Welcome to Gaia! ::

I like Martha. she was very smart and helpful for the doctor. falling in love with him was a given because what woman wouldnt! other than Donna lol...who thinks hes to skinny for his own good.
but I love Rose, She was a tough cookie. not incredibly book smart because she was still young and just an average girl. but she was very smart in any situation her and the doctor were thrown into.

I fell in love with the relationship between Rose and the Doctor too....and it crushed my heart when they were separated.
Thats The Question
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
While I am a Rose fan, I don't hate Martha. My problem with her was that she had no character development until the end of her run when it was practically forced on her.

I had no problem with her loving The Doctor cuz your right, not many people wouldn't. The problem came from the fact that that love cripled her as a character. She just kept pining after The Doctor while letting him practically walk all over her. Rose may have had a serious infatuation with him, but she never took any bull from him, same as Donna, same as Amy.

The best companions are the ones that challenge The Doctor, whether mentally or emotionally, and Martha just didn't do that.

That why she left. On the other hand, Rose was prepared to abandon her entire family FOREVER to be with him. Even Jackie said that Rose was losing bits of herself when she was with him. Honestly, that's more along the lines of what I call character cripplement.

Here's the thing. I don't doubt Rose's capability as a companion, or a person for that matter. I think she's strong, determined, and intelligent. The problem is, all that goes out the window when the Doctor is involved. While Martha stayed grounded to her own life and left, Rose didn't. She and the Doctor were forced apart, which is what made their goodbye so heartbreaking. Well, that and Tennant and Piper's stellar acting.

As for Donna, I only recently just saw "The Runaway Bride", so I really don't know what to make of her, just yet. I found her quite annoying, actually, but I'm told a lot of people did at first, and them they warmed up to her. So I'll give Donna a shot.

Amy Pond. I hate her. More than I dislike Rose. But that's a matter I've spilled my guts about plenty of times already. sweatdrop
You keep bringing up the fact that Rose was prepared to abandon her family as a bad thing, but this is supposed to be a bit of a romance story. There are tons of romance stories where people are either ready to or actually do abandon their family for the person they are in love with. Romeo and Juliet for example. They were both ready to abandon everything they knew for eachother.

Since I started this topic, I've started watching the new series from the beginning, and though I've kind of warmed up to Rose a bit, the way she emotionally pisses on Jackie and Mickey still drives me completely bonkers.

I get that it's supposed to be a love story of sorts, but I hate it how Jackie and Mickey have to keep putting up with her s**t.
La Chocolate Bliss
x0_FATIMAGIC
Rose fans hate on Martha because she fell for the Doctor, as well. First of all, who the hell wouldn't (besides Donna, LOL)?! Second, time and time again, Rose chose the Doctor over her own family, but Martha moved on, and formed a life and an identity of her own, outside of her relationship with the Doctor. Even Jackie said that Rose lost bits of herself when she was with him, yet people diss Martha for being "overly lovesick."

I have no problem with Rose fans, or people who don't like Martha. In fact, I recently saw "Doomsday", which helped me empathize with Rose a bit more. But the truth of the matter is, this reasoning behind (what I've seen) of the Martha hate, is pretty hypocritical, especially coming from some (NOT all) Rose fans who use it.

Honestly, I really dislike the idea of any companion leaving their family behind at any given point with zero to no warning just to travel with the Doctor, and Rose was willing to leave her family behind forever. True, this is a sign of great love. But when it comes to "cursed" individuals like the Doctor and Jack, a person needs to know when to give their all to them, and when to say goodbye to them. Anyone can spend the rest of their lives with the Doctor or Jack, but, tragically, they can't spend the rest of their lives with others--as the Doctor himself has said.

Which begs the question from a non-Whovian: can the Doctor ever really die?

Anyway, I don't blame Rose for Jack's immortality, or her love for the Doctor. I do realize that she's about six years younger than Martha, but Rose and Martha's decisions regarding their love for the Doctor are quite different. That's where I have a problem with Rose. Otherwise, I don't mind her quite as much as I used to.

User Image

Someone agrees with me! I love it when that happens. XD
I'm sorry but I really don't like river song at all! I find her character to be out of the picture too much for the doctor to have a real loving relationship with her and I found that the relationship between the two of them had little chemistry to it and I feel like we didn't really see the relationship between them grow together like we did with Rose ((Who I loved so much btw)).What I liked with Rose is that we got to see how the doctor and her grew together and develop into a better person and time lord creating a realistic and loving chemistry between them THAT WE CAN SEE!
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
While I am a Rose fan, I don't hate Martha. My problem with her was that she had no character development until the end of her run when it was practically forced on her.

I had no problem with her loving The Doctor cuz your right, not many people wouldn't. The problem came from the fact that that love cripled her as a character. She just kept pining after The Doctor while letting him practically walk all over her. Rose may have had a serious infatuation with him, but she never took any bull from him, same as Donna, same as Amy.

The best companions are the ones that challenge The Doctor, whether mentally or emotionally, and Martha just didn't do that.

That why she left. On the other hand, Rose was prepared to abandon her entire family FOREVER to be with him. Even Jackie said that Rose was losing bits of herself when she was with him. Honestly, that's more along the lines of what I call character cripplement.

Here's the thing. I don't doubt Rose's capability as a companion, or a person for that matter. I think she's strong, determined, and intelligent. The problem is, all that goes out the window when the Doctor is involved. While Martha stayed grounded to her own life and left, Rose didn't. She and the Doctor were forced apart, which is what made their goodbye so heartbreaking. Well, that and Tennant and Piper's stellar acting.

As for Donna, I only recently just saw "The Runaway Bride", so I really don't know what to make of her, just yet. I found her quite annoying, actually, but I'm told a lot of people did at first, and them they warmed up to her. So I'll give Donna a shot.

Amy Pond. I hate her. More than I dislike Rose. But that's a matter I've spilled my guts about plenty of times already. sweatdrop
You keep bringing up the fact that Rose was prepared to abandon her family as a bad thing, but this is supposed to be a bit of a romance story. There are tons of romance stories where people are either ready to or actually do abandon their family for the person they are in love with. Romeo and Juliet for example. They were both ready to abandon everything they knew for eachother.

Since I started this topic, I've started watching the new series from the beginning, and though I've kind of warmed up to Rose a bit, the way she emotionally pisses on Jackie and Mickey still drives me completely bonkers.

I get that it's supposed to be a love story of sorts, but I hate it how Jackie and Mickey have to keep putting up with her s**t.
See here is the thing Jackie and Mickey put up with it because they care for her and I personally, after feeling a little hurt would warm up to the fact that my daughter/girlfriend is seeing everything she can and having the time of her life because her happiness is the most important thing to me and even if I didnt like it I would just smile and nod because there is no changing her and there is nothing I can do about it she is a grown girl fully capable of making her own decisions and I would respect that, and she visits me every once in a while so I cant complain too much. Also I find rose's relationship to have the most depth and sense to it.
dinosaurus suuri
I like Martha. she was very smart and helpful for the doctor. falling in love with him was a given because what woman wouldnt! other than Donna lol...who thinks hes to skinny for his own good.
but I love Rose, She was a tough cookie. not incredibly book smart because she was still young and just an average girl. but she was very smart in any situation her and the doctor were thrown into.

I fell in love with the relationship between Rose and the Doctor too....and it crushed my heart when they were separated.
Did you cry becasue I did so much and every time I watch the episodes they say goodbye I cry

Witty Conversationalist

11,925 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Mark Twain 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
La Chocolate Bliss
x0_FATIMAGIC
Rose fans hate on Martha because she fell for the Doctor, as well. First of all, who the hell wouldn't (besides Donna, LOL)?! Second, time and time again, Rose chose the Doctor over her own family, but Martha moved on, and formed a life and an identity of her own, outside of her relationship with the Doctor. Even Jackie said that Rose lost bits of herself when she was with him, yet people diss Martha for being "overly lovesick."

I have no problem with Rose fans, or people who don't like Martha. In fact, I recently saw "Doomsday", which helped me empathize with Rose a bit more. But the truth of the matter is, this reasoning behind (what I've seen) of the Martha hate, is pretty hypocritical, especially coming from some (NOT all) Rose fans who use it.

Honestly, I really dislike the idea of any companion leaving their family behind at any given point with zero to no warning just to travel with the Doctor, and Rose was willing to leave her family behind forever. True, this is a sign of great love. But when it comes to "cursed" individuals like the Doctor and Jack, a person needs to know when to give their all to them, and when to say goodbye to them. Anyone can spend the rest of their lives with the Doctor or Jack, but, tragically, they can't spend the rest of their lives with others--as the Doctor himself has said.

Which begs the question from a non-Whovian: can the Doctor ever really die?

Anyway, I don't blame Rose for Jack's immortality, or her love for the Doctor. I do realize that she's about six years younger than Martha, but Rose and Martha's decisions regarding their love for the Doctor are quite different. That's where I have a problem with Rose. Otherwise, I don't mind her quite as much as I used to.

User Image

Someone agrees with me! I love it when that happens. XD

I've just been sick and tired of all the Martha hate, and for finally an individual to finally point this out...i'm just relieved someone else thinks. Martha was as a good companion as all the others.
xXCRONUSXx
dinosaurus suuri

Did you cry becasue I did so much and every time I watch the episodes they say goodbye I cry
I cried SO much!

Smitten Treasure

10,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Generous 100
I don't like Martha or Rose. But for a different reason. But on a dislike scale I dislike Rose less.
xXCRONUSXx
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question

See here is the thing Jackie and Mickey put up with it because they care for her and I personally, after feeling a little hurt would warm up to the fact that my daughter/girlfriend is seeing everything she can and having the time of her life because her happiness is the most important thing to me and even if I didnt like it I would just smile and nod because there is no changing her and there is nothing I can do about it she is a grown girl fully capable of making her own decisions and I would respect that, and she visits me every once in a while so I cant complain too much. Also I find rose's relationship to have the most depth and sense to it.

There's a difference between Jackie and Mickey being happy for Rose, and her just stringing both of them along. When Rose travels with the Doctor, she constantly leaves Jackie and Mickey behind, and always expects Mickey to just be there, after she leaves him. Then, she has the nerve to get all huffy about Mickey seeing other people, when Rose is practically in a relationship with someone else right in front of Mickey's face. That's what makes me want to punch her in the face.

And the real tragedy is, Rose never moved on from the Doctor, especially if you work under the assumption that she is currently with metacrisis!Ten. How many other companions have fallen desperately in love with the Doctor, and never had the fortune of getting their own clone?

Now, I'm not saying Rose and m!10's relationship is meaningless at all, because it does have an extraordinary amount of depth to it. But Martha was in love with the Doctor, as well, and she moved on with her life...with the very person who Rose constantly spat in the face. I for one am glad those two were able to find happiness with each other.

Rose is incredibly brave, sweet, kind, and street smart. But she doesn't have her priorities straight, and that's where I don't like her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff