'd be insane for not liking her without seeing her on the show, after sticking up for Matt Smith against Tennant fangirls when nobody had seen him on the show either. xd

And yeah... they probably do need to back off about. I think Matt Smith is taking it fairly well though, considering. I mean, come on, the Doctor gets new companions all the time.
Xiam
x0_FATIMAGIC
Xiam

Yeah, I'd be insane for not liking her without seeing her on the show, after sticking up for Matt Smith against Tennant fangirls when nobody had seen him on the show either. xd

And yeah... they probably do need to back off about. I think Matt Smith is taking it fairly well though, considering. I mean, come on, the Doctor gets new companions all the time.

Honestly, Matt Smith is my very first Doctor, so it's almost kind of opposite for me...wierd seeing David Tennat in the role, as opposed to Matt Smith. I have a feeling 11 will always hold that special place in my heart. Don't get me wrong, I do love Ten. What I love most about Tennant's performance is that you can so clearly see this man putting his heart and soul into this character. But I don't think he's the "definitive Doctor." Hell, I don't think that there ever really could be one. Then again, I've only ever seen bits and pieces of "old Who."

I may have asked you this already, but what are your thoughts on each of the four "leading ladies" so far (Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy)?

Newbie Explorer

I won't have a true opinion of her until I see her in action on the show. I saw her in an interview concerning her new role and she just seemed kind of scatterbrained to me (but maybe she was having an off day). We will just have to wait and see how she works out.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
Xiam
x0_FATIMAGIC
Xiam

Honestly, Matt Smith is my very first Doctor, so it's almost kind of opposite for me...wierd seeing David Tennat in the role, as opposed to Matt Smith. I have a feeling 11 will always hold that special place in my heart. Don't get me wrong, I do love Ten. What I love most about Tennant's performance is that you can so clearly see this man putting his heart and soul into this character. But I don't think he's the "definitive Doctor." Hell, I don't think that there ever really could be one. Then again, I've only ever seen bits and pieces of "old Who."

I may have asked you this already, but what are your thoughts on each of the four "leading ladies" so far (Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy)?

Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor. But I wasn't able to get fully into the series at the time I started, so then I went and watched the entire series from beginning to end. So I don't really have any Doctor I'd consider "My Doctor."

I've liked all the companions so far. Rose was fun but perhaps a bit overrated (and overhyped by the series after she left), Martha was good because she was an actual doctor (but kind of hurt by her whiny adoration of the Doctor), Donna was a refreshing change of pace because she was pretty much just what a companion should be - a friend - and her temp knowledge came in handy. A bit abrasive, but she got better. And then she had a memory wipe which was depressing and completely ruined her character development, which I didn't care for.

Amy has been adorable and fun as hell to watch, plus she had a very good character arc where she went from a stubborn, nearly-as-insane-as-the-Doctor girl who would jump headlong into danger and had a thing for the Doctor, into a loving wife who became a bit level-headed (though still with a fiery streak). By far my favorite of the four, though I must say, Rory probably beats them all as far as NuWho companions go.
x0_FATIMAGIC
But I don't think he's the "definitive Doctor." Hell, I don't think that there ever really could be one. Then again, I've only ever seen bits and pieces of "old Who."

I think if there were to be a vote on who was the most definitive Doctor, it would not be Tennant; it would probably be Tom Baker
User Image

Or at least, he's the one who set the standard to which everyone afterwards aspired.
And he's not my favorite, so I'm not biased.
Xiam
x0_FATIMAGIC
Xiam
x0_FATIMAGIC
Xiam

Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor. But I wasn't able to get fully into the series at the time I started, so then I went and watched the entire series from beginning to end. So I don't really have any Doctor I'd consider "My Doctor."

I've liked all the companions so far. Rose was fun but perhaps a bit overrated (and overhyped by the series after she left), Martha was good because she was an actual doctor (but kind of hurt by her whiny adoration of the Doctor), Donna was a refreshing change of pace because she was pretty much just what a companion should be - a friend - and her temp knowledge came in handy. A bit abrasive, but she got better. And then she had a memory wipe which was depressing and completely ruined her character development, which I didn't care for.

Amy has been adorable and fun as hell to watch, plus she had a very good character arc where she went from a stubborn, nearly-as-insane-as-the-Doctor girl who would jump headlong into danger and had a thing for the Doctor, into a loving wife who became a bit level-headed (though still with a fiery streak). By far my favorite of the four, though I must say, Rory probably beats them all as far as NuWho companions go.

I love Martha, and I don't mind that she was openly in love with The Doctor, because, well, Rose was, too. Though, yes, I agree that Rose is really overrated. I mean, The Doctor's had tons of female companions in the past, and he will in the future. So why is Rose supposedly the end-all, be-all for him.

And yes, Rory is a BAMF. He can knock out a Teselecta with the Heil Five. XD
Are people really saying Jenna-Louise is "not old enough"? Because if so, they are morons of the worst kind.

She is currently 25 years old. Billie Piper was 23 when she was cast as Rose. And Karen Gillan, the one everyone seems to be comparing her too, was 22 when she was cast.

I reserve judgement for when I see her, just like I did with Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvil, David Tennant, and Matt Smith.

Karasunosaki's Prince

Feline Friend

17,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
Hell, I'm excited to see her in action. I like the Ponds--I like them a lot--but I think it'll be good to see a fresh face alongside Matt Smith. Amy at least has already outlasted Rose, after all...

On a related note, is anyone else praying that Mystery Companion turns out to be Romana, or is it just me? sweatdrop
scherzofrog
Hell, I'm excited to see her in action. I like the Ponds--I like them a lot--but I think it'll be good to see a fresh face alongside Matt Smith. Amy at least has already outlasted Rose, after all...

On a related note, is anyone else praying that Mystery Companion turns out to be Romana, or is it just me? sweatdrop

Nope. I've only seen bits and pieces of Romana I, but I have seen other people hoping that she's Romana III...or is it IV? O_o

Personally, I'd like to see a new character for my first companion transition, but that's just me.

While we're talking about Romana, though, is it really fair to use the term "Last of the Time Lords", anyway? I mean, I get it as a great dramatic plot device, and true, we can't be sure that Romana is still alive, but her and The Doctor are the same species, after all.

Also, exactly how many regenerations does Romana have left? She had to have shot herself at least four times before settling on the face we know as Lalla Ward.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Thats The Question
Are people really saying Jenna-Louise is "not old enough"? Because if so, they are morons of the worst kind.

She is currently 25 years old. Billie Piper was 23 when she was cast as Rose. And Karen Gillan, the one everyone seems to be comparing her too, was 22 when she was cast.

I reserve judgement for when I see her, just like I did with Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvil, David Tennant, and Matt Smith.

I don't see why age should even be an issue. I would have thought it immensely cool if Little Amelia was the Doctor's next companion. I mean, he always takes adults, why not kids?

Adric excluded because he acted like an adult even though he was clearly not competent enough to take such responsibility.

x0_FATIMAGIC
Also, exactly how many regenerations does Romana have left? She had to have shot herself at least four times before settling on the face we know as Lalla Ward.

I don't think they count, as she was just "trying on" faces until the Doctor gave up and let her keep the one she'd already wanted. At any rate, now that the Time Lords are gone, even if she did appear again, she (like the Doctor) probably wouldn't have any limit to regenerations. Probably.

I think she's regenerated a few times in the audio stories, but I can't be certain.
x0_FATIMAGIC

Of course she's not Amy! She'll be her own companion, and she'll do her own thing with the role.

Exactly! The fact that each new companion is "not (insert previous companion's name)" the whole point of having the old companion leave to make way for someone else. I mean, Amy and Rory have had a good run, but anyone who's reasonably familiar with how the series works should know that every companion leaves after a while.

Also, we don't yet know anything about Jenna-Louise Coleman's character, not even her name or what point in space and time she comes from. So let's reserve judgement until her first episode airs.

Karasunosaki's Prince

Feline Friend

17,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
x0_FATIMAGIC
scherzofrog

Nope. I've only seen bits and pieces of Romana I, but I have seen other people hoping that she's Romana III...or is it IV? O_o

Personally, I'd like to see a new character for my first companion transition, but that's just me.

While we're talking about Romana, though, is it really fair to use the term "Last of the Time Lords", anyway? I mean, I get it as a great dramatic plot device, and true, we can't be sure that Romana is still alive, but her and The Doctor are the same species, after all.

Well, if you want to split hairs, the Doctor is still the last of the Time Lords... unless Romana regenerated as a dude somewhere along the line? XD;

I dunno if it'd be III or IV. It depends on how much attention they're paying to the spinoff books, I guess.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff